Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no cat stock mufflers whats that like?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 04:55 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts
Default no cat stock mufflers whats that like?

I already have new Bassani Megaphone slip on's still in the box, waiting till after my 1000 mile service to install. I have always had loud pipes on all my Harleys right out of the showroom.
On my new RK I decided to wait until after the first service, to my complete surprise I like this quieter sound. I'm over 50 now, maybe it's old age setting in. Only thing is I wish it was a little bit louder.
So I got to thinking, I want to get that dam cat out with new head pipes, I know from a Search that some of you have removed the cat with the stock mufflers on, but it was unclear just how much louder it is. Some have said it sounds good. Would be cool if the guys that's done this could give me an idea of how much louder and what you think of the quality of the sound. Myself I like a deep tone.
One other thing, in time I will get a hi flow AC and some kind of tuner, would the stock muffler screw that up?
I can return the Bassani with out a problem but I'm just not sure if I should.
Thanks.

Last edited by GPHDXLC; 05-09-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:12 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

That is exactly what I have on my Limited. No cat and stock mufflers. I'm happy!

It's a little louder than stock, but still quiet by Harley standards.

The only thing I could suggest is try it on yours and see what you think.

It's free! Except for the cat removal or replacement of the headpipe.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Dandy1
Supporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard 2 bikes sitting side by side, 1 without the cat and 1 with the cat. they both had Bassani mufflers installed. The one without the cat was louder and much deeper sounding. It sounded very good! I would think removing the cat and using the stock mufflers would yield a very good result. I have a friend of mine who installed the bassani muffler you have and the removed cat and it sounds great. Just go for it and remove the cat, add the stage1 and and remap, you wont be dissapointed. The bassani's have a real good deep sound and are not too loud.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:41 PM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Loose the CAT - the heat it makes is just stupid - look where it sits - it heats up your rear brake line and a host of wiring...

I have a 2009 49 state OEM (e bay $80.00) Harley Head Pipe with Reinharts, stage One down load, and OEM Screamin Egale Filter kit with a K&N....

Just the right sound and Wakes up the engine...

The sound from stock Vs Reinharts - with a full face helemt on the freeway at 3,000 RPM's I can just hear the pipes above the wind noise...

My Reinharts have a 96 - 99 Db rating My buddies Bassini 2 into 1 has a 105db rating Way to loud !

What is your Db rating on the Mufflers ?

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
I already have new Bassani Megaphone slip on's still in the box, waiting till after my 1000 mile service to install. I have always had loud pipes on all my Harleys right out of the showroom.
On my new RK I decided to wait until after the first service, to my complete surprise I like this quieter sound. I'm over 50 now, maybe it's old age setting in. Only thing is I wish it was a little bit louder.
So I got to thinking, I want to get that dam cat out with new head pipes, I know from a Search that some of you have removed the cat with the stock mufflers on, but it was unclear just how much louder it is. Some have said it sounds good. Would be cool if the guys that's done this could give me an idea of how much louder and what you think of the quality of the sound. Myself I like a deep tone.
One other thing, in time I will get a hi flow AC and some kind of tuner, would the stock muffler screw that up?
Thanks.

Last edited by trackadaptor; 05-09-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:52 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a gutted headpipe waiting for me in the garage if I choose to swap it out......like GP I sort of like the stock sound and my ears are pretty sensitive as it is to loud noises...(tinnitus) I'm afraid of putting the gutted head pipe on and having it louder than I want......hmmmmm

Old 05-09-2011, 05:59 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,117 Likes on 22,587 Posts

You might want to put a tuner on your bike too if you go to stage 1.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:01 PM
viperr817
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P
Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
Thanks.
Dude u have the slip ons, put them on and judge for yourself! U might just be surprised, there is set a difference in sound, but u might like it with cat and those slip ons. It's like a 20 min job, if that. no need for a tuner if u keep stock air cleaner. I did mine with cat and then wanted more tone so I installed a catless header. Look up viperr817 on YouTube I have vids of both.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:56 PM
CWO4
Cruiser

My 10 RKC is catless with stock mufflers, Fuel Moto AC and PCV. Sounds deeper and a bit louder. I'm happy with it as it's not too loud. I don't worry about LEO or state inspections, but it sounds like a Harley should.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:34 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by Port Dawg
I have a gutted headpipe waiting for me in the garage if I choose to swap it out......like GP I sort of like the stock sound and my ears are pretty sensitive as it is to loud noises...(tinnitus) I'm afraid of putting the gutted head pipe on and having it louder than I want......hmmmmm
the gutted headpipe with stock mufflers actually has a decent sound. at idle, or low rpm its pretty quiet, does not interfere with radio at all. but has a little bark when you get on it. not the kind of bark that you would use in place of a horn for a stupid move on a cager's part, but it really does sound pretty good.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior

Can anyone who has this setup (gutted cat, stock mufflers) post a sound clip? Would love to hear what it sounds like

Quick Reply: no cat stock mufflers whats that like?