Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Today's project, gutted a 2011 2-1-2 pipe, with pics.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:32 AM
myillearth
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do I need anything other parts besides two new donuts?

Old 07-29-2011, 09:42 AM
MenaceUC
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you who are also installing a PCV, you may want to take my approach. I bought an '09 headpipe off ebay ($100), and a PCV from Fuel Moto ($399). Lost significant heat, gained awesome sound, and can easily go stage 1 with an intake and new download from FM.

The PCV doesn't use the O2 sensors, so it's no problem that the bungs/sensors don't match.

I still have my original headpipe, for possible warranty issues.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Holster Maker
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

[quote=sdfireman;8630635]I bought a gutted head pipe from AMerican Customs. It came yesterday and I installed it last night. Not too bad of project. But now the bike runs like crap.

The header cat-less will not effect the driveability. Something else happen, like reversing the sensors or something got knocked loose or off.
Double check everything...like black wire and gray wire in proper position, etc.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:41 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by myillearth
Do I need anything other parts besides two new donuts?
You should not need new head pipe seals. Their design and shape make them very durable. They sit inside the exhaust port and are tapered inside to match the head pipe taper. I suspect you'd have to dig them out if you were to change them. The only other seal is in the interconnect pipe that comes off the head pipe and runs under the bike to the L/H side of the bike. The seal should stay in the interconnect pipe when you remove it. I recommend once you loosen the clamp work the interconnect pipe in a circular motion to help open up the slip joint before you slide it off. This will make it easier to reinstall. Just be careful so you don't catch the seal when going back together. When you get it apart you'll see what I'm talking about. Done this twice in the last six months and never needed any seals.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:29 PM
sdfireman
Advanced

Well, operator error raised it's head. Had the O2 sensors switched around. Changed them and everythings great.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Tele00
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sdfireman
Well, operator error raised it's head. Had the O2 sensors switched around. Changed them and everythings great.
I can see where that would easily happen ...before removing mine I marked one with a black sharpie so I'd know one from the other ... Glad to hear that was all it was ...

Old 07-29-2011, 04:10 PM
bklyn roadking
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok this is what im doing because funds are tight i bought a V&H fuel pak and im going to cut the cat out do u think i will be ok with the fuel pack and the cat out? im not doing cams but i was told i can with the fuel pack.also with the removel of the cat so of you are saying it sounds a little louder if i put rush slip ons with 1.75 baffle would that be to loud or would it sound alot nicer

Old 07-29-2011, 04:16 PM
keneds
Advanced

Originally Posted by keneds
I will try here, Has anyone removed the cat ....and the stock baffles?
BUMP....anxious for some input, Planning to do this over the weekend. Thanks

Old 07-29-2011, 04:25 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bklyn roadking
ok this is what im doing because funds are tight i bought a V&H fuel pak and im going to cut the cat out do u think i will be ok with the fuel pack and the cat out? im not doing cams but i was told i can with the fuel pack.also with the removel of the cat so of you are saying it sounds a little louder if i put rush slip ons with 1.75 baffle would that be to loud or would it sound alot nicer
If you're on a budget cut the cat out and see how you like the sound before you spend money on mufflers. It will definitely give the bike a deeper sound. Just did mine and I like it and don't plan on changing out the stock mufflers. Of course loud exhaust systems aren't as appealing to me as they were in my younger days.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:57 PM
bklyn roadking
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

la vic thanks thats what i will try first.
keneds i heard a bike at a dealer without cats and baffles from stock slip ons.spoke with the dealer and they said by cutting out the baffles out of the stock slip ons you will lose back pressure.this other guy who did it seem to be happy i dont know other than that.but again no one will ever tell u that they screwed up and wish they never did something.

Quick Reply: Today's project, gutted a 2011 2-1-2 pipe, with pics.