Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Skid plate under saddle bags

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013 | 07:04 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member

I had CVO bags on my 12 SG and used the over priced Harley stick on ones that came with it. This time I simply got a 2 pieces of the 2" wide by 6" long galvanized metal that is used for joining joists at the local Home Depot, painted them black and used 3M double sided sticky. Works perfect, total cost $3 and the galv won't rust either.

Old 05-02-2013 | 08:43 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by vtwinbmx
I went with Milwalkee Baggers. They are stainless steel. Here is a link. Nick rounded the edge with his design so it protects the corner and the bottom of the bag.

http://www.milwaukeebagger.com/product_p/mb-08sp.htm
I would recommend these. They have a roll to the side.

Old 05-02-2013 | 09:50 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member

I don't get this? There is no way ya are gonna drag stock bags? If ya lay it down, little "skid" plates ain't gonna help. And big wrap around plates that may help look like crap. I think this is what insurance is for?

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 05-02-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-02-2013 | 10:47 AM
slothy
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
I don't get this? There is no way ya are gonna drag stock bags? If ya lay it down, little "skid" plates ain't gonna help. And big wrap around plates that may help look like crap. I think this is what insurance is for?

they are for the people who run stretched bags

Old 05-02-2013 | 12:00 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member

If two faced taped on to the bags, if they get scraped, dont they moved back the bars or come off? Does the two face tape hold them that good?

Old 05-02-2013 | 03:20 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member

Here's what I made for my CVO style bags. 1/8" thick aluminum and double sided tape. I put these plates on before I installed the bags. I didn't roll the plates onto the side of the bag, but I don't see me dragging the bags anytime soon looking at the bike after the fact. With the bike lowered, my floorboards hit first.....and that rarely happens. I don't want to risk unloading the rear wheel and I'm not a "spirited" rider. I cruise.......

Old 05-02-2013 | 03:26 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by slothy
they are for the people who run stretched bags
I know (will never have them again!) but these guys are talking about putting them on stock bags????

Old 05-02-2013 | 04:01 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member

Guys this thread is almost 2 years old...Maybe beary will stop in to tell us what he did with his STOCK bags...

Old 05-05-2013 | 07:26 PM
FFZHD
Tourer
Default Carbon Fiber 1'Z

bagz arent on bike right now cause itz at the dyno man for some massaging. but they were lying on the bench so here are sum pics. not the best pics with the IPhone.

Attached Thumbnails Skid plate under saddle bags-bag-skids.jpg   Skid plate under saddle bags-bags-skids.jpg   Skid plate under saddle bags-bagz-skidz.jpg  
Old 05-17-2013 | 03:04 PM
beary
|
Grand HDF Member

I embarrassed to admit I havne't done anything yet because I didn't find anything i liked when I started the thread. Since the initial start of the thread a few more suggestions have popped up that I like better now. I'm looking seriously at the plate from Milwaukee Bagger because it rolls up the side but not too much.

I do agree the foot boards will scrape first when leaning my SG hard, but the first part of the bag to touch whe it does touch is the more on the bottom than the side of the bag. A skid plate doesn't need very much roll at all to save the bag from a normal lay over to the engine guard. The plate won't help the bags if the bike falls all they way to the handle bars, but I have other worries then.

Another reason I'm glad to see this subject resurrected is because a couple years ago I was going to add saddlebag guards. But I just like the clean look of the SG so much that I've decide against the guards and will just go with the skid plates. Honestly I don't think anyone can see the skid plate unless they really looked hard, especially if I paint them black to match my Hot Vivid Black SG.

Beary

Quick Reply: Skid plate under saddle bags