Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 unltra ? pinging with Fuel Moto stage one

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011 | 05:48 AM
devious56
Cruiser

Did you ever think of calling Jamie at Fuel Moto?

David

Old 05-08-2011 | 05:58 AM
T K Glider
Road Master

Or maybe call Fuel Moto?

Old 05-08-2011 | 07:21 AM
Toe Knee
|
Road Master

Call Fuel Moto? hhhmmmm. ya-thought of it but when I posted this, it was saturday. Not opened. Lots of guys here have been toy'n with the PC5 (with good results) for quite awhile now.

Last edited by Toe Knee; 05-08-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Old 05-08-2011 | 07:25 AM
Toe Knee
|
Road Master

I changed the timing tables to the SECOND one that I posted on the first page. I rode 25 miles to work and the bike didn't seem to have an issue. I'll have to wait until the ride home because there was no traffic and the bike really didn't get up to the temps that causes this issue. (1st happened in bumper to bumper traffic in boston)

If there is no change, I'll over write all values to 2 instead of the 3+4 that fuel moto supplied. It's worth a shot until I can give them a call.

OH! I also changed the plugs. other then one's electrode being slightly mis-aligned they looked ok to me. the front one was blacker then the rear.

Old 05-08-2011 | 07:31 AM
Roadan
Cruiser

I had the same problem with my FM PC V and spoke to Jamie. He sent me a new map which had all the timing removed, zero's across the board. It worked just fine. He said it had something to do with ethynol in the fuel. I did try modifying my own maps by adding +1 timing in the right cells where it had been removed but always got some pinging. Give it a try yourself.

Old 05-08-2011 | 08:07 AM
Toe Knee
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Roadan
I had the same problem with my FM PC V and spoke to Jamie. He sent me a new map which had all the timing removed, zero's across the board. It worked just fine. He said it had something to do with ethynol in the fuel. I did try modifying my own maps by adding +1 timing in the right cells where it had been removed but always got some pinging. Give it a try yourself.
thanks.....This is exactly what I am going to do. It's funny-if you stare and compare all the maps on dyno-jet's web page, there is no rhym or reason to the ingition tables. I guess it's one of things where "every bike is different". If i have an issue on the way home, I am going to do what you said (and what I was going to do this morning) Zero them all out. After that-it's ommiting the pcv all together and trying it that way.

Man! I hope this is just a pcv issue and not the coil, a sensor or something else. when this happens, it's not an passive ping. it sounds as if one of the plugs is firing continuously unless you back off the throttle.

Old 05-08-2011 | 08:09 AM
Toe Knee
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Roadan
oh! and nice bike. I'm from mass as well. grew up on the north shore but now live on the south side. It was tough getting a visa to move "over the bridge". LOL

Old 05-08-2011 | 08:31 AM
Roadan
Cruiser

oh! and nice bike. I'm from mass as well
Thanks. I'm in S.E. Mass and been here forever.
The pinging I had was pretty much just during a hard roll-on and it was quite violent. It only lasted for a second though. Made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I believe the knock sensor took over at that point and backed off the timing electronically.
FWIW, I bought 2 PCV's at the same time. 1 for my wife's 08 FLHTC and she didn't have any pinging issues with the FM map with the added timing advance. Niether of us has a cat. conv. in our headpipes and that might add to your pinging issue with the added heat.
Let us know how the timing removal works.
Dan

Old 05-08-2011 | 08:36 AM
deanp1964
Road Master

Keep Jamie at FM in the loop. They really want happy customers from what ive seen

Old 05-08-2011 | 08:45 AM
Toe Knee
|
Road Master

road-I'll update with an outcome. for sure. I'm in Whitman. bought a house there last year. Grew up in Everett and was an EMT all over the north shore in my 20's. (i'm 40 now). All I can say is - I'm NEVER moving back. Love the south shore. Really nice ride'ing.

Dean, no issues with FM. They are the best in the biz and I've got nothing but good things to say about them. from the young lady who fills the orders to kevin and jamie-They are top notch.

I'm seriously thinking this is an advance issue and EVERY bike is different when it comes to that. Like someone mentioned earlier, 3's and 4's can be on the agressive side and what works for one bike won't work for another.

I'm just relieved that it sounds to others that I'm on the right track. Like roadan says when it happens, it's VERY nerve racking!!!!

Quick Reply: 2010 unltra ? pinging with Fuel Moto stage one