Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for feedback on the HD Hammock seat

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 04:12 AM
reese
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the Hammock seat is hitting the ECM it is because the ECM is not in it's place. Reposition the ECM so it is where it is supposed to be and the seat clears it fine. Oh yeah, the seat made all of the difference for me, I did 2000 miles in 4 days late March with the first and last days doing 620 mile each day. I was tired but I could not have done that with any other seat I have ever owned on any of my bikes. Some people need hard seats, some need soft seats, this is a soft seat. You just have to try it and see if it works for you.

Last edited by reese; 05-11-2011 at 04:17 AM. Reason: adding text
Old 05-11-2011, 04:42 AM
09ultraclassicrider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Jeeper_4_Life
I have an 09 Street Glide. The stock seat sucked so I bought a Mustang Solo with passenger pillon. I ran that up until this Christmas and then I bought the newer Hammock without heat. So far I am fairly happy with it. I have not been able to go on an all day ride/trip yet, but I have done a 200 mile day and was surprised at how I felt afterwards. Seems like I could go farther without the burn/pain in the ***. I did have to put a back rest on because there is no back support with it.

My Mustang set me back 1-2" and down about 1-2" vs stock, so it let me stretch my legs, but had to reach for the bars. The Hammock set me up at least an 1" and forward about as much vs the Mustang, but it is still fairly comfortable. The increase in height is noticeable, with an 8" windsheild I was looking just over the edge with the Mustang, but now I look over it by an 1" or more. I also seem to have to reach down at the handlebars.

My wife seems to like it better than the Mustang too. She hasn't complained about sliding forward at all, so maybe they changed it from the older version. With me sitting up higher her head is now lower or the same height as mine, so she has to look around me to see. She also mentioned that the backrest hits her lower than when we had the Mustang on it.

It does seems like we can ride farther, but until we do a 300 mile or 400 mile day ride or trip that will be the real test. The only thing I have issues with is the looks. It looks kind of big and fat, not very streamlined.
This is very good information. It is exactly what I was looking for. So by doing the math, I would say that it puts you down about an inch from the stock. I have to keep momma happy with this seat as well. I think it would be hard to get a streamlined seat that is still comfortable for the long hauls. Big and bulky doesnt really bother me unless it interferes with reaching the ground. It is more about comfort.

Brian

Old 05-11-2011, 04:44 AM
09ultraclassicrider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by reese
If the Hammock seat is hitting the ECM it is because the ECM is not in it's place. Reposition the ECM so it is where it is supposed to be and the seat clears it fine. Oh yeah, the seat made all of the difference for me, I did 2000 miles in 4 days late March with the first and last days doing 620 mile each day. I was tired but I could not have done that with any other seat I have ever owned on any of my bikes. Some people need hard seats, some need soft seats, this is a soft seat. You just have to try it and see if it works for you.
Thanks, I think this is the one I will try.
Brian

Old 05-11-2011, 05:50 AM
MTGlide
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 09ultraclassicrider
Can you explain this more? Is this seat more flat (for passenger) than the stock seat versus angled allowing her to slide forward when breaking or does she slide forward for other reasons (bumps, material from which it is made out of, etc)?

Thanks,
Brian
When looking at the seat from the side, it appears that the passenger seat slopes forward slightly. I guess it could be partially due to the material being a bit slippery too.

I ride solo 99% of the time and for me, it's the most comfortable seat I've ever used.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:18 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 15,823 Likes on 4,954 Posts

Thanks for the input. What kinda miles did you put on per day with this seat? Yes I understand there are many variables with this but just trying to get a rough feel for what guys are doing in a day with this seat.

Thanks,
Brian
just did 650 in the ride to laughlin and las vegas, everything but my butt hurt!! (not really!!) no problems at all

Old 05-11-2011, 09:23 AM
09ultraclassicrider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
just did 650 in the ride to laughlin and las vegas, everything but my butt hurt!! (not really!!) no problems at all
Thank you. Those are some good miles in a day. I think I could handle that many but not sure that wifey can. I have to keep her comfy, she will be sitting behind me for 2 weeks so I have to keep her happy.

Brian

Old 05-11-2011, 01:25 PM
09ultraclassicrider
Cruiser

Ok after all the positive posts on this I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Hammock seat. I will post reviews of it after our 2 week trip we are taking out west starting the end of June.
Thanks to all that commented. Your information was very helpful.
Brian

Old 05-11-2011, 01:33 PM
reservecop
Intermediate

i have the hammock seat on my ultra and i love it. very comfortable . i have tried a number of seats and this is the one for me. i believe you will like it.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:34 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 15,823 Likes on 4,954 Posts

Thank you. Those are some good miles in a day. I think I could handle that many but not sure that wifey can. I have to keep her comfy, she will be sitting behind me for 2 weeks so I have to keep her happy.

Brian
Ah motorcycles!! where else can you spend 5 hours with the legs of wife wrapped around you... and you don't have to talk to her!!!

Old 05-11-2011, 03:03 PM
rwest1252
Stage I

I put the Hammock seat on 08 Electra Glide Classic. I'm a big guy and was worried about pushing wife back, so I installed a kit to move Tour Pak back about 3". Everyone is happy.

Quick Reply: Looking for feedback on the HD Hammock seat