Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mission Accomplished/Ruined Friend's Day

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:15 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

an 88 has to be worked to run well. It will make power, but at a slightly higher RPM.

Boring it to 95 lowers the RPM range where it will begin to make power.

~joe

Old 05-12-2011, 06:11 AM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All i can say is line um up! If you're ridin a cvo bagger with no internal mods, i take your money EVERY time. This wasnt meant to be turned into a pissin contest. I was merely stating the facts! Galdog can make his 88tc respectably fast for not a ton of cash. There are several guys around here with pre-07 bikes that run circles around cvo's.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:03 AM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When compairing stock for stock. Sure the 103 is slightly better then the 88/96. The 96 is not much better then the 88 on top but the 88 tends to spin up faster then the 96 due to having a smaller stroke. They both share the same bore size. Bore the 88 to a 95, add some cams, intake mods and a better set of slipons and they become power houses that spin up fast and build great power. Do Add cams, intake mods and exhaust mods to the 103 and it becomes a bike and should stay just ahead of a 95 once spun up. The 95 will still spin up faster and get to speed a little quicker.

Now as for 110s. They are severly chocked down from the factory. They are not a huge leap above the 103s as far as power (HP&Torque) goes.

Now the only people to blame is harley on this. They have terrible design limits on their stock bottom ends and drivelines. Pushing the top ends of these motors puts alot of strain ont he stock bottom ends (cranks) and the driveline (primary setup).
There are many posts around the net were people are complaining about crank runout going out of spec on stock motors. This gets worth when modifying the motors and is why some have gone as far as pulling th ebottom end and sending the crank away to have it trued and welded etc. This problem could be fixed by updating the tooling on the cranks for a better pressed fit. As the tooling wears over time the parts don't fit as snug as they used too. I seen this happen a few years ago with a popular snowmobile manufacturer. This was verified when I took a two week traiing class to become a certified tech at a dealer for this brand. They had added a crank truing segment to the training according to the instructor which added a couple extra days to the class. I was happy in a way because I really enjoy learning new things. It is actually quite easy to do if you have the proper measuring devices etc.

But what harley is doing, with their power output of these motors, is what I call "building in a cushin" so they can stay away from warrently claims due to crankshaft issues.

That and they don't have enough computer control on their bikes to manage the fuel system along with keeping emissions in check.

A few simple updates to the crank manufacturing process and updates to their fuel managament and they could be turning out smaller stock motors that put out great power and still meet EPA demands.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:13 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by traveler
95 is no joke. short stoke, oversquare motor. Set up correctly, it's a VERY strong powerplant.
95 is a good motor, but at 3.875 x 4.00 it's still undersquare. You have to go more than a 4 inch bore to get to oversquare. 4.060 x 4.00 103 or 4.125 x 4.00 107.

What I find implausible is that coolerman has found multiple CVO owners actually willing to "race" him. I know a few CVO owners, and most of them are afraid to get their bikes dirty, much less ride them hard. Many of these CVO baggers are low mile garage queens.

The guys willing to wring out their bikes are the guys who have put a little time and $$ into motor mods. I seriously doubt you'd find many guys with stock CVO baggers willing to race you, much less to 120 mph. That's where I throw the bs flag.

Last edited by Mike; 05-12-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:43 PM
ThaGlyde
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
95 is a good motor, but at 3.875 x 4.00 it's still undersquare. You have to go more than a 4 inch bore to get to oversquare. 4.060 x 4.00 103 or 4.125 x 4.00 107.

What I find implausible is that coolerman has found multiple CVO owners actually willing to "race" him. I know a few CVO owners, and most of them are afraid to get their bikes dirty, much less ride them hard. Many of these CVO baggers are low mile garage queens.

The guys willing to wring out their bikes are the guys who have put a little time and $$ into motor mods. I seriously doubt you'd find many guys with stock CVO baggers willing to race you, much less to 120 mph. That's where I throw the bs flag.
The two cvo owners I ride with wipe their bikes down at stop lights and put dust covers on if we stop at a resturant. They do ride but not too fast. Last week they were bragging about 90.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Clayslayer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also a happy FuelMoto customer. I have the A/C, 2-1-2 headpipe, PC-V, and SuperTrapp SE mufflers on an otherwise stock 103. It runs down the road just fine and sounds a LOT better than it did stock. Jamie claims that it's good for 83hp or so give or take, I'm reluctant to dyno it because I'm pretty darned sure it doesn't make that much power. It has more "oomph" than it did stock, I can use 6th gear at 55mph, and it requires less downshifting but how much more power it has now vs. what it had before is anyone's guess.

I'll also agree with the CVO owners out there being reluctant to push their bikes all that hard. Most of the ones I'd seen looked great once you helped the wealthy coffin stuffer unload it from his trailer. I've yet to see one with over a thousand miles on the odometer.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:45 PM
geneinnc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"keeping up" gets people killed.

I ride where I am comfortable. If the group leaves me, I could care less.

If I'm leading, and pulling away, I slow down.

I ride because I enjoy it. If I wanted to race, I would go to the drag strip.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:19 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Just wait until your friend does the same to his 103". Then he'll be the one posting.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:25 PM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think I'll trade my 120r for a 88!!! Come on let's be realistic.