Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Runninwolf
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
Sorry to hear about your bike. Seems like the only option you have is to let the dealer rebuild the motor with new cases.

The exact same thing happened to me. I bought a new Ultra Classic in 2005. It started leaking oil at 4828km. The problem was porosity in the engine cases. My dealer removed the motor from the bike and rebuilt it with new cases engraved with the bike's VIN number. Total downtime was about 2.5 weeks, most of which was spent waiting for the new cases to arrive from Harley.

I bought my current bike used (2008 Ultra Classic). After my previous experience I refused to buy another new Harley.
This is exactly what has happened ,but at 500 km.
Only thing different is the time frame to fix it, and the mileage that the problem showed up . couldn't remember that word "Porosity".

Old 05-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Runninwolf
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Bowhunter61
Sorry to hear this, but it happens with anything. Now, I'm not why you think this dealer that you did not buy the bike from should bend over backwards to get it finished in YOUR time frame. Hell you even admitted "excellent service" and I would say so if they got it right in.

If it was the dealer who prepped it and sold it then yes, they should prioritize this for you, but I just don't see why you think the closer dealer should.

I know both dealers very well ,the one that has it ,and the one that I bought it from.There service departments are both good, and I don't blame the dealer for things that are out of there control.

As far as dealer goes ,they are on my side and are going to be talking to head office .. dealer has no control as to when cases show up from the factory with my serial on them , but head office does ,and that is who is going to make the final decision. hopefully we can come to an amicable agreement on the problem.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:25 PM
allofus81
Intermediate

Seems to me that you should have let the dealer you bought it from come and pick it up like they had talked about and then your new motor would dam near be there by now. Then you wouldnt be complaining about the situation so much. Sorry about the new bike though hope your back on the road soon.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:46 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go for a new bike....to replace the bike leaking oil.