Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bikes pulling trailers

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006 | 06:32 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: Bikes pulling trailers

ORIGINAL: SteelCityScooter

It all depends on they type of trailer you want and what you are going to do with it. It also depends on what you want to spend.

I noticed from your links you were looking at popup campers. They are nice but are also kinda big.

You can build your own trailer for roughly under $500.00.(got a bro that did it and its a great little trailer.)

You start with This
mount a deck to it
then add one of these
add some paint
and Waaaaaaaa-la One Bike Trailer.

A member here has one similar to my brosLink to his photo album

Or you could go here and they sell everything from cargo to popup bike trailers.
that's the set up i have and it works great. the trailer is from harbor freight. $130 the car top pod i got from a thrift store. sