Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake light switch meltdown

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 09:32 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.superxowners.com/tech/crosstire.htm

These switches are used on Many things with rear brakes and tires.
I bought the Borg-Warner one at Advanced Auto Parts for $10.00. Sorry can't find the box right now for exact #'s.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:24 AM
speckfisher
Road Master

That is correct Artlee, this isn't a motorcycle specific switch, it can be purchased at any automotive store.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:43 AM
easycruzer
Tourer
Default Switch

Originally Posted by speckfisher

Thanks for the help! Appreciate it. I will pick one up as a spare.

Dave

Old 09-10-2011, 12:08 AM
jackhis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by speckfisher
Here it is easycruzer
Thanks for the info, but I have to ask, what year is your bike?
Thanks again
Nick

Old 05-21-2016, 09:03 PM
Drair
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Whilton777
Anyone got a part number for the non moco switch they used or perhaps pics of the change out? I've got a pretty good idea of what has to happen to get it done, but treat me like I'm 5......pics are better!
Just get the H-D switch, and if your brakes fail causing an accident or other loss, you'll be able to sue H-D and easily win. And the non-HD switch cost me about $9 and the HD was $12. Here's why I say what I do.

My '09 FLHTCU has had this switch replaced four, count 'em... 4 times! The original was replaced under recall, the recalled switch leaked and failed to turn on the brake light (double danger!) but when I called the HD dealer I was told HD only replaces the swtich once under the recall. So then I got the non-MOCO switch at Autozone. It failed (no leak but no light) after just 1,000 miles/2 months! Now I'm on switch #4, at about 32,000, and it's the H-D official part.

If ever there was a need for lawyers and a class action suit, this is it. I'm all for being reasonable and such, but that's a two way street. HD is a very foolish company for letting a safet issue like this just keep festering. I just hope it doesn't kill me or one you reading this.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:12 PM
Sethcat
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.aboutlawsuits.com/harley-...-recall-22131/

I determined I had this issue after I noticed smoke coming from around the transmission case/ exhaust area. Traced it to the brake switch. Started googling stuff.

I typed my VIN into the HD website and it came up saying that there were no open recalls on my bike.

I am going to call the dealership tomorrow.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:21 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,856 Likes on 19,336 Posts

Originally Posted by Drair
Just get the H-D switch, and if your brakes fail causing an accident or other loss, you'll be able to sue H-D and easily win. And the non-HD switch cost me about $9 and the HD was $12. Here's why I say what I do.

My '09 FLHTCU has had this switch replaced four, count 'em... 4 times! The original was replaced under recall, the recalled switch leaked and failed to turn on the brake light (double danger!) but when I called the HD dealer I was told HD only replaces the swtich once under the recall. So then I got the non-MOCO switch at Autozone. It failed (no leak but no light) after just 1,000 miles/2 months! Now I'm on switch #4, at about 32,000, and it's the H-D official part.

If ever there was a need for lawyers and a class action suit, this is it. I'm all for being reasonable and such, but that's a two way street. HD is a very foolish company for letting a safet issue like this just keep festering. I just hope it doesn't kill me or one you reading this.
Part #33 72023-51E ! STOP LAMP SWITCH $22.02

http://www.stcharlesharleydavidson.c...7eCONTROL%5cFC

Old 08-02-2016, 06:26 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 535 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by Sethcat
www.aboutlawsuits.com/harley-davidson-touring-recall-22131/

I determined I had this issue after I noticed smoke coming from around the transmission case/ exhaust area. Traced it to the brake switch. Started googling stuff.

I typed my VIN into the HD website and it came up saying that there were no open recalls on my bike.

I am going to call the dealership tomorrow.

It should show a closed recall for the switch. On my 2009 FLHTCU the switch was replaced once before any recall. When the recall was issued I called HD Customer Service and I received a store credit for that switch. The switch was then replaced 2 more times, both times it was covered by the recall.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:21 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,627 Likes on 1,624 Posts

i replaced my switch on my 12 and made a heat shield for it.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:33 AM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by trackadaptor
Another reason I went withOUT ABS and got rid of the CAT.

Sensor lasted 27k miles, never melted, was bad from heat - location location ,location...

Took me 20min. to change the Rear brake light sensor and bleed the rear brakes... $ 18.00
=====================

Seems like it could be a heat issue

If memory serves me right isnt the brake light switch/sending unit for rear brakes fairly close to front ex pipe ?

If thats the case some 1200 deg f adhesive backed reflective heat wrap should take care of that issue.

I'd rec using the black colored heat wrap so it will not be very noticeable.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 08-02-2016 at 10:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Brake light switch meltdown