Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Today's project, gutted a 2011 2-1-2 pipe, with pics.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Tele00
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it simply depends on how free flowing the slipons are ..It's a PERFECT way to get rid of heat for anyone who retains the stock mufflers and they will have absolutely NO decel popping , and anything all the way up to my 3.5" rineharts ( which experience very little decel pop) I can make it happen but it doesn't happen during normal riding . Sure with thunderheaders I am sure that you have quite a bit ..but for some folks I think it will work just fine .

Last edited by Tele00; 06-08-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:17 PM
dlpuette
Cruiser
Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey JC_Turbo
For some reason can't send you a PM. Any chance you'd be willing to take my cat out for me? I live in Cleveland but would be very willing to drive over to Pittsburg. I just don't have the right tools to get it done at home and would like to have someone experienced in the cat gutting art do it for me. I'm buying a take off head pipe from a local dealer and will bring it ready to gut! I'll make it worth your while!

Let me know!!! I really want to get this done!

Old 06-20-2012, 05:59 PM
ACLazer
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by dlpuette
Hey JC_Turbo
For some reason can't send you a PM. Any chance you'd be willing to take my cat out for me? I live in Cleveland but would be very willing to drive over to Pittsburg. I just don't have the right tools to get it done at home and would like to have someone experienced in the cat gutting art do it for me. I'm buying a take off head pipe from a local dealer and will bring it ready to gut! I'll make it worth your while!

Let me know!!! I really want to get this done!
If JC don't want to do it, my guy that did mine in Warren will

Dom

Old 06-21-2012, 07:29 AM
dlpuette
Cruiser
Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ACLazer
If JC don't want to do it, my guy that did mine in Warren will

Dom
Hey Dom! That'd be great!!! Any idea what he'd charge me? PM me if you can. Otherwise shoot me an e mail. Same screen name as my HD Forums at Yahoo.

And Thanks!!!!!

Old 06-21-2012, 08:32 AM
ACLazer
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Sent you an Email

Old 06-21-2012, 11:31 AM
JC Turbo
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry I just got your reply to this thread. You cannot send pm's because you are new to the site. Anyway I have a pipe already done and ready to go. Let me know if you're interested.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:34 PM
webbdog8
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does any one know if the pipes are mild steel or stainless

Old 06-21-2012, 04:56 PM
mprracecars
Novice

The stock head pipe is mild steel. I have gutted the cat on several pipes in the very same method as JC Turbo posted at the beginning of this thread.

I weld the pipes I've done with stainless TIG rod and have had them thermal barrier coated both inside and out. I have NO popping or backfiring and the bike runs perfect! it is a completely stock 2012 Limited and now has 5100 miles on it and runs great. It is much cooler than my 2010 Limited which had the cat left in it.

I'm not sure how much difference the thermal Barrier coating makes over just removing the cat but it runs much cooler and better than my 2010 Limited. If I would have know how much of an improvement it was going to make, I would have gutted the cat on my 2010.

It has been very hot the last few days (in the 90's) and the catless bike has been a pleasure to ride. I am going to be taking a rather long trip in July and wouldn't ride this bike if I thought that gutting the cat had any adverse effects. It's a must do for anyone wanting to reduce the heat the driver feels without spending much money. Mine runs perfect without any additional changes made to the fuel map or ECU.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Mimo951
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Holster Maker
Pic before install. After install the heat shields covered just like stock.
Did you install the heat shield after wrapping the exhaust

Old 08-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Mimo951
Cruiser

Today i removed the CAT.
Really big different feeling. Better performance deeper sound less heat.
This is the best thing i did to my bike

Quick Reply: Today's project, gutted a 2011 2-1-2 pipe, with pics.