Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cycle Hill Tire changer

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 01:08 AM
GzrGlide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cycle Hill Tire changer

Wanted to give a quick review in case anyone searches for the cycle hill tire changer.

I finally got a chance to use the Cycle Hill tire changer I bought to mount a pair of Dunlop E3s. Gotta say that once you get the technique down, it works very well. The key is to really lube the inside of the tire, the wheel valley and the top of the wheel so the tire slides over the wheel lip. I managed to get the tire on the wheel by hand up to the 10 & 2 o'clock position before I had to use the mount/de-mount bar to finish it.

It's critical to make sure the lube is used in the right places. Don't be shy it wipes right off. I struggled with an older practice tire/wheel combo until I put lube on the top of the wheel and insde the tire. Once I did that, everything went easier and faster.

I had a problem with the wheel spinning in the tire changer, but Sue from No-Mar ( they make the cycle hill changer ) said to really crank the clamps down on the wheel and not worry about it. It worked.

Watch the videos on No-Mars website. You'll learn alot.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by GzrGlide; 05-11-2011 at 09:44 PM. Reason: fixed pic, spelling
Old 05-11-2011, 02:48 AM
jackhis
Road Warrior

Thanks for the info.
What kind of lube did you use?
I've just bought a "cheap" tire changer, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet.
My tires are still good for at least another couple of thousand miles, so I have to wait.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:42 PM
GzrGlide
Road Captain

I used the No-Mar lube that came with the tire changer. I don't know what this stuff is made from but it sure works well. I think you can order a tub of the stuff from the no-mar website.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:52 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by GzrGlide
It's critical to make sure the lube is used in the right places. Don't be shy it wipes right off.
It's a water based lube so no need to worry, it won't stain the sheets. Hey Gzr glad to see that you were able to Git 'er Done.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:08 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just wondering do you only change your tires, or if you run a small business on the side to justify the cost of a tire changer?

Old 05-11-2011, 10:31 PM
GzrGlide
Road Captain

Originally Posted by soos
It's a water based lube so no need to worry, it won't stain the sheets. Hey Gzr glad to see that you were able to Git 'er Done.
Won't stain the sheets!!!! That cracks me up. Thanks.

Originally Posted by dbell66253
Just wondering do you only change your tires, or if you run a small business on the side to justify the cost of a tire changer?
Nope, started changing my own tires again and also do 90% of the rest of the maintenance on the bike. I've always taken them to a shop but at around $30/tire for mounting & balancing it will pay for itself in a few years ( replace the rear tire every year, front every 2-2.5 yrs ). I would always take the wheels off anyway and have to drop them off at the shop and wait for them to do the work at their convenience. This way I minimize my downtime in a very short riding season.

Besides I had some extra cash to blow, and I don't like extra bling like chrome and big wheels with rubber band tires.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:16 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,230 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Glad to see you got it done. I've got several more to do myself. The lube they recommend won't rust the wheel on the inside, so I'm going to really lay it in there next time.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:17 AM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry about bumping an old thread but I wants me one of these and don't want to lose the info