Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 unltra ? pinging with Fuel Moto stage one

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011 | 07:53 PM
Toe Knee
|
Road Master

Ok fellas. Here's a status report. As I mentioned above, I changed the table to the second one that I posted on the first page of this thread. I rode to work this morning and all was good. On the way home today, I traveled 25 miles on the highway and then another ten or so around town so that I would get the bike REALLY warmed up.

I experienced a SLIGHT ping. but as ke5rbd stated-a hard violent ping on excel is BAD. VERY BAD. I spoke to my father who's engine theory is so second nature to him, it's scary. He reiterated what ke5rbd posted but assures me that in order for some REAL unreverseable damage to happen it would have to go untreated for quite a bit longer. I hope he's correct. I'll be watching for some funny smoke to make sure there isn't a ring issue but i doubt that seriously.

When I got home, I let the bike idle while I got the laptop set up and I Zeroed out the entire advance table. I went for a ride and HAMMERED the bike. at low rpm, at high rpm and at just right rpm. BINGO-no ping. I'm happy that I was on the right track and you guys helped me out to realize it and also gave me some pointers.

I NEED to discuss this with jamie. Not to b!tch and moan but make sure he doesn't send this map out to anyone. It was an honest mistake but things could have gotten ugly very quickly.

The only issue is that even though the bike runs well, I am missing a teany bit of oomph when "wapping" the throttle open AND there is some popping on decel (which can be directly fixed with advanced so I'm told). I'd like to see if there might be a happy medium.

What say you guys?

Old 05-08-2011 | 07:59 PM
hockey8787
Outstanding HDF Member

Just put a little timing back in it at a time till you hear the pinging and then back it off 1 degree!!

Old 05-08-2011 | 09:28 PM
user 8373900
Banned

Your popping can be 'quenched' with 15's in the 0 column from 1750 all the way down.

Old 05-08-2011 | 10:39 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

I have a 2011 103 Limited and like the OP I had pinging issues. With the bike in stock form the pinging was extreme, especially on hot days (85+ deg). It would ping even under moderate load, cruise conditions, in any gear.

As soon as I installed the PCV the pinging was significantly reduced but not completely gone. My map had some +2's in the timing tables. I zeroed them out and that completely eliminated the pinging.

There are so many variables that can cause pinging that I wouldn't question the accuracy of the FM supplied map(s). It's simply a need to tweak the tune to your own environment.

Old 05-09-2011 | 01:08 AM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 2black1s
I have a 2011 103 Limited and like the OP I had pinging issues. With the bike in stock form the pinging was extreme, especially on hot days (85+ deg). It would ping even under moderate load, cruise conditions, in any gear.

As soon as I installed the PCV the pinging was significantly reduced but not completely gone. My map had some +2's in the timing tables. I zeroed them out and that completely eliminated the pinging.

There are so many variables that can cause pinging that I wouldn't question the accuracy of the FM supplied map(s). It's simply a need to tweak the tune to your own environment.
Glad pinging is under control. If you had injured the engine you would already know it. Running with open headers and not hearing the ping is when you hurt things. I use the two map switch and keep a known good map in one position and change the other map. If not good switch to good map and keep riding.

Old 05-09-2011 | 10:07 AM
Toe Knee
|
Road Master

Update. No surprise here....jamie kicks *** and will take a peek and get back to me. I believe no error was made......just diff bikes like dif timing.

Old 05-09-2011 | 11:51 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Which line is considered the timing line? I'd like to look at what mine is set at. Fuel Moto sent my PCV 5 pre loaded based on a Stage one Fuel Moto air cleaner assy. and my Vance and Hines Pro Pipe. Unfortunately, I cannot ride yet so I don't know how she is going to be. The dirt roads I live on are still suffering the ill effects of a bad winter and rainy spring. I'm thinking that Jamie would set all 96 inchers with similar set ups the same?

Old 05-09-2011 | 05:56 PM
user 8373900
Banned

Originally Posted by Rickr01
Which line is considered the timing line? I'd like to look at what mine is set at. Fuel Moto sent my PCV 5 pre loaded based on a Stage one Fuel Moto air cleaner assy. and my Vance and Hines Pro Pipe. Unfortunately, I cannot ride yet so I don't know how she is going to be. The dirt roads I live on are still suffering the ill effects of a bad winter and rainy spring. I'm thinking that Jamie would set all 96 inchers with similar set ups the same?
You have to open the ignition tables for each cylinder, and adjust both the same.

Old 05-09-2011 | 06:05 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Roadan
I had the same problem with my FM PC V and spoke to Jamie. He sent me a new map which had all the timing removed, zero's across the board. It worked just fine. He said it had something to do with ethynol in the fuel. I did try modifying my own maps by adding +1 timing in the right cells where it had been removed but always got some pinging. Give it a try yourself.
I noticed that with my PC3, get a tank heavy on ethanol and it starts pinging. Haven't really seen a problem with the Vision tune.

Old 05-09-2011 | 06:07 PM
Toe Knee
|
Road Master

Well fellas. It's NOT good. spoke to jammie this morning....he said he'd send a new map...road home from work and the bike is running like crap with everything zero'd out. I called jamie and JUST caught him still there. I was surprised that he didn't even remember our conversation. So I went through the whole story again.

You know the bulk of the story but now, the bike can NOT hold steady throttle and it surges terribly to the point that the bike is going to die!!!! I JUST make it home. Call jamie and he says take the Power commander off. (like I knew he would)

Me: "is it ok to run the bike with a kandn and no pc?"
jammie: "yes-it will be lean but nothing will damage"
Me: "ok, I'll speak to you tomorrow."

So I take off the power commander. I go to leave my drive way----the bike gets a check engine light and goes into catistophic mode or whatever the hell H-D calls it. it almost sounds like it does when it's in parade mode only WAY worse. I double check that the ecm is connected correctly, the 02 sensors are on, I cycle the ignition and NO CHANGE!!!! I have a 20k boat anchor in my driveway that ran PERFECTLY before all of this. I AM PISSED.

I called jamie back....GREAT-he's gone for the day.

I pull the codes on the speedo. I get 2 o2 sensor codes and then p1351. I plug in the o2 sensors and re-start the bike....no change.....pull them again and p1351 is back.

That's "Front ignition coil open/low" per the manual. Freak'n wonderfull!!!!!!

Here's the clincher.....I don't have my stock AC braket. Take a wild guess what happens when I call the dealer to look at the bike....yup----You fried it by running the bike with a kandn and no change to the ecu.

NEVER AGAIN!

Last edited by Toe Knee; 05-09-2011 at 08:13 PM. Reason: to say I plugged in the o2 sensors and THEN restarted the bike.

Quick Reply: 2010 unltra ? pinging with Fuel Moto stage one