Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Adjustable Backrest vs HD Adjustable Backrest

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 04:30 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Mustang Adjustable Backrest vs HD Adjustable Backrest

Which one is better?

Is one more versatile then the other? The Mustang is a lot cheaper.

Anyone have pics of the Mustang mounted to either a stock seat, or better yet a Road Zeppelin?

NOTE: I have the Kuryakyn Heat deflectors that will cover the mounting location of the HD adjuster Tab, It would still be useable, but difficult to get to. Does anyone know if there is a way to mount the adjuster in a different location?

NOTE 2: looking to pull the trigger on one or the other. I can get the Mustang Smooth (new) for $203 shipped or I found a used HD Comfort stitch one for $220 shipped not a big difference in price. what would you guys buy?

Last edited by steelerdude1; 05-14-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:45 PM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I switched to the Mustang BR when I bought the Mustang seat. It is a lot easier to remove when you need to and a lot more adjustable. Plus it matches the seat.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:46 PM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought the HD backrest when I bought my 2010 RK last year. I loved the backrest, but couldn't stand the OEM seat. So, I bought a Mustang solo with matching backrest.

The HD backrest has a much more solid mount, but it does not have as much freedom to move as the Mustang. It would move only an inch or so forward and backward, but the mustang actually has about twice as much adjustment. Also, the Mustang lays down nicely right on top of the seat so you can swing your leg over much more comfortably, that's important when your short legged like me.

The Mustang mount is only a single flat bar which makes it a bit flimsy in my opinion.

Either one makes a long haul much more comfortable.

Hopes this helps.

Mike

Attached Thumbnails Mustang Adjustable Backrest vs HD Adjustable Backrest-roadking2.jpg  
Old 05-14-2011, 06:02 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by mike5380
I bought the HD backrest when I bought my 2010 RK last year. I loved the backrest, but couldn't stand the OEM seat. So, I bought a Mustang solo with matching backrest.

The HD backrest has a much more solid mount, but it does not have as much freedom to move as the Mustang. It would move only an inch or so forward and backward, but the mustang actually has about twice as much adjustment. Also, the Mustang lays down nicely right on top of the seat so you can swing your leg over much more comfortably, that's important when your short legged like me.

The Mustang mount is only a single flat bar which makes it a bit flimsy in my opinion.

Either one makes a long haul much more comfortable.

Hopes this helps.

Mike
How does the Mustang adjust, It doesn't use a cable right?

Old 05-14-2011, 06:02 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had both! I'll take the Mustang 2 to 1 over the HD. JMO

Old 05-14-2011, 08:17 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

I looked at both and did a lot of research before ordering the Mustang for the stock seat on my 2010 Ultra Classic. It is very adjustable and pretty much a perfect match, I'm very pleased with it.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:26 PM
G20
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by steelerdude1
How does the Mustang adjust, It doesn't use a cable right?
The Mustang goes up and down with a spring loaded detent type adjuster. The front to back adjustments are made with a large thumbscrew.

I am using a Mustang BR with my stock HD saddle and love it.

I hope this helps.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:27 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used both and prefer the HD. Both provide comfort but on the HD it's easier to adjust while on a ride. I also prefer the way the HD backrest mounts as it's more secure and would take a thief longer to get it off the bike.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:03 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I use the HD adjustable backrest, and faced the same problem with mounting as I am running the HD heat deflectors. Solved the problem by carefully cutting a hole in the left side deflector to install the adjustment lever right onto the shield. Looks great, and easy to reach.

Attached Thumbnails Mustang Adjustable Backrest vs HD Adjustable Backrest-dsc00791.jpg  
Old 05-15-2011, 06:43 AM
Weatheredge
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...had the HD backrest Ok changed seats Mustang seat w/Backrest - e-bay'in the
HD backrest-question answered-IMO

Quick Reply: Mustang Adjustable Backrest vs HD Adjustable Backrest