Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long should OEM rear brakes last?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 12:32 PM
jrobinson424
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How long should OEM rear brakes last?

I have a 2011 FLHR with 7800 miles on it. The rear brakes are squeling a little. I looked at the pads. They seem thin but my buddy just bought the same bike 2 months ago & mine look just like his. There is about 1/8" pad left on them. Never noticed how thick they were when I took it off the showroom but like I said, they look just like my buddys. Any suggestions?

Old 05-06-2011, 12:42 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go to the stealer and check out the thickness of a set of new pads you should be able to tell from that.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,028 Likes on 4,215 Posts

They are an easy fix. Do not push them back when you pull the pads. Then shoe shine the pistons with a cloth strip and push them back in and install the pads. If you nurse them for ever bit of pad I believe you have more of a chance for a sticking piston. I have use 4 set at 40K. Think soft and abrasive. Stops good and does not chatter. To answer your question I think they start at 1/4 and 1/32 is minimum. Yours are probably a little more then 1/2 worn out. VA state inspector would give you dirty looks a 1/16 since he knows you will not be back for a year.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-06-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:52 PM
THABULL
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Changed mine at 20k , still had plenty of pad left! The only reason I changed them is because I came down a very steep and curvy pig path that was better suited for a dual sport and got the brakes and fluid really hot! Replaced them with Lyndall Gold and flushed out all the old fluid!

Old 05-06-2011, 02:32 PM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Just replaced tires on my UC with 18K miles. Rear brakes were not wore close to 50%. Look at a new set of pads and use a Dial Caliper to measure the new ones, then measure yours and do the math. The new pads a pretty thin. Try removing your pads a applying some "Disc Brake Quiet" (auto parts store) to the metal backing plate of the pads. that should take care of the noise.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:59 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Hose them down with brake cleaner before trying the more exotic fixes. Sometimes they are just contaminated with crud.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:14 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Have 56k miles on mine rear rotor gone bad a while back but HD changed everything under ESP $50 charge otherwise haven't changed em yet.It is very individual thing when comes to the brakes of any vehicle.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,838 Likes on 3,179 Posts

Originally Posted by THABULL
Changed mine at 20k , still had plenty of pad left! The only reason I changed them is because I came down a very steep and curvy pig path that was better suited for a dual sport and got the brakes and fluid really hot! Replaced them with Lyndall Gold and flushed out all the old fluid!
You CAN'T get fluid that hot on a rear brake system, (I hope!) And what happened to the pads to cause you to change them after one run down a 'pig' path? Weren't they working anymore?

Old 05-07-2011, 07:22 AM
Smyln
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Punjabi HD
Have 56k miles on mine rear rotor gone bad a while back but HD changed everything under ESP $50 charge otherwise haven't changed em yet.It is very individual thing when comes to the brakes of any vehicle.
I agree, I tend to allow motor to slow bike down. I also operate my bike like I would a lathe. Slow and calculated. I usually get way more mileage out of tires and brakes because of how I ride.

I have 32k miles on my bike and haven't replaced the brakes.

Very much an individual thing.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

It depends on your braking technique. I taught the MSF course for years. Most riders do not realize that 80 percent of their braking power comes from the front brakes. New riders tend to use their rear brake a lot more. It is intended to assist the front brakes in stopping the bike. I only really use the rear brake for trail braking when riding hard (and that ain't often)...

Quick Reply: How long should OEM rear brakes last?