Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB Question Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011 | 05:22 AM
Baggrmark
|
Cruiser
Default CB Question Help!

It's been awhile! I am getting prepaired for a very long road trip in June,Central Florida to Alaska then to Michigan for a wedding then back home. I have never used the CB so I decided to try it out. When I turn it on it says on the display "Region Not Calibrated See Dealer"!! What the heck does that mean? I did some research here also because I don't have the headsets and was going to look into the handheld mic for the trip. Any suggestions on what's wrong with the CB or how well the handheld mic will work. 2006 Ultra I've read where there were some problems with the '06 radios, is this true.
Thanks for any help,
Mark

Old 05-06-2011 | 06:48 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

I would get a headset from IMC ...Sierra Electronics has them....J&M are better quality if you can ...that code from the CB is weird....

Old 05-06-2011 | 06:52 AM
Silverearl
Road Captain

I have an 06 and I have never seen that response anywhere in all my reading. But then I may have overlooked it. When you get the information let us know.

Old 05-06-2011 | 07:21 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member

I did a google search on this for you and it appears that your CB is set up for another country, or possibly Alaska or Hawaii. You will have to take it to the dealer to get it set up for the US. That's what I found on the internet anyway. Google is your friend.

Old 05-06-2011 | 07:55 AM
Baggrmark
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
I would get a headset from IMC ...Sierra Electronics has them....J&M are better quality if you can ...that code from the CB is weird....
I don't really want to use a headset since I will be solo on the bike,wife won't ride this far. I have never used the cb but I have had it on before (couple of years ago) just listening to other riders in a group.
I also was wondering if anyone has ever cut down the oem anteneas, so they don't slap the garage door. I have shorty ones but thought I would put the longer oem's back on.

Old 05-06-2011 | 08:11 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member

If you cut down the stock antennas that will really screw up the CB reception. They are that length for a reason.

Old 05-06-2011 | 08:50 PM
Nute
Road Master

I have both a headset and the mic. The mic is nice as you can use the speakers but sometimes you need 3 hands which isn't always convenient. I ride with a couple of buddies that have CB's and when we get to talking the headset is real handy in any kind of traffic. When I ride alone I always use the handset as the headset kind of gets uncomfortable after a while especially if it's hot outside. You can obtain a lot of information from the truckers along the way. Sometimes you hear them talking about the "Bike" behind, in front or the idiot on the "Bike" riding in the rain. You can catch them off guard when you call them up as not all truckers realize you have a CB onboard.

Don't trim the arial unless you have a meter as you will screw up the impedence and your range will be greatly reduced. I believe the arials are preset at either the factory. The shorter ones you buy are "pre-tuned".

Old 07-23-2011 | 11:09 AM
larm
Stage I

my 06 came with the long whip antenna and I tried a short replacement from my HD dealer. I took SWR readings with both the old whip and the new shorty. The original whip reading was 1.3 the new shorty was 3.0. A reading of 1 to 1.5 is execellent, therefore I stayed with the original antenna. I have a problem when I transmit, the person recieving me gets a lot of static and hight pitch sounds. I have tried adjusting the squelch, tried transmitting with the engine off, tried switching antenna's but havent yet found the problem. I don't know if a download update will help or not. Any suggestions?
lee

Old 07-23-2011 | 11:31 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member

I would agree that your CB needs to see the dealer.

I have the shorty antennae on mine and reception (CB and AM/FM) is fine. Hardly ever listen to radio, other than satellite anyway.

If you are doing a solo trip what is the value of the CB? I really only use mine to communicate with others I am traveling with on longer runs. Beyond that I don't see them being anything other than noisemakers. Unless you're looking for hookers around truck stops.

Old 07-23-2011 | 01:35 PM
vtwinbob
Road Captain

Originally Posted by larm
my 06 came with the long whip antenna and I tried a short replacement from my HD dealer. I took SWR readings with both the old whip and the new shorty. The original whip reading was 1.3 the new shorty was 3.0. A reading of 1 to 1.5 is execellent, therefore I stayed with the original antenna. I have a problem when I transmit, the person recieving me gets a lot of static and hight pitch sounds. I have tried adjusting the squelch, tried transmitting with the engine off, tried switching antenna's but havent yet found the problem. I don't know if a download update will help or not. Any suggestions?
lee

your SWR looks great, but you have no ground plane with the bike, beings it plastic or fiberglass and has very little metal to do the job go Google 'No ground plane' (NGP) CB antenna kit. and read up on it, then you'll see what mean

Quick Reply: CB Question Help!