Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What a difference Upgraded Stereo made to my bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 12:41 AM
Billdoe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What a difference Upgraded Stereo made to my bike

Have a 07 Electra Glide Classic . today i installed a Whole new system in bike.. removed Harmon KLardon stock stereo , speakers and installed a Hawgwired adaptor to fit aftermarket radio and used thier wire adaptor kit to upgrade to a Sony Radio. regaurdless i went with Pioneer so i had to Butcher the plug n play harness to fit the new stereo. then added a JL dx400/4 amp measures 8x7x1 1/2 fit on top of radio pretty much. then changed speakers to JL 6.5 mid range woofers and some 1 1/2 tweaters(had to cut holes for tweaters to mount in fairing) . then ran wires under tank and seat to battery and ran speaker wires out the back and installing some 6x9's in the saddle bags.. yes im cutting the front slash cut side of the bags to install the 6x9's (which im scared to do but doing it anyway since its what i want).. after HOURS of wiring and installing i finally got to test it with just front speakers then the rears not installed just plugged in and it was Amazing .. then started bike up turned stereo up and was amazed when i rev'd it up the stereo was Clear and LOUD.. would i do it again Yes but prolly pay to have it installed next time lol.. total cost so far is about 1200 since i went Hi End stereo parts .. Pioneer is also HiDef and has USB poort on front so i can plug a memory stick in and have a Jukebox worth of tunes.. also sold stock radio on Ebay for 525 so it covered alot of the added costs i went above and beyond the need of.. also the stereo will work with the stock finger controls but the Radio has to be programmed to do it, only volume control works as plug n play ... love the look of the radio.. and for long rides wont have to carry cd's or an ipod with wires danging anywhere , and i will HEAR what im listening to riding behind other Loud Bikes ..

Attached Thumbnails What a difference Upgraded Stereo made to my bike-img_1793.jpg   What a difference Upgraded Stereo made to my bike-img_1798.jpg   What a difference Upgraded Stereo made to my bike-img_1799.jpg   What a difference Upgraded Stereo made to my bike-img_1801.jpg   What a difference Upgraded Stereo made to my bike-img_1800.jpg  

Last edited by Billdoe; 05-11-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:26 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i'm curious, is this some sort of marine or water proof stereo? sounds like you have a lot of money and work involved with your stereo, but i bet it's nice.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:01 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Can u put a pic of your tweeters?

Old 05-11-2011, 04:39 AM
ajohnston78
Cruiser

Should begs nice system

Old 05-11-2011, 06:35 AM
MTGlide
Cruiser

How difficult was it to get the amp to fit on top of the radio? Do you happen to have some pictures of the amp installed?

Old 05-11-2011, 10:16 AM
Billdoe
Cruiser

i did have to trim a few things to get the amp to tuck above the stereo. the bezels that hold the speedo and tach in i removed and trimed the bottom part off gave me about an inch more i could push amp in... it Will be a tight fit when i finish today... i will get more pics when i get closer to having it done and all buttoned up.. and the tweaters required Cross overs so i have 2 cross overs, amp and lots of wiring . wont be a Pretty picture . if i had more room to work with i could of done alot cleaner install.. had to jam and tuck things where i could .. but yeah today when i finish i'll post pics of everything..

and no not marine stuff. the radio kit has an adaptor that has orings around it that seals it but the radio itself is normal Stereo... and for the speakers i covered them with a Speaker mat to help keep dirt and road grime out of them.. and i try not to ride in the rain so should be fine.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Billdoe
added a JL dx400/4 amp measures 8x7x1 1/2 fit on top of radio pretty much. ..
How did you get the amp to fit? I ask because 7" depth is a lot and usually too much for the fairing to go back on the bike. Pictures would be great.

Good to read that you're happy with what you've installed.

Carl

Old 05-11-2011, 11:01 AM
Geekzter
Advanced

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
How did you get the amp to fit? I ask because 7" depth is a lot and usually too much for the fairing to go back on the bike. Pictures would be great.

Good to read that you're happy with what you've installed.

Carl
I agree with Carl, 5" is a tight fit for the Vibe & Arc 4 channel amps. How did you manage to get 7" to fit?

Old 05-11-2011, 02:06 PM
Billdoe
Cruiser

posted a couple pics of inside the fairing. like i said i had to mount things like the cross overs next to speakers in a wierd possition and the amp fit pretty easy actually.. actual amp size is as follows direct off JL's website .. 8.52 in. x 7.09 in. x 2.05 in.
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=576 ... i would post more pictures but it only let me post 5 ..
only way AMP fit is cause i took the rings off the speedo and tach gauges that hold them in and grinded the pieces at an angle so amp would slide in another inch or so .. fairing went back on pretty easy. but my damn windshield screw anchors pulled out on 2 and are spinning inside the fairing.. what crappy design they did on the top 3 screw mounts for windshield ..

Attached Thumbnails What a difference Upgraded Stereo made to my bike-img_1802.jpg   What a difference Upgraded Stereo made to my bike-img_1803.jpg   What a difference Upgraded Stereo made to my bike-img_1800.jpg  

Last edited by Billdoe; 05-11-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:06 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Curious as to why you pointed the rear speakers 'forward' instead of 'in' ???

Quick Reply: What a difference Upgraded Stereo made to my bike