Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Today's project, gutted a 2011 2-1-2 pipe, with pics.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Ron "Gunner" Retzlaff
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What effect would this have without a programmer

I have heard that this will cure the blast furnace on the back of the right calf. What would it do for a motor without using a programmer afterward? I am running a completely stock 2010 Road King Classic with around 16,000 trouble free miles. My only issue is with the heat that the catalyst generates, I live in South Texas so I need all the heat reduction I can get.

Thanks,
Ron "Gunner" Retzlaff

Old 05-06-2011, 09:39 PM
fishboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am pretty positive you will need a 're-tune' after this mod. I am curious as to what this sounds like with the stock pipes. I have been searching for a decent sound clip that has this mod done with the factory pipes.

-fish-

Old 05-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Guy2008Ultra
Intermediate

Hey how hard is the CAT material?
I did one in a car that was built into the pipe and I was able to just chiseled it out, it came out in chunks and dust but it was old and burnt.
I was just wondering if you took a rod and ground it into a bladed tip and beat it out.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:29 PM
scotracy
Road Captain

My question would be what the hell it does to the warranty. I figure you have 2 years unlimited mileage, but the moco may tell you to take a hike if it fricks up your engine. If you get an authorized dealer to do it...you would be better off.... I could see this going in a bad way... or better if you get a dealer to do a different header. I know it is a cheaper way to go...but 400 for new header or 10 times that amount for a new motor...pretty ballsy move...

Old 05-06-2011, 10:58 PM
JC Turbo
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gmcretz
I have heard that this will cure the blast furnace on the back of the right calf. What would it do for a motor without using a programmer afterward? I am running a completely stock 2010 Road King Classic with around 16,000 trouble free miles. My only issue is with the heat that the catalyst generates, I live in South Texas so I need all the heat reduction I can get.

Thanks,
Ron "Gunner" Retzlaff
Its my understanding that by removing just the cat the computer can compensate. Anything else like a/c u will def need a tune.

Originally Posted by fishboy
I am pretty positive you will need a 're-tune' after this mod. I am curious as to what this sounds like with the stock pipes. I have been searching for a decent sound clip that has this mod done with the factory pipes.

-fish-
I just did a buddies 11 103 StreetGlide. I will get a sound clip and post it up. It sounds A LOT better!!

Originally Posted by Guy2008Ultra
Hey how hard is the CAT material?
I did one in a car that was built into the pipe and I was able to just chiseled it out, it came out in chunks and dust but it was old and burnt.
I was just wondering if you took a rod and ground it into a bladed tip and beat it out.

The cat material is metal that is thinner than a soda can. I busted right through it with an air chisel.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:34 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Did my 11 Limited, bought a spare full exhaust system for $125 so if I need to go back stock for a warranty issue I can. Stock mufflers sound great with this mod, better than the Jackpots I had in my opinion. No need for a tuner, the ecm compensates fine. The biggest benefit is the loss of heat, it's like night and day. Performance seems to be a little better than stock. I cant see paying $450 for a head pipe for a 4 hp gain, big waste of money in my opinion. Make sure you paint over those welds with some high temp paint.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:06 AM
fxdsegrl
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My husband just did the cat mod last week to his 2011 CVO RG. He bought some gutted stock headers from someone on Ebay. The dealer did the install along with his first service.

The dealer told him that the ECM would compensate for this change as long as he didnt do anything to the AC or mufflers. He has purchased a pair of those Xied's but may not install them. He only has a few miles on it since the mod but loves it,

Old 05-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never noticed the heat until yesterday while riding....only at a stop...feels more like from the thigh area more than the cat though...in any event I have a gutted headpipe in my garage if I decide to go this route

Old 05-07-2011, 08:50 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

I have a gutted head pipe waiting in the garage as well. Waiting to see some results from others that have done this with the addition of only the slip on's w/o any thing else.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:42 PM
fishboy
Tourer

Originally Posted by JC Turbo
I just did a buddies 11 103 StreetGlide. I will get a sound clip and post it up. It sounds A LOT better!!
Looking forward to it!!! :-)

-fish-

Quick Reply: Today's project, gutted a 2011 2-1-2 pipe, with pics.