Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do??

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Runninwolf
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do??

Well, Where to start. I thought it was about time I got back into riding .It has been 20 years and the wife has been pestering me for the past 10. So I do my do diligence and start researching which Harley I would like to buy.Wife was set on a Heritage as that bike brings back alot of good memories , but the more I read ,the more I was leaning to the Road King Classic. So I talk to six dealers and find the bike I want,a 2011 Road King Classic,, and do a stage II kit at the dealer, at a decent price within 100 miles of where I live. My buddies ol'lady also buys a bike,a 2011 softail custom at this dealer.
So we both go down to the dealer on April 7/11 to pick up the bikes. Everything is great .Been awhile for me ,but I get on the bike and it feels like home. We head out and ride about 60 miles and stop for a break. My buddy looks at the ground and sees oil on the ground. wtf?
Sure enough, there is an oil leak, from where? no idea. We drive home and I phone the dealer and he says bring it back or they will come get it with a trailer .I say I will ride it back as soon as the weather gets better.
Well 3 weeks goes by and the weather sucks for a 100 mile ride ,but there is a dealer within 30 miles of me , so I take it in to them. THe service writer feels my pain and says they will get on it right away. Excellent service . I have to go back to work anyways and will be gone a week.
When I get back I go to the dealer and they tell me that the leak was coming from the gasket between the the tranny and the engine, they replace it , still leaking ,so they tear it down and find out that it is leaking through the cast metal and they have to order a new case. I ask how long and they says 4 to 6 weeks??? Wtf?????
I tell them that time frame is unacceptable. They tell that they are going to phone head office on Monday and let me know what they can do. THe bike has 500km on it . I tell the service writer that they have a couple options ..a new 103 motor or a new bike . I told him that I thought it was unacceptable to tear the guts out of my bike and put them in a new case at 500 km. He says what if they make it a 110 . I don't know if he was joking or what ,but I said sure ,let's add that as an option ans I want it back in 2 weeks max. I work 8 days on ,6 days off out of town , won't be riding anyways.

So that's my long winded saga. Any suggestions as to what you would do??

Old 05-07-2011, 09:18 PM
05FLHTC
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That really sucks.

The 110's had alot of issues do a search. Now if he would had offered a 120 I would say hell ya...else I would opt for a case or bike replacement. I would not opt for the 110.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I would opt for that 110 for sure. They have cleared up the 110 issues.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:29 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

It would be hard for me to put a new motor in a brand new bike no matter what it was. I would ask for a different bike if that is an option.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:42 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i would take the 110 engine..im sure it is only an option if you pay the differance

Old 05-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Runninwolf
4th Gear

Originally Posted by j1mmy
i would take the 110 engine..im sure it is only an option if you pay the differance

Your probably right ,but i'm just not happy about the 4 to 6 weeks of down time with a bike that I have only had for 3 weeks. don't want to have all those anger management courses I took a few years ago go to waste.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Bill Mueller
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tour situation sucks. I can't believe they would give you a new motor or bike, but that would be best. If they give you a swetheart deal on the 110 I would go for it.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:20 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,370 Likes on 2,543 Posts

that, and a loaner while your bike is down.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:36 PM
ElectraLarry
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know anything about the 110 issues, but if it was my bike and I rode it 60 MILES and that happened I would take the bike back and kick and scream until I rode home on a new bike. Especially after they said 4-6 weeks for a new case!!

Old 05-07-2011, 10:40 PM
09RKC
Tourer

I wouldn't accept the bike. Replace it or $$$ back if they'll do that.
A thought... 6wks is a short time to wait compared to 15yr of worry-free riding. My 2 pennies <g>...

Quick Reply: What would you do??