Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain and how fast??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011 | 06:32 PM
buggy
Road Captain

Get off the highway or I go with the flow and watch those tar and paint lines.

Old 05-13-2011 | 06:46 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member

I got caught in some light rain today. Didn't alter the speed at all. Was on the NYS Thruway and was going 70-72. If it was heavy I definitely would have. The splashing from the Tractor Trailers is horrendous. Can see much with all of that.

Old 05-13-2011 | 06:56 PM
saguache1
Intermediate

The rain isn't the problem, on the way home tonight the wind was gusting up to 40-50 mph and the rain was falling on the tar/chip road that had bad bleed thru of the tar it was like a hockey rink. Slowed down to about 40 mph, it was the back roads so not much traffic.

Old 05-13-2011 | 07:01 PM
2001NightTrain
Cruiser

I pretty much stay flow of traffic and try not to get caught around tractor trailers. Remember though, with regard to rain...the most dangerous time is just after it starts. This is due to the various oils, etc on the roadway which are brought tom the surface when the rain first starts and are (under heavy rain) washed off the road surface to some extent as the rain continues.

Old 05-13-2011 | 08:12 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior

Here in What is called South East Texas we don't get ran, We get thunderstorms. And when it cuts loose all the cages get stupid.

When this ran hits, I usually turn on the emergency flashers, slow down till I'm somewhat comfortable and stay near the right side of the lane incase I need to get in the emergency lane to avoid a dumba$$.

Most of the roads in this area have emergency lanes even the back roads.

Most of the time when I get caught there no where to pull off too, so you just keep going.

I hate getting caught in the ran, It means I have a major cleaning job to do.

Old 05-13-2011 | 08:57 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member

I slow down and stay in the left lane and try to stay ahead or way back from the big rigs. Couple year ago rode in rain and hail for about 100 miles from Sturgis got pretty beat up on my face but now I got little smarter and have a face shield for my helmet.

Old 05-14-2011 | 11:27 AM
JBA111
Road Captain

after 40yrs of ridein I aint in that big of a hurry, afterall the most accidents for cages is in rain. so I find a car wash or barn or closed store front overhang or some such and take a break and put the tunes on and take a nap. or stop an get a meal.
yea I got an ultra and a great harley rain suit, but rain ridein is just the worst crappy nasty ridein so I take a break durring it. afterall most rains are gone in a couple hours or so. hell sometimes I;ll do some little maintence, like adjust cables, check and tighten bolts or read a book I'll carry. get laid back and make phone calls or play on the laptop.
nope rain ridein been there dont that and will try and not do it again

Old 05-14-2011 | 12:11 PM
strtarrow
Banned

Said it many times before, one of the best deals from HD is their Hi Viz rain gear. Others have said otherwise but I have spent considerable time in downpours and pulled into the garage bone dry. As far as speed that is totally up to the conditions such as traffic, night or day, big rigs and so on. As far as goggles, unless I am wearing my full face which I only do in colder weather I always wear goggles. Unless I am out for a ride around locally for a while I usually have my windshield on and with that I can get away without the goggles as long as I keep it at moderate speeds when raining. I wear contacts and have lost them before when riding but that is usually if without windshield on. What I am saying is when it rains, wearing anything over my eyes makes seeing that much more difficult and dangerous so I just at that point tuck them in a pocket.

Old 05-14-2011 | 12:13 PM
drukanfu
Supporter

For crying out loud !, I've heard it all now.......what do you do when it rains and your in your car ? What would your mama tell ya ?

Old 05-14-2011 | 12:22 PM
steelhead
Road Master

Go with the flow of traffic but if it is raining hard or lots of water on the road I will stay below 65 mph. Have heard that you can expect hydroplaning to be an issue on a bike over 65. Not sure if that is fact based but figure no need to chance it.

Quick Reply: Rain and how fast??