Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About jacks/bike lifts

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 04:26 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default About jacks/bike lifts

I started a thread not long ago about jacks and had a few pretty good responses. I already have a lift jack and I hope the latest bottle jack, made in Canada will last longer that the China crap I have replaced twice. Anyway I was interested in a center stand type and bought a Pit Posse center stand. Right on the friggin box, made in China. Well they claim this jack can be used for any cruiser. Quote from their site.

The Pit Posse adjustable center stand is designed for both American and metric cruisers with no center stand. It can be used to lift any bike where the frame cradle is exposed and available for lifting. Depending on the placement of the stand under the bike, it can often times be used to lift either end of the motorcycle. Simply rotate the stand via the long handle and use it's easy lever action to lift your bike. This type of center stand is the quickest, easiest, most versatile, most cost effective, and all around best way to lift a cruiser style motorcycle.

Bullhockey!!!!! Apparently they did not take into consideration saddlebags or bag guards as this piece of crap barely clears them. When I contacted them they offered me a 50% credit. 50 bucks for the stand, 20 for S&H. Send back I would guess close to 20 so I am ahead about enough to keep the piece of crap as a paperweight. The thing should be about 4" wider to accommodate a touring bike. Just posting this so nobody else wastes their money on this product.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Alabamaslammer
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Pit Posse is based out of St.Petersburg, Florida. www.pitposse.com

Old 05-11-2011, 05:44 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

After looking at the stand on their site,I would have questioned it.
At least they were willing to work with you.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:38 AM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the heads up! Work damn hard for my money.

Last edited by Harleyboyddk; 05-12-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:34 PM
batone
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually have one of these stands that I use on my heritage softail. The handle does get close to the saddle bags when I lift it, but I can just adjust it so that more of the stand is sticking out on the handle side and it works fine. My heritage may not be as wide as the original posters bike. Just my two cents.

Old 12-18-2023, 11:44 AM
don67
Cruiser
Received 89 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm leery of hydraulic jacks, not so much for the leak potential but my own herky-jerky hand when lowering the bike.

This
Amazon cheapie Amazon cheapie
works well, takes up zero space when not in use, and is mechanically reliable as long as you avoid the temptation to use an impact wrench. It's quick enough with a manual ratchet anyway.

Last edited by don67; 12-18-2023 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-19-2023, 10:46 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Nice seeing this 12 year old thread come back to life!

The following users liked this post:
Vec (12-19-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 11:00 AM
don67
Cruiser
Received 89 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me
Nice seeing this 12 year old thread come back to life!
I realize that, but since bikes still need servicing and there's still gravity, I figured what the hell.

The following users liked this post:
Dan89FLSTC (12-19-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 11:23 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,464 Likes on 5,045 Posts

The one thing these jacks share is that they don`t have a properly sized 1/2" square drive, they instead have a hex drive, but the hex is not a good fit for a metric or an SAE size socket, so eventually the hex drive end gets all buggered up.

Old 12-19-2023, 12:55 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,275 Likes on 3,423 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
The one thing these jacks share is that they don`t have a properly sized 1/2" square drive, they instead have a hex drive, but the hex is not a good fit for a metric or an SAE size socket, so eventually the hex drive end gets all buggered up.
Agreed. Even my Drag Specialties scissor jack, which is pretty nice for an import, has the "mystery hex" that I rattle on with the different sized sockets, and my 3/8" cordless.

I actually like doing extensive engine work on 2 scissor jacks now, instead of my J&S, more room to work on each side.

Quick Reply: About jacks/bike lifts