Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Convertable

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 09:54 AM
POPASICKBOY1
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reckless fairings are great for the money, I had one.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:36 AM
TWHanson
Stage I

Sweet RK. I just got a '11 RK and wanting to add a hard tour pak similar to yours. What model pak is that? Is it from a Ultra? Where can I purchase one?

Thanks for the info,
Todd

Old 12-25-2014, 07:26 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Very nice.I did the same to my previous 2005 RK with the lowers,rear trunk & fairing w/radio& seat combo.I had a lot of fun changing the look of my bike but I don't want to think about what I spent doing it.

Old 12-25-2014, 10:31 AM
RCCola45
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Rapier
I love my Corbin but it did take some time to breakin. I don't even notice I'm sitting on it now. I really like the locking feature, nobodys going to walk off with it that just happened to have the right size wrench in there pocket.

1st off ... nice looking bike ... I picked up a 2013 Road King couple months back ... its sitting in garage keeping warm.

I am getting ready to order new seat and the Corbin Solo is on top of my list ... what is your opinion on how it sits the rider compared to stock? Back an inch and down an inch ? more or less?

I am going change out bars to either Wild1 518 or the 550 which both have some pull back so I want a seat that will be back some compared to stock. Thanks ... Timm

I

Old 12-25-2014, 05:14 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RCCola45
1st off ... nice looking bike ... I picked up a 2013 Road King couple months back ... its sitting in garage keeping warm.

I am getting ready to order new seat and the Corbin Solo is on top of my list ... what is your opinion on how it sits the rider compared to stock? Back an inch and down an inch ? more or less?

I am going change out bars to either Wild1 518 or the 550 which both have some pull back so I want a seat that will be back some compared to stock. Thanks ... TimmI
So far the Corbin solo has been the best seat for me so fare. But, It has been removed from the bike and replaced with a Corbin Touring seat. The Wife just wasn't happy the p-pad. While the wife likes the Corbin Touring seat I'm Not 100% happy with it, The driver bucket on the touring set seems narrower and applies pressure to my outer hips. It is still a better seat than anything else I have tried but is number two, to the Corbin Solo.

There has been several changes to the bike since this thread was started. The Sony Marine Stereo has been replaced with a Sony DSX-100 and it is loaded with an 8 gig memory stick with about 800 songs. I have also added a Biketronic interphase and the handlebar controls to control the stereo. This also did away with carrying the I-pod on the handle bars. Also I no longer need to take my hands off the handle bars to play with the radio.

The Road King front fender has been removed and replaced with a Street Glide lowered and smoothed front fender, (No Rivets). This gives the front end a much cleaner look and got ride of the fender tip light which for some reason I never could stand the looks of.

The air cleaner was replaced with the Screamin Eagle Ventilator performance air cleaner. This air cleaner seems to have a lower profile and gives so more clearance for the right leg.

I have been considering a set chrome front forks and custom wheels. But, I can't seem to justify the cost for a mod that is strictly cosmetic and has no performance or comfort benefits. However, I really hate the 28 spoke wheels, there a pain in the **** to clean and when they are clean the don't look much better.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:21 PM
m.colley
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've done almost exactly what I'm in the process of doing to my 2011 Road King. After buying mine I came close to trading it in last year for a 2013 Electra Glide, now I'm glad I didn't cuz mine will be so versatile compared to the Electra Glide.. Luckily I was at Smokey Mountain HD earlier this year and they had three used RK's on the floor with apes, one w/ 12.5's, one w/14's and one w/16's. I was able to see which fit me best and found the 14's suited me the most. I'm 6'3" with long arms.

The only difference between what I've seen that you've done that I went a different route on is I'm changing out my saddle bag lids to the CVO style speaker lids and I'll run two amps, one supplying the four 5.25's in the detachable fairing and one supplying the speaker lids and vented lowers w/ speaker pods.
Since the RK is almost paid for I'll have the comfort of the Electra Glide, the classic style of the RK and no payment once I'm done, then I'll start on the OL's FatBoy..

Martin

Old 12-26-2014, 08:10 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,614 Likes on 1,151 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Rapier
I have been considering a set chrome front forks and custom wheels.
First off, very nice setup Texas. I like your ride and that's what makes the RK so appealing to many. I think the chrome front end finishes the bike nicely my self.

Here's my current setup and am still debating on a fairing and wheels. I agree the wheel's gotta go.

Attached Thumbnails Road King Convertable-myrk.jpg  
Old 12-26-2014, 11:47 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i still think its the best looking touring bike by HD and like you show its can be changed in many way so easily. if they had a quick detach RG fairing i would had to think hard about one

Old 12-26-2014, 12:29 PM
Bird-man
Cruiser

I realize this is an old thread, but being in a quandry about moving from a Heritage Classic to a RK, this really helps. I am so close to making the move, and really like what I see about the versatility of the RK.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:17 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bird-man
I realize this is an old thread, but being in a quandry about moving from a Heritage Classic to a RK, this really helps. I am so close to making the move, and really like what I see about the versatility of the RK.
In 2009 I was looking for my First Harley. I've road since I was 13 and am 58 now. I had 14 motorcycles but other than a 3 week ownership of a ridge frame sportster/chopper I had never owned a Harley.

I went in with thoughts of a heritage but after looking around and talking to several people and looking over this site I narrowed down to two bikes . They were of course the Road King Standard and the Electro Glide basic.

The difference between the Electra Glide and the Road King was the glide had a polish aluminum motor (All Silver) and a Bat Wing fairing with no stereo) The Road King had the Black and Chrome motor and cruise control. Both Bikes were $16,995.00

This was also the last year off the Electra Glide.

Well the Black Motor and Cruse Control won. But looking back with all I know now the Electra Glide may have been a better choice.

If you interested here is a link to my fairing build and set up.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...g-fairing.html