Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Today's project, gutted a 2011 2-1-2 pipe, with pics.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 01:59 PM
sdfireman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Changed my mind and ordered a replacement pipe from American Customs. Figured the lack of headaches and welding skills and the time to drive into town and find an open exhaust shop on a Sat. it will pay for it's self at $169.00

Old 07-22-2011, 02:51 PM
motorcyclelockman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by esu322
Wait iam confused. So an 09 has a cat or no cat? please help
From my understanding, the CAT was inside the muffler on the 09

Old 07-22-2011, 03:18 PM
esu322
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info

Old 07-22-2011, 03:46 PM
WolfDog
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Every time i see the inside of one of these catted pipes i am just amazed that they even start, let alone run.

Im glad mine boxed up in the attic..

Good job, and Ride on.......

Old 07-22-2011, 04:17 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcyclelockman
From my understanding, the CAT was inside the muffler on the 09
cat was in headpipe in cali and international bikes in '09 according to HD but my canadian '09 did not have one.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:36 PM
gabhart
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 49 Posts

Great slide show milf rider! I am looking at doing this as well.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:58 AM
bklyn roadking
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hello everyone.milf great write up.ok here is what i got going on i have a 2011 roadglide ultra i just bought a fuel pack.should i leave the head pipe w/cat and see what happens or not?.also i was thinking of gutting out my stock mufflers will i lose any back prusser?or what ideas does everyone here have what should i do.fund are alittle tight but i like to get a little more sound with what i have.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:17 PM
Cep10SG
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i also did the same thing for mine. i found a 2-1-2 on craigslist for 100 beans for my '10 SG. i guess you can say i had a little OCD and didn't like the single pipe. i took a "sawsall" to it as soon as i got home. after removing the CAT, i took it down the street to a local welder and he tig welded it back together. sounds a lot better now since i got rid of the "weed wacker" sound. a buddy in Tx wanted my old one complete exhaust so i did the same to the old header before sending it to him. really easy to do and you cant even tell i did it.

Cep

Old 07-26-2011, 10:33 AM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by JC Turbo

Tools used:

Vice, cut off wheel, air chisel, die grinder and welder.

Took about an hour to do. This is the second pipe i've gutted but the first time doing it this way. The last one I cut in two halves and drilled the cat out. Due to cutting it in half I lost about 1/8 inch in length from the sawzall so had some trouble mounting the cross over pipe on its bracket due to it being a little shorter.

So on this one the area I cut an access panel so I didn't loose any length. I tacked the four corners and welded the panel back in place. Once mounted the cuts and welds will be totally covered by the heat shields and will look totally stock appearing.
I like this approach better than cutting the pipe in half. I had a stock head pipe in my garage that came off a 2011 Limited I just traded. Been wanting to do something about the heat on my new CVO Road Glide so I decided to have at it last night. Probably took me a little over an hour to make the cut and gut the cat. I'll get it welded later this week and swap it out this weekend. Not a whole lot of effort and very little money for the same results a buying a new head pipe. I used a 90 degree variable speed hand grinder with a 4 1/2" x 1/16" metal cutting disc. The disc was only a couple dollars at Home Depot. Pretty pleased with the results. Thanks for the post, it got me off my ***!

Old 07-26-2011, 10:45 AM
Tele00
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did this yesterday to my 2011 RK ...prior I had added 3.5" Rinehart slipons...a SE airbox and had the download done at the dealer. Eventhough the air cleaner and ECM flash opened up the pipes and the engine was breathing noticably better ...this mod gave VERY noticable gains in performance. The bike is quite a bit louder and has a bit more decell " Rumble " ( not backfire ) ... when you hit the throttle you immediately get response as opposed to that delay you get as the backpressure builds at the cat .. the bike still runs great and I am glad I did it ... Thanks again for the Idea ( and cash savings ) ... Mark

Last edited by Tele00; 07-26-2011 at 10:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Today's project, gutted a 2011 2-1-2 pipe, with pics.