Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 unltra ? pinging with Fuel Moto stage one

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011 | 09:26 AM
kccustom
Road Master

Wait, go back. Did you say the the O2 sensors were hooked up?

The instructions I got with mine was to leave them disconnected.
Do you have auto tune?

Old 05-12-2011 | 11:55 AM
Toe Knee
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by kccustom
Wait, go back. Did you say the the O2 sensors were hooked up?

The instructions I got with mine was to leave them disconnected.
Do you have auto tune?
no....the o2 sensors were not hooked up with the PCv on the bike. you are correct. NO sensors with the pcv.

even further, they were put back on after removing it. the only thing I have to add today is that the bike is on it's way to dealer and the pcv is on it's way to Jamie at FM.

Both seem more then willing to help me work through this. Hopefully I'll have the bike back in time for a rally i have next week.

Old 05-12-2011 | 01:16 PM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain

I recently would have pinging when my bike was hot, in gears 2 & 3, under load. I was in the mountains riding switchbacks, I would hear pinging on the straight aways. Keith sent me a MAP with the ignition tables set to 0, where the old MAP had 2's. I saw nothing else different.

Now, by retarding the timing, is all the fuel being burned off during the cycle? Does retarding the timing affect fuel mileage? Also, does retarding the timing cause flat spots in acceleration?

Thanks.

Old 05-12-2011 | 02:47 PM
hockey8787
Outstanding HDF Member

What does Jamie think th problem is??

Old 05-12-2011 | 05:37 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by FX4
I think this falls under the trouble shooting rule of what did you do last. That is more than likely the cause of the problem. He didn't have a problem prior to the stage one so an intake leak is most likely not the cause. Although this brings to mind Tony, did you use the Fuel Moto modified SE Air cleaner? Did you cap the plug on the intake?
Can somebody chime in here. I'm wondering if I missed something. I ride a 2010 FLHX and just did the Fuel Moto Screaming Eagle air cleaner and I did not plug any vacuum line. I didn't see mention of it in the instruction set either. Anybody with a 10?

Old 05-12-2011 | 05:41 PM
JollyRogers
Road Master

I have pinging in my 11 RGU. Running FM PCV, Pro Touring exhaust, and FM intake all from FM. I noticed it when I made the switch. It ONLY happens under slight throttle increase on hills etc around 2800 -3200 rmps. If I get on it hard it doesn't do it, if I keep it below 2800rpms it doesn't do it. The problem is, that 3K is my riding zone in 5th back/forth to work and in 6th on the interstate. It does it in all gears ~3krpm. Say put on the cruise @2900/3000 rpms, hit a slight incline and I get it. It is different then the valve noise I get in the upper rpm range and it gets worse with heat.

I chased it. Reduced timing to all 0, added fuel etc. Talked to Keith several times and through email to Jamie. Got it to reduce but never got it sorted to the point of going away. I could try a dyno tune, but not sure if it will help or not. With the heat coming on, I am not sure what I am going to do... Thought of adding autotune or going to the PV... maybe changing to a different cam... just not sure. I do know that I don't enjoy hearing this noise when riding. I am ok with valve train noise, but not the what almost sounds like rocks hitting my front fender from kick up of the front tire.

I really hope you get things sorted Toe Knee. I have pulled my PCV off at least a dozen times to take inside to change the map. I have never had a problem like yours. In fact gonna pul it now to change the map again... trying to get rid of the damn ping.

PS: No vacuum line to plug on my '11 or my '09.

Last edited by JollyRogers; 05-12-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-12-2011 | 05:57 PM
Toe Knee
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rickr01
Can somebody chime in here. I'm wondering if I missed something. I ride a 2010 FLHX and just did the Fuel Moto Screaming Eagle air cleaner and I did not plug any vacuum line. I didn't see mention of it in the instruction set either. Anybody with a 10?
No worries. there is no "plug" for the vac line on any touring bike 08 or later. I can't speak for the 07 model year. At least for the round SE stage one backing plate. Fuel Moto uses that same SE backing plate with the better K&N filter instead of H-D's stage one filter.

