Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade in my Deluxe for a Street Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:57 PM
HarleyCamper
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade in my Deluxe for a Street Glide?

I love my Deluxe, but don't we always want what we can't have? I still dream about Street Glides all day long. I've added a batwing to my softail and hard bags. I went to blackwall tires too. I'm a wannabe, okay? I can admit it. I've had the seat re-worked so it's extremely comfy. Furthermore, the fit is perfect (seat height, bars, highway pegs, etc). Am I looney, or compared to the Deluxe, would the SG be day and night for touring? I wonder whether I should just wait until I can have one of each.

Last edited by HarleyCamper; 05-05-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:02 PM
2>4
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your Deluxe is sweet. Have you taken a Street Glide out for a test drive?

Old 05-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I found an issue, I could not get the bars in the right position for me to be comfortable. I am a smaller guy 5'9'' and with the fairing theres only so many bar choices. I would ride one

Old 05-05-2011, 09:44 PM
nlando
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Deluxe, and just got a new Streetglide. I can tell you that the Deluxe does not compare to the Streetglide for touring. That said, I also love my Deluxe, and have no plans to sell it, as it is a great bike for around town. This way, I get the best of both worlds.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

Well I have a Fat Boy with a hot 95 inch motor and a S.E. six speed. I have a Quick disconnect winshield, quick disconnect bags, and sissybar. I can easily pack a lot of stuff on it. It is fun to ride around town and fine on the road. I bought a Streetglide new in '07 and did a 103 kit. I kept the Fat Boy. While I love both bikes for different reasons, if I could only keep one it would be the Streetglide. It's so smooth on the Highway, and still very manageable in town. It also handles the twisties in the canyons better than the Fat Boy. That Fat Boy is an eyecatcher and will eat the glide in a drag race, but the glide is just a better all around bike for the way I ride. You might be different.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Kingspoke
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You have a very nice Deluxe, but I think the Street Glide would be what you need to jump to, as you're already trying to make your Deluxe fit the bill of what you are wanting to. You will have a better intergrated appearance of fairing, bags, crash bars, and overall styling with the functionality you want.

More storage, crash bars w/option of lowers, radio & guages in the fairing, and the ability to long haul or just look good cruising.

Of course you always have to consider budget and what is practical for your situation, but sooner or later you will make the change, if that's truly what you want. Take a few test rides!

Old 05-05-2011, 10:26 PM
porkchopsd
Tourer

Deluxe is a very cool ride but it's no touring bike and with the redesigned frame and rubber mounted motor on the touring models I think you should make the jump. I rented a Deluxe and rode from Denver to Sturgis in 07 had another reserved for 09 trip but guy hit a deer two weeks before Sturgis so they put me on a StreetGlide and I wanted to buy it two minutes into the ride, nothing beats the touring bikes for the long haul. Good luck!

Old 05-06-2011, 11:32 AM
HarleyCamper
Road Master

Some good points here. Number one, I have not test ridden one yet. I know I need to do that. I figured that some of the guys that have or have had both could enlighten me. Number 2, I do like the fact that everything is detachable on my Deluxe. That said, my first love is to tour. So as one of you predicted and I'll have to agree, it's probably just a matter of time. First choice would be to keep both. Hope I'll be in the position to do that.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:45 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

I ride a 2010 StreetGlide and the GF has a Deluxe. I get to ride both. No comparison between the two. StreetGlide is quiet, Deluxe is loud. StreetGlide has little to no vibration, Deluxe "shakes". Completely different feel in the trannys and shifting. Just completely diiferent bikes. The Deluxe feels "sportier" while the StreetGlide is a comfy couch. If I had to choose, hands down on the StreetGlide over any Softail.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Burch
Advanced

Not the throw a wrench in your plans or ideas, but have you thought about an Ultra Classic? The only reason I bring it up is because you said....

Originally Posted by aysrav
That said, my first love is to tour.
If you got the UC, you'd already have all the touring gear you needed. Then just make it all quick detach. Instead of getting the SG then going through the motions of getting all of your touring parts. Just my

Nice Deluxe by the way. I like those bikes.

Quick Reply: Trade in my Deluxe for a Street Glide?