Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

real world info on FM 107 kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 09:43 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have exactly 19750 miles on my HQs 107 not one problem, had the motor built when new. Stock cylinders bored out, comp releases.

Atl to New Orleans, Panama City beach, Daytona, and various other places

I would have done a SE 120 but they were not out when I got the bike; still an option for next year.

One of my riding buddies has a FM107 he loves it; we have not had a official/unofficial race cause he does not ride very fast but it is stout.

I would od comp release on any motor build cheap insurance for the starter and battery

Old 05-13-2011, 10:47 PM
pittz5
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 1931jamesw
Hey pitzz5, thats a helluva good looking King you got there. Looks like we've got about the same setup. I'd like to do the 107 as well but I'm scared the crank cant handle the power without being beefed up.
Hey James,

Thanks, yes our bikes are very close. My numbers are a bit lower than yours due to tune but it runs damn good. BTY, your advise on the 255s helped me a lot and I have to say its a great combo with the Thunderheader. Did you check your runout when you did your cams? I didnt check min as I didnt have a dial indicator. If your runout is ok I would think the crank would be ok up to 120-125 TQ/HP or so they say??? I priced out pulling crank and doing the timken upgrade along with true/weld but I cant swing that right now (lots of labor) unless I did everything myself....not likely. The FM kit just sounds like so much damn fun!!!

Old 05-13-2011, 10:50 PM
pittz5
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by lkr0
I have exactly 19750 miles on my HQs 107 not one problem, had the motor built when new. Stock cylinders bored out, comp releases.

Atl to New Orleans, Panama City beach, Daytona, and various other places

I would have done a SE 120 but they were not out when I got the bike; still an option for next year.

One of my riding buddies has a FM107 he loves it; we have not had a official/unofficial race cause he does not ride very fast but it is stout.

I would od comp release on any motor build cheap insurance for the starter and battery

Thats what im looking for, Almost 20,000 mls and no problems. Says a lot. read lots of good things about HQ Thanks

Old 05-13-2011, 11:02 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I did not check run out for the same reason you didn't, no indicator. The FM 107 kit does indeed sound like a lot of fun but I'd be sick to death if I scissored my crank and in all honesty, for the kind of riding I do, it would be mostly for bragging rights because we don't normally ride very aggressive and I'm sure you know these new wide whites aren't cheap either!

Old 05-13-2011, 11:47 PM
pittz5
Road Warrior

very true James!!

Old 05-14-2011, 06:56 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I also am concerned about scissoring the crank without welding it first. The other thing is not much cylinder wall is left after the bore job and you can expect more heat from this engine, so be prepared to add a cooler. I have had a built motor on just about every Harley I have owned. I just don't feel these new motors can handle a 107" without getting into the bottom end. Power is an addiction believe me I know and you will want to run it for the power rush but, will your quest end here? You might as well get a 120R and keep your 96". JMO

Old 05-14-2011, 08:04 AM
Delmar
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had the FM 107 kit installed a few days ago. I alrady had the 555 cam installed before hand. Surely not enough time to report on reliability but here are my observations so far. Compression releases are not needed. Engine turns over quite well when starting. I do have the SE compensator installed. Im using a Powervision for tuning and did have to tweek the tune after a few data logging runs to get it to run well. You definately will need some sort of tuner for the 107 upgrade. I need to get a few hundred miles on it before i start to reqlly get into the throttle, but a few aggressive runs tells me this thing has alot more torque and power. Its going to be a fun ride once broken in.
And yes, power is addictive. Im already making plans to have the heads worked on for increase flow.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:14 AM
Intensefab
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did the 107 install a couple of days ago. Went with the level b heads and comp releases, since i have more compression.

It is a job you can do, not nearly as bad as you would think just take your time. Still working on getting the push rods just right. She is not broken in but i can tell you she has plenty of power!!! I did go with a oil cooler to go with the increased inches.

Reliability, cant speak to that yet but FM makes a great product.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:08 AM
pittz5
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Intensefab
Just did the 107 install a couple of days ago. Went with the level b heads and comp releases, since i have more compression.

It is a job you can do, not nearly as bad as you would think just take your time. Still working on getting the push rods just right. She is not broken in but i can tell you she has plenty of power!!! I did go with a oil cooler to go with the increased inches.

Reliability, cant speak to that yet but FM makes a great product.
I think the push rods were the worst part of my cam install. i will most likely do it myself and its good to hear its not too bad to DIY it. I have trhe FM pushrods and i agree Fm has very nice stuff.

With as much talk there is about the FM 107 I figured all kinds of people would chime in here with the mileage and such on their builds. Theres got to be bike out there with 5000+ miles by now??

Old 05-14-2011, 11:06 AM
redhwk44
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pitt,
Like you I did the FM cams although I did the tw6-6 before the 555s were out. I put about 3500 miles on them and loved em. Then this past winter I tore her down and did the FM 107 kit without the heads. While I only have about 800 miles on her (thanks to the weather) she runs great. My plan is to do it in stages, this coming winter I may tear her back down and have the crank welded and install the FM heads with comp releases( haven't regretted not having them right now,but have heard about hard starting when hot). All I can say so far is that this is the way a Harley should run.
As far as doing the kit myself, I have to say I was pretty nervous at the start but looking back it was a piece of cake( having good Cust. Service available helps, ie Jamie at FM) Anyway as the summer progresses I will try to find this post and give an update but I think by then you will have probably already made up your mind. Good luck.

Jeff

Quick Reply: real world info on FM 107 kit