Old 05-12-2011 | 06:20 PM
Toe Knee
|
Road Master

I just wanted to make clear that my issue was not an occasional ping. it was a violent miss fire in both cyls. Every bike is different and I am convinced my issue is isolated. It is foolish for me to try to guess at this point because I have to wait for the bike to be looked over by the dealer. Jamie IS involved and I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of it. I can't and won't speak for Jamie but I know by just talking to him that he does NOT take this lightly and IS concerned.

Using a canned map (even though jamie's is usually spot on-history speaks for itself) doesn't mean that you don't (and sometimes) have to make little tweets here and there. sometimes even a dyno tune is inevitable.

(when I had my 2008 touring bike) the first pc3 i bought from FM had me grinning from ear to ear for a year. I only dyno'd it because the curiosity got the best of me. Yes it did run a little better but only slightly and it's to be expected. there are SO many variables that go into dyno'ing a bike that it's impossible to create one map for all bikes. That's why the stock settings are so damn benign. among other reasons, they set them to a point that all bikes will "run well".

I guess what I am saying is-Please don't take my "case" as the norm or that it is in any way common for this to happen. 1000's on top of 1000's our bikes are running just fine with stage ones and fuel processors.

Old 05-13-2011 | 07:08 AM
Pass
Advanced

Originally Posted by Toe Knee
I just wanted to make clear that my issue was not an occasional ping. it was a violent miss fire in both cyls. Every bike is different and I am convinced my issue is isolated. It is foolish for me to try to guess at this point because I have to wait for the bike to be looked over by the dealer. Jamie IS involved and I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of it. I can't and won't speak for Jamie but I know by just talking to him that he does NOT take this lightly and IS concerned.

Using a canned map (even though jamie's is usually spot on-history speaks for itself) doesn't mean that you don't (and sometimes) have to make little tweets here and there. sometimes even a dyno tune is inevitable.

(when I had my 2008 touring bike) the first pc3 i bought from FM had me grinning from ear to ear for a year. I only dyno'd it because the curiosity got the best of me. Yes it did run a little better but only slightly and it's to be expected. there are SO many variables that go into dyno'ing a bike that it's impossible to create one map for all bikes. That's why the stock settings are so damn benign. among other reasons, they set them to a point that all bikes will "run well".

I guess what I am saying is-Please don't take my "case" as the norm or that it is in any way common for this to happen. 1000's on top of 1000's our bikes are running just fine with stage ones and fuel processors.
Jaime is definitely the man! He'll get ya figured out! He's been working with me constantly... And even better news is that sometime today or next week they will get new software for the Power Vision that will allow them to view the logs and it will automatically generate a solid map based on YOUR bike! It should even record pings and such. So it's kinda like Dyno'ing w/o the dyno time. This may be an option for you if you don't get it worked out on the PCV.

No doubt that your level of issues are isolated -- sounds like compounding issues to me, each one separate but pushing the others. I simply have pinging at load when hot -- which happens...

Old 05-13-2011 | 03:37 PM
Toe Knee
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Pass
Jaime is definitely the man! He'll get ya figured out! He's been working with me constantly... And even better news is that sometime today or next week they will get new software for the Power Vision that will allow them to view the logs and it will automatically generate a solid map based on YOUR bike! It should even record pings and such. So it's kinda like Dyno'ing w/o the dyno time. This may be an option for you if you don't get it worked out on the PCV.

No doubt that your level of issues are isolated -- sounds like compounding issues to me, each one separate but pushing the others. I simply have pinging at load when hot -- which happens...
Pass-i am trying to decide which to go with but can you point me to some place that explains narrow/wide band o2 sencors? Also does the pv have auto tune with the stock sensors? Oh-and what happens if u happen to need a new ecm (not common) or if you trade in your bike? Could the unit be sent to dyno jet to be somehow reset to be used on your next bike?

Quick Reply: 2010 unltra ? pinging with Fuel Moto stage one