Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bikes pulling trailers

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006 | 03:41 AM
HangFire
Cruiser
Default RE: Bikes pulling trailers

I just noticed that the owners manual to my new Road King advises to NEVER tow a trailer. Why would Harley be so afraid of that?

Old 10-27-2006 | 08:54 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: HangFire...I just noticed that the owners manual to my new Road King advises to NEVER tow a trailer. Why would Harley be so afraid of that?..
Liability. Plain and Simple. The MoCo doesn't need another reason to be sued. They also say not to exceed certain weights in the saddlebags, tourpak, or luggage rack. I've loaded my 93 ElectraGlide Sport down like it was a pack mule. Only problem is with having the weight up a bit higher on the bike necessitating extra caution during slow speed maneuvers.

I've also read on this forum that there is an 'issue' with the computer on the 07 models that makes hooking up the lighting a bit risky. Not certain of this, but if I owned an 07, I think I'd wait a bit to see for certain and if the aftermarket has a 'fix' for it.

Old 10-27-2006 | 09:22 AM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Marine Corp

Here is a link for a MC camp trailer.

http://leesurelite.com/

The video makes it look simple. I have never seen one in person, but would like to.

Has anyone seen this trailer in person?

Old 10-27-2006 | 09:26 AM
huskerrider
Novice

I think the main question here was on camping trailers for the m/c......We have pulled a Bunk House camper for 10 years now with NO problems! The Bunk House is easy to pull, easier yet to load and sets up in less than 5 minutes, (once you have determined your site, sometimes it takes the wife a bit longer to do this) If you have any specific questions, contact me directly. We totally love the camping experience!

Old 10-30-2006 | 01:19 AM
nighthawk
4th Gear

Check out Fibroconcept.com, that is the trailer I pull, 2yrs ago I pulled it to the East coast from Southern Ontario, and this year I rode out to the West Coast, pulled it all through the Rockies and didn't even know it was there, the only time you feel it is when manouvering slowly, like pulling in a parking lot etc. Rode with two other buddies and my daughter on the back of mine, sure makes life easier when you can carry items on a long haul, makes camping a joy.

Old 10-30-2006 | 01:54 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

We currently own a Bushtec, bought new in '99, that we've pulled behind us over 40k miles so far. While a lot of folks like the home-builts (it certainly fits the budget better)<G>, we opted for the Bushtec for a number of reasons, chief among them the quality of the build and the way John Preston stands behind his product. We're debatin' now whether ta keep an' repaint our current trailer, or buy a new one. Either way, it WILL be a Bushtec. I'm taking nothin' away from Tom an' his Tailwind trailers. I know him (he lives a short distance away) and at least one of his vendors is a customer of mine, an' they'll be the first to tell ya that Tom's a fanatic on Quality Control. It's just that I prefer the looks an' suspension/hitch setup of the Bushtec. They'll also have whatever specialty harnesses ya might need to connect to just about any bikes' electrical system.

He pioneered the first frame-mounted hitch for the GL-1800, an' designed the original hitch system for the BMW LT. I've seen him jump up an' STAND on the lids of his trailers without hurtin' 'em. The most impressive demonstration of their suspension system is when they lift the wheels 'bout 2-3 feet off the ground and DROP the trailer. The trailer does NOT bounce - the suspension absorbs the drop an' jest settles back down! They also incorporate a heim joint on the trailer that allows the trailer to twist without puttin' ANY load to the bike itself.

http://www.bushtec.com/

FYI - We've know John Preston for about 10-12 years now. Have no financial interest in his operation, but I've always found him to be a "stand-up" type.

Old 11-01-2006 | 12:22 PM
gambler
Road Captain

I have a question for all you guys pulling trailers....How do you attach the tow ball at the bottom of your rear fender? Is it actually attached to the fender, or to a bracket? Or what? Does it stress the fender?
Thanks

Old 11-01-2006 | 01:13 PM
GaryWayne
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Grover

Here is a link for a MC camp trailer.

http://leesurelite.com/

The video makes it look simple. I have never seen one in person, but would like to.

Has anyone seen this trailer in person?

Its a real nice camper. I've looked at it a few times. From getting off the bike to standing in the dry talkes less than 2 min (the demo guy can do it in under 60 seconds). Some of the other campers out there are also very nice. Some take longer to set up but have more room in them.

Gary

Old 11-01-2006 | 01:18 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: gambler

I have a question for all you guys pulling trailers....How do you attach the tow ball at the bottom of your rear fender? Is it actually attached to the fender, or to a bracket? Or what? Does it stress the fender?
Thanks
It does not attach to the fender. It attaches to the "frame" bars that hold the muffler brackets, saddlebag rail, etc.

Old 11-01-2006 | 05:58 PM
travlr
2nd Gear

A buddy tows one of these. Swears by it. (nice video if you have dsl)

www.unigotrailers.com

Quick Reply: Bikes pulling trailers