Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb question of the day

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:10 AM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Dave
Most folks just take the heal shift off if they are in the way. They make a little cover to cover that spine so you don't have to space the front one over to hide it. The front one can be adjusted up by either rotating it on the spines or adjusting the connecting rod.
+1 Same thing I did w/ mine and the first thing I did. Don't wear a sixe 13 but do like steel toe boots so I had to raise the toe shifter to accommodate the boot. Just was uncomfortable with the heel shifter.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:12 AM
Challenger
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats the funny part! SHE said, "it's not written anywhere we cant have more than one bike"! I was going to trade her Honda Rebel 250 in on it and start her on the sporty. She said "no lets keep the rebel" theres room for three bikes in the garage.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:22 AM
alkrisma
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna07custom
Just buy it before she changes her mind

Old 05-12-2011, 10:00 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you end up having your bike for years as I have had mine there may well come a day when you wish you still had that heel shifter. Case in point: Last fall on my way home from Florida and my toe shifter stripped out but I was able to limp it to the dealer I was on my way to anyway and they replaced both spline and shifter. If I were you with big feet I would get either an extended rear shifter which for some stupid reason HD does not offer but Kuryakyn does or get the HD folding rear shift peg. But as said many people just take them off so to each their own. Personally I find it easier say when you are coming to a stop light and you have already downshifted then the light goes green to kick the heel shifter than raise the toe.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:05 AM
sargek
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the heck out of it and have size 12's, no issues. I used to hate it but once I started using it I love it.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by joslinj
I hated it at first but I adjusted mine to make it closer to the board and also installed flat shift pegs and now love it.
That's what I need to do. After 3 years of this bike I finally tried mine yesterday LOL. Set too high, it was like lifting my whole leg to shift

Old 05-12-2011, 12:09 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by winhawk
I changed out the stock heel lever with a longer one. It hangs off the back edge of the floorboard. I was able to have it close the floorboard. I have plenty of room and don't have to really lift my foot much to shift.
+1 on the longer heel shifter. Mine was so far out of adjustment new that it was unusable, and the toe shifter was out so much that my steel toe boots would not fit under it, took about 2 minutes to change it out, I went with one that is an inch and a half longer (fits the floorboard perfect, both shifters now overhang about half an inch).
I had never used the heal toe setup before this bike, and now I don't think I could go back.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:10 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The extended ones will give you 2 more inches, use two and you'll have more than enough room for your boats.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:43 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

I agree "She said???" FTF

OK, with that out of the way... I wear size 9 shoe and I HATED the heel shifter - I got my EG back in Feb 04 it is has been off since the beginning - Since then I have done three Fly and rides and as soon as I leave the dealer - I stop and that heel shifter OFF - for me It is a PIA and its danderous...
Its YOUR bike (as long as wife agrees,lol) YOU do what YOU want...

Old 05-12-2011, 01:09 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

I love my heal/toe shifter. I adjusted the rear a bit more flat so I don't have to lift my foot up as high; now it's really comfortable and I couldn't imagine life without it. Harley makes a rear shift peg that will pivot out of the way so you can get a little more room when you want it or use it when you want. Here is a link:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Quick Reply: Dumb question of the day