Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Today's project, gutted a 2011 2-1-2 pipe, with pics.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 02:33 PM
o-townFLA
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Catalytic converters use to be with platinum... No joke

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platinum

Old 04-05-2013, 12:37 AM
firemeat
Advanced

Few questions : My SG has 4" Rinehart's, S&S AC, stage 1 download. I'm not trying to make it a race bike, and I live in Texas, complaining about heat is like complaining about heat, doesn't do any good, I know I'm gonna be hot and sweaty. My objective is sound. Solo rider, want to be heard and "felt". So I'm hoping for cheaper sound increases, but am happy with all the other benifits.

I saw in a previous post about the decel pop not being too bad "up to 3.5in mufflers". are 4" going to be real bad?

-Second question is the crossover pipe. Looking at it, I don't like it. Was curious if anybody has swapped it out or cut it out and replaced it with a round tube. I know with my Trucks exhaust, less curves/bends equal better flow. The flat pipe looks restrictive. Fuelmoto shows a round crossover pipe in their header kit.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:23 PM
mac0478
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribed. Fantastic thread guys. I currently have a Vance and Hines Propipe on my 2011 FLHR though i have thought of doing this mod and adding some slipons for the longer highway rides where the raucous sound of the propipe can get a bit much after a few hours.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:04 PM
sftdyna
Cruiser

Originally Posted by firemeat
Few questions : My SG has 4" Rinehart's, S&S AC, stage 1 download. I'm not trying to make it a race bike, and I live in Texas, complaining about heat is like complaining about heat, doesn't do any good, I know I'm gonna be hot and sweaty. My objective is sound. Solo rider, want to be heard and "felt". So I'm hoping for cheaper sound increases, but am happy with all the other benifits.

I saw in a previous post about the decel pop not being too bad "up to 3.5in mufflers". are 4" going to be real bad?

-Second question is the crossover pipe. Looking at it, I don't like it. Was curious if anybody has swapped it out or cut it out and replaced it with a round tube. I know with my Trucks exhaust, less curves/bends equal better flow. The flat pipe looks restrictive. Fuelmoto shows a round crossover pipe in their header kit.
Yea i dont like the flat crossover either but for a stock bike with a stage 1 i don't think it hurts anything. If your running a cat get rid of it and you will feel and hear a difference.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:00 PM
RCinLaveen
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Still considering my options - but I have an '09 pipe for my '11 Ultra Classic. I can go with a tuner that uses the '09 O2 sensor locations - or, I can weld in the mounts for the '11 O2 sensor locations in the pipe. I want to keep the stock pipe should I need it in the future, so I don't want to remove the sensor material from that pipe to weld in the '09 pipe. Where can I get the fittings to weld in the '09 pipe if I choose to stay with the Harley computer?

Old 05-17-2013, 09:28 AM
POP TOP
Advanced

I switched out my stock pipe for a gutted one, it sounds great but my gas mileage has gone to hell. From everything I read didn't think this would happen. Any suggestions?

2011 stock motor cfr slip ons.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:43 AM
pureoper
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

I started with a gutted pipe from American Custom,the rest was completely stock no retune,the bike ran great.The only thing i noticed is my engine didnt go into parade mode at stop signs anymore so i know it was running cooler.Since then i have installed a hi flow air cleaner,4in rhineharts and a pcv with a tune from Fuelmoto.Bike runs very good.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:03 AM
Python357
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,694 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by POP TOP
I switched out my stock pipe for a gutted one, it sounds great but my gas mileage has gone to hell. From everything I read didn't think this would happen. Any suggestions?

Mine is bone stock except for going catless. Mileage before and after is 42-44 MPG. Could the oxygen sensors be switched? If one cylinder is reading lean and the computer is increasing fuel to the other cylinder. (I will be the first to admit I am not an expert).

Old 05-17-2013, 10:34 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by POP TOP

You have something else going on, it's definitely not the head pipe causing this. More than likely O2 sensors not installed or hooked up properly or possibly an exhaust leak.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:00 PM
POP TOP
Advanced

Thanks guys! Going to take it off and check my gaskets and O2 sensors, I have a feeling I might have reversed them.

Quick Reply: Today's project, gutted a 2011 2-1-2 pipe, with pics.