Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deep cycle / dry cell batteries

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 01:06 AM
Drail
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deep cycle / dry cell batteries

Been looking at batteries for the Glide. Ran across a deep cycle / dry cell battery made by SVR for Harley touring bikes. They say it has 600 CCA's. way more than stock. Any thoughts or experiance with deep cycle / dry cell batteries. Oh by the way $120

Old 05-06-2011, 08:08 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Got a link to it?

Old 05-06-2011, 08:29 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

I've had best results with the H-D AGM ( which are made by Deka---call your local shops and save on the Deka branded version).

I had ****=poor results with the odessey dry cell on my FXR, 1st one failed after about 8 months- stranded side of road.
replaced under warranty and that one failed after a few months too.
when a dry cell goes ( at least the odessey) it goes all the way dead with NO warning.

---and the battery shop guys said the dry cell doesn't like a trickle charger, but I have little confidence that they knew what they were talking about- i got about 20 excuses why the batteries failed, and they got my $160

Mike

Old 05-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Drail
Advanced
Old 05-06-2011, 11:14 AM
NoBoldRider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would be a bit wary. Deep cycle batteries are not only designed to be drained, but are also designed for a low amperage draw or a long period like a trolling motor or for lights in a traileror boat.They are not for the high amperage draw of starting a bike, no matter what they say the CCA is. I used to use a mixture of starting batteries and deep cycle batteries on my old cabin cruiser. I ran the deep cycle batteries when at anchor and switched to starting batteries for starting the engine and then switched to all for recharging them all. Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by NoBoldRider
I would be a bit wary. Deep cycle batteries are not only designed to be drained, but are also designed for a low amperage draw or a long period like a trolling motor or for lights in a traileror boat.They are not for the high amperage draw of starting a bike, no matter what they say the CCA is. I used to use a mixture of starting batteries and deep cycle batteries on my old cabin cruiser. I ran the deep cycle batteries when at anchor and switched to starting batteries for starting the engine and then switched to all for recharging them all. Just my 2 cents.
Yep, deep cycle battteries are like trailers, they are for boats, not for motorcycles.

I know that the batteries Harley sells are expensive. I also get seven or eight years out of them. I have a bud who replaced the original battery in his 2000 Dyna last September. That's over 10 years! I don't like failures so the batteries Harley uses are the only ones I consider. I know Deka makes Harley's batteries. I know Deka sells batteries for Harleys cheaper than Harley sells them for. I don't know if they are manufactured to the same specs that Harley requires. I buy the batteries Harley sells for the peace of mind that their longevity provides, but I ride a lot and often to pretty remote places. A cheap battery failing is not an option. I've learned over the years that when you try to get something for nothing, you will usually get your money's worth.

Last edited by Northside; 05-06-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Drail
Advanced

I had never seen anyone advertise a deep cycle battery for a scoot. Money is not the issue here but was looking at the CCA's more than anything.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:21 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dry cell? I thought absorbed glass mat (AGM battery) is specified, or is it one in the same.

I would stick to Deka (without the HD logo).

Old 05-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I just replaced my stock 03 battery with another stock harley battery, 36,000 miles, not bad if you ask me, if the new one goes that long I will be happy even for $150.00.
The only reason I replaced it is the regulator, and stator were failing when hot, so I thought it would be a good idea.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:27 AM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll stick with HD's batteries, been using Them for Year's and They always got Me Home.

Quick Reply: Deep cycle / dry cell batteries