Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Today's project, gutted a 2011 2-1-2 pipe, with pics.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 10:10 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

You definitely don't want to gut the CAT and drill out the baffles. They will more than likely sound like $hit and you will lose a considerable amount of torque with no back pressure.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:24 AM
Feeeeg
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this Mod about two weeks ago. The heat is gone, and the sound got a good deal deeper. I also wrapped the pipes with header wrap.

Got a takeoff headpipe from the dealer for $75, so I have an extra, once the bike is out of warranty, Ill gut this one and sell it.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:28 AM
dnitram
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wrap??

Originally Posted by Holster Maker
Pic before install. After install the heat shields covered just like stock.
I probably should have wrapped mine, but didn't... Who's wrap did you use and how much of it did you need to buy> Thanks!

Old 08-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Feeeeg
Tourer

I used some wrap leftover from a camaro build, I dont recall who it was made by, as the packaging has been missing for a number of years...

I called a buddy of mine, who works at Advance, you can pick up a roll for about $40

Old 08-22-2011, 12:35 PM
dnitram
Road Master

Originally Posted by Feeeeg
I used some wrap leftover from a camaro build, I dont recall who it was made by, as the packaging has been missing for a number of years...

I called a buddy of mine, who works at Advance, you can pick up a roll for about $40
Thanks!!!

Old 08-22-2011, 05:02 PM
mllgator
Tourer

I've seen photos of this procedure on several occasions and wondered why people don't just use a long wood boring bit to "dig" the material out?
It seems that once you worked your way up to a 1 - 11/2" bit, the exhaust would simply blow past the remaing material.
It is obvious that you couldn't get all of the material out, but with the additional diameter of the cat "section", would that be necessary?
Just asking.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:36 PM
prplehd
Stage I

I just pulled the cat out of my 2011 limited 103. I found that the cat is made of platnim, or at least dipped. What this means is if you don't clean the inside of the pipe really good the weilding will tend to leave pitts, or holes in the bead. I tried to stick weild with low heat but had problems with very small pin holes. Next time will tig the weild. I cheated with JB weild to stop the leaks. The bike fired up no problem and performed great. I will take it to the dyno in about 2 weeks to find the gains. I have S/E race tuner and A/C plus Kurker slip on's. The sound is just right. Mr. turbo thank you for the info.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:06 AM
vonzoog
Tourer

Originally Posted by mllgator
I've seen photos of this procedure on several occasions and wondered why people don't just use a long wood boring bit to "dig" the material out?
It seems that once you worked your way up to a 1 - 11/2" bit, the exhaust would simply blow past the remaing material.
It is obvious that you couldn't get all of the material out, but with the additional diameter of the cat "section", would that be necessary?
Just asking.
I only wish it was that easy. Cutting, grinding, buffing, and wielding was the easiest and quickest part of the whole project. "Gutting" the material out was the hardest and most time consuming. Two of us ended up using a large metal chisel and hammer to knock and dig the $h"t out. Trust me, it will not just "pop" out. If you don't remove all of the material, you would kind of be defeating the whole point of doing this.

If anyone figures out an easy way to do it, please let everyone else how before they tackle the project.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:08 AM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

Me and a buddy have done 2 of these now and it makes a huge difference in the heat and the way the bike runs. We used an air chisel to get the cat removed from the head pipe and cut and welded it just like the pics show. He did pick up some high temp black spray paint and painted the welded section before reinstalling on the bike. This might help to prevent rusting.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:32 AM
441amx
Intermediate
Default Hole Saw Size

I used a 1 1/2 inch hole saw I will see about getting a video. Personally I don't think any of them sound good on video but I will try to get one. This post is for what i did to a set of 2011 mufflers not the CAT.

Last edited by 441amx; 10-01-2011 at 07:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Today's project, gutted a 2011 2-1-2 pipe, with pics.