Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear coat scratches on Black 2010 FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 05:30 PM
getnbizzy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also would like to mention that having someone reclear a part should be very cheap and the quality will be oem. If they use infrared lamps you can have your parts back in a few hours. If not 1 day. after scuffing the oem clear with red scotch pad or my preference P800 wet sand, it's like starting with a fresh new canvas.

FYI: After urethane clears sit for more than 3 days they are very hard. This is good for durability but not good if you're wanting to polish. Probably why so many have trouble with hazing over black after trying it on their own.

probably way too much information, but hey we love our bikes and just want them to be happy.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:46 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
You are partially correct.

Yes Harley uses urethane and it is a "softer" finish. But you are incorrect in stating that acrylic lacquer is not harder than urethane - It is!

You are also incorrect in stating that you cannot hand polish a Harley. You can hand polish anything with the appropriate polishes.

As far as the DuPont urethane finish being harder than the Harley urethane finish, I can't agree or disagree on that because I don't know the answer. But then again, I wouldn't doubt if DuPont was one of Harley's OE suppliers

The paint you buy from Harley for touch-ups may very well be acrylic lacquer - but the factory finish is urethane. Same for cars. If you buy touch-up paint from the dealer it will be acrylic lacquer even though the factory finish is urethane.

Acrylic lacquer is very easy to work with and dries very fast. Personally, I don't think it's the best choice for repairs, unless repairing an acrylic lacquer finish.
first of all i have been painting cars and bikes all my life that was my trade but iam retired now. lacquer is not as durable as urethane is. yes its easier to work with if u can find it.and harley dose not use dupont they use ppg paint. touch up over here in calif is not lacquer it base coat. lacquer has been banned form california for 20 plus years why cuz of the lead content and now most states are using water borne base coats and primers and sealers. and lacquer chips very easy and if u keep top coating lacquers they will in time crack what we call in the business crazing. yes u can polish harley clear coat. but if u dont know what you are doing u will have to take to a shop. when i scratch my clear coat most of the time i could color sand it and polish it with no problems but **** happens. i use all 3m products for detailing my bike no one makes paint products like 3M. just my 2 cents.
Rick

Last edited by roadgliderick; 05-09-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:05 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not gonna get into the do this, don't do that, use this, don't use that conversation.

First things first the OP never said what type of scratches they are. Are deep through the clear, are they minor scratches or surface that are noticeable because he knows they weren't there before.

Once ya know that, then the pro's, semi-pro's and novices can give him sound advise instead of speculating on what happened.

JMHO.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:49 PM
izzle22
Advanced

Just get some ScratchX 2.0 it works great. I use it all the time on the bike and the car. The deeper the scratch the longer you have to work it but it will work. Don't forget to throw a coat if wax on afterwards.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:40 PM
18BKLR
Road Master

Try that Black Box, I am thinking it is made by Turtle Wax. I bought it for mine and I will tell you what it works. I have always been a 3m wash and buff guy. They make a great product. But the Black Box really made it a deep and lasting shine. I picked it up on sale at Napa one day. I figured I would use it on the wife's Tahoe when the weather broke. It sat around and I was bored to I threw it on the bike and it impressed me. Swirls and small scratches no more.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:04 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by roadgliderick
first of all i have been painting cars and bikes all my life that was my trade but iam retired now. lacquer is not as durable as urethane is. yes its easier to work with if u can find it.and harley dose not use dupont they use ppg paint. touch up over here in calif is not lacquer it base coat. lacquer has been banned form california for 20 plus years why cuz of the lead content and now most states are using water borne base coats and primers and sealers. and lacquer chips very easy and if u keep top coating lacquers they will in time crack what we call in the business crazing. yes u can polish harley clear coat. but if u dont know what you are doing u will have to take to a shop. when i scratch my clear coat most of the time i could color sand it and polish it with no problems but **** happens. i use all 3m products for detailing my bike no one makes paint products like 3M. just my 2 cents.
Rick
I never said lacquer was more durable than urethane. I said it is harder. Harder does not necessarily equate to being more durable.

And the crazing you are referring to is technically identified as checking. Lacquer checking is attributable to the relatively hard and brittle nature of the film.

Crazing on the other hand is technically a painting flaw that occurs during recoat applications of lacquers, especially black and clears.

I agree that urethanes are much more durable. The softer film of urethanes provide for greater flexibilty, better crack resistance, better chip resistance. Additionally, urethanes have much higher resistance to chemicals and UV.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:57 AM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BBStacker
Not gonna get into the do this, don't do that, use this, don't use that conversation.

First things first the OP never said what type of scratches they are. Are deep through the clear, are they minor scratches or surface that are noticeable because he knows they weren't there before.

Once ya know that, then the pro's, semi-pro's and novices can give him sound advise instead of speculating on what happened.

JMHO.
..thinking the same thing...guy has a few scratches..probably minor..next thing you know people are talking about taking parts off the bike...re-clearing..buying buffers...I had to laugh...I've always just used 3M Polishing compound and some elbow grease...works for me!

Old 05-10-2011, 06:38 AM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Never seen the 3M stuff. Is it in retail stores or specialty? You've got my interest peaked.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:49 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AFMM3
Never seen the 3M stuff. Is it in retail stores or specialty? You've got my interest peaked.
u can find any 3M product in a autobody supply.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:31 PM
getnbizzy
Intermediate
Talking

If you have scratches, and I don't care how deep they are, if you use any product to polish down enough to get ANY scratches out you are sanding away clear. I'm sure you can polish the scratches out by hand if you can't afford to buy the proper tools. To each his own, but I'm a firm believer in the right tool for the right job. Regardless, you will have to use something abrasive to get the job done. Usually that's done in steps depending on how aggressive you need to get, and you will finish with some sort of swirl remover. There are products that will fill small scratches, but you will need to reapply frequently.

Quick Reply: Clear coat scratches on Black 2010 FLHX