Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speakers in batwing

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 07:55 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I found that the speaker srews were very tight.Other than that,very easy.
Good idea to check the bracket fastners while your in there,found a couple loose on mine.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:26 AM
PGlover
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SDVmnt
Also be very aware that the screws are not all the same length. Put one of the long ones in the top and you're going to be really pissed. Don't ask how I know.

I know how you know...

Once you realize the origional location of the screws... installing the speakers is simple. I have a standard and once I fabbed the mounting brackets for an old stereo, powered it from the cigarette lighter and ran new speaker wires... I had audio in about an hour!

Old 05-10-2011, 03:59 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DO NOT take off the headlight ring !

Old 05-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Like the others said, you dont need to pull the headlight ring other than that it is a piece of cake and if I can do it, school teacher, anyone can.

Do some research about the system you want to get!!! I got the hog tunes as a gift and although it is nice, there are better more expensive options. FOr me the HOGTUNES 3-way for the free way is just right. I might buy the 7" woofers for more bass response but I am tapped after engine mods from fuel moto and skull mods from willie g. So have at it and have fun.

Ride safe and often.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:16 PM
2011FLHTK
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Replaced my stock speakers with Boom last week. Really easy. The only problem I had was getting the fairing outer to line up so I could get the two bottom screws in. What a bitch.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:48 PM
Pass Rider
Road Captain
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Installed HogTunes speakers a couple of months ago. Real easy. The only real problem I had was that I accidentally cross-threaded a screw in one of the bottom holes.

Had to get it tapped out to put the fairing back on.

And, as the others said...DON'T TAKE OFF the headlight ring.

Another hint...a magnetic screwdriver would be very helpful for some of the screws.

I may be forgetting a step, but here's what I did.
1) put socks over the highway lamps to keep from scratching the paint.
2) Removed the outer 2 windshield screws.
3) Removed the 2 lower fairing screws on the outer edge of the fairing.
4) Removed the other 2 lower screws inside the forks.
5) Went to the front and used one hand to support the fairing and one hand to take the middle windshield screw out.
6) Moved the fairing forward and up until I could get my hand inside to unplug the headlight cable.
7) Gently lift the fairing off the bike and set it down on some towels.
8) Unplug one set of speaker wires, take out the screws holding the speaker in, keeping track of which screw goes where.
9) Removed the speaker and replaced it with the new one. Put the screws in and tightened them a bit at a time so that the speaker would pull in straight.
10) Plugged in the speaker wires.
11) Repeated with the other speaker
12) reversed the steps to install the fairing.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:18 PM
Billdoe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as of Today i have been installing a Whole New system in my bike.. i did change the Speakers in the fairing and went to the 6.5 larger fit ones. they have Adaptors on Ebay to do it. But if running a Stock Radio remember the stock speakers are 2ohms and most after market are 4 ohms.. so if you install 4 ohm speakers they will not be as loud and you will be upset. believe me i did that the first set of speakers i put in. then swirtched back to Stock ... BUT today i changed everything out on my 07 FLHTC.. i Went with Hawgwired wire connector to a Sony Radio and the Bracket kit they sell . Picked up for 200.00 about 89.00 cheaper then most places sell it... then bought a Pioneer deck. re-wired the adaptor to fit the Pioneer Plug .. if you buiy Sony it plugs right in and works without cutting.. then i put some 6.5 JL Speakers and some tweaters .. i had to cut 2 1 1/2 inch holes in fairing to mount tweaters.. i then mounted a 4 channel amp from JL a dx400/4 its no bigger then the radio. they also have 2 channels if you dont want to run rear speakers.. Not Cheap but Very high quality.. i then removed tank , seat and ran wires for Amp and Speakers to the saddle bags.. i will be installing the 6x9 speakers on the front side of the saddle bag that is slach cut facing down and forward.. i will tell you this . just changing speakers is Simple but remember 4 ohm speakers will not work right in the bike. i noticed with 4 ohm spoeakers the volume doesnt rise when you take off and start riding.. volume stays same sittingh at light as riding. if doing an amp kit its alot more work but Holy Cow the sound it puts out is amazing. i did a test run rear speakers in speaker box not mounted on bike and tested the system and started my bike with true dual Rinehardt pipes (which are looud) and the stereo is as loud as the bike is at high RPM. my buddies i ride with Will Hear me now when they riding behind me for sure now .. but then again i went above and beyond on quality of system.. i think i have about 1200 into what i did .. BUT i did sell my stock Harley radio/cd player on Ebay and got 525.00 for it so was worth it for me to do hi end parts.. good luck with what ever way you go. also if you want help locating parts to use PM me and i will help. i searched for discount prices on everything i bought online

Old 05-11-2011, 03:32 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

removing the outer fairing is the hardest part of the job. once you get that off, the rest is a piece of cake.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:10 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends on how much you have to 'butcher' the install kit !!!