Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

again detachable tour pack

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 08:35 AM
dutchglide
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default again detachable tour pack

I know the discussion about the detachable tourpack has been done before. So excuse me for bringing it up again.
It's just that I still don't get it.

On one side there's the full pack for about $ 500 including license plate holder etc and the harley site says I'd need a disconnect harness for my limited FLHTK on top of that @ about $ 80,-

On the other side there are cheaper options that are like $ 300

What I want is a detach kit for the tour pack mounted on the bike and one plate under the topcase to simply take it on or off.
Cables are no problem to me, i'll just stow them under the seat when not needed. When needed it's just a couple of minutes to connect the 2 speaker wires and the 12v (I have no lights in the pack)
My FM antenna is in the fairing already and I don't need this 27Mc communications thing or whatever it's called.
My license plate is already under the taillight, so no need to move it.

Till now it's bolting and unbolting,
Not that difficult, could be more convenient, but not enough to justify $ 600 or more.
Can I just get the docking hardware seperately or do I need extra's?

I'm asking this because a friend will be visiting Las Vegas in 2 weeks and he could buy it at a local dealer and take it to Holland for me since these parts are even more expensive over here.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:15 AM
2011rootbeerultra
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The removable kit for my Ultra was about $ 550 plus labor. Uses the quick release docking hardware.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:21 AM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I completely understand the question and after much searching, I don't think it has been answered. You are asking if you can buy the 4 point docking kit,and bottom plate for the pak separately and come out ahead.

Here is the pdf of the kit. It looks like you could price out the pieces you need individually and see if it is cost effective: http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J04744.pdf

Edit***
I went ahead and priced out the Docking point brackets, Detachable tour rack, and fender support covers. MSRP on these came to $654.75 and online via Surdyke it came to $539.56. This does not include the 22 misc washers, nuts, and screws that are needed or the 4 docking points.

It is definitely MUCH cheaper to buy the kit as a whole even though you are not planning to use the plate and antenna relocation hardware.

Last edited by aggro_jo; 05-12-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:13 PM
dutchglide
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aggro_jo
I completely understand the question and after much searching, I don't think it has been answered. You are asking if you can buy the 4 point docking kit,and bottom plate for the pak separately and come out ahead.

Here is the pdf of the kit. It looks like you could price out the pieces you need individually and see if it is cost effective: http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J04744.pdf
Wow, thanks!
That's valuable info, finally good info on the contents. There's definately a lot of stuff I don't need.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:15 PM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dutchglide
Wow, thanks!
That's valuable info, finally good info on the contents. There's definately a lot of stuff I don't need.
Be sure to see my edit. Buying just what you need will cost way more than the whole kit.