Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Today's project, gutted a 2011 2-1-2 pipe, with pics.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 10:04 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mimo951
Today i removed the CAT.
Really big different feeling. Better performance deeper sound less heat.
This is the best thing i did to my bike
Did u take the pipe off the bike to gut and weld? Been thinking of doing this to drop some temps on the right leg.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Glide'nTony
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone made a video of this process? I've searched YouTube and can't find anything.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:01 AM
sftdyna
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fishboy
I am pretty positive you will need a 're-tune' after this mod. I am curious as to what this sounds like with the stock pipes. I have been searching for a decent sound clip that has this mod done with the factory pipes.

-fish-
did my 2012 SG, cut the factory welds gutted the cat an then opened up the stock mufflers with a hole saw ( same mod american custom does for $300 ) it runs great! ive added the SE air intake and a set of fl xeids. i just finished doing the exhaust and air intake on my buds 2012 police road king we didn't gut the cat and didnt add the fl xeids but his also runs nice so we tried a couple 6th gear pulls and my bike seems to pull away from him every time by a lot! its odd because most feedback on this cat mod claim minimal power increase and just a much cooler bike, now my bike does run way cooler im just wondering why it pulls away from my buds road king. the other day we switched bikes and his bike feels the same as mine so im not noticing any difference in my butt dyno but we went at it again and got the same results my glide walked him.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:05 AM
FLHX_Tim
Intermediate

Did mine about a year and a half ago. Works/Sounds really good and helped a lot with heat issue. Finally pulled it to run the V&H Power Duals and to be honest can't tell much of a difference other than lighter in the wallet. Now its just collecting dust in the garage.

Attached Thumbnails Today's project, gutted a 2011 2-1-2 pipe, with pics.-exhaust.jpg   Today's project, gutted a 2011 2-1-2 pipe, with pics.-exhaust-ii.jpg  
Old 08-12-2012, 07:35 AM
ACLazer
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Did my 2012 just like JC did on the First Page. I'm still running my Stock Decattted Header, with V&H Slip On's, Stage II, with SE 255 Cams, SE AC and Power Commander. I'm happy with the way it's running now.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:42 AM
NevadaNick
Cruiser

Sftdyna, the xieds add fuel, hence should be making more power with yer mods.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Mimo951
Cruiser

Originally Posted by pontiac69
Did u take the pipe off the bike to gut and weld? Been thinking of doing this to drop some temps on the right leg.
Yes i did. It took me 30min to do that. But removing the CAT it self will take some time.
Believe me it worth it....

Old 08-13-2012, 02:59 PM
sftdyna
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NevadaNick
Sftdyna, the xieds add fuel, hence should be making more power with yer mods.
i couldn't agree with you more nick ive been a big fan of xeids for many years and taken alot of crap way back when people got booted off forums for telling people you didn't have to tune your harley for air and exhaust upgrades! finally so many people out there have seen the light i guess they couldn't boot everybody LOL!! the thing is its general consensus that these upgrades are minimal at best as far as performance goes. My street glide literally walks away from my buds road king in top gear and im 40lbs heavier and my bike is 20lbs heavier so thats got to be telling us something.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:35 PM
hhsooner
Stage I

I have a 10 SG, getting some stock dual pipes off of a 13 RG, anyone have a gutted head pipe? I dont have the required tools Currently have 2-1 with SE nightstick, not loud at all and the heat is crazy!! Plus I want duals. Will I need to buy any gaskets when I swap these out?

Last edited by hhsooner; 10-23-2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Added more
Old 10-23-2012, 12:51 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by hhsooner
I have a 10 SG, getting some stock dual pipes off of a 13 RG, anyone have a gutted head pipe? I dont have the required tools Currently have 2-1 with SE nightstick, not loud at all and the heat is crazy!! Plus I want duals. Will I need to buy any gaskets when I swap these out?
You will need need exhaust gaskets, torque wrench, sockets, etc. You can cut the pipe with a $10 hack saw and remove the material with a hammer and chisel. Cost me $30 to have mine welded. Your bike is currently a 2 into 1? The RG exhaust you are getting has a cross under pipe, make sure you get that bracket and bolt that attach to the frame in front of the rear tire.

Last edited by KCFLHRC; 10-23-2012 at 12:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Today's project, gutted a 2011 2-1-2 pipe, with pics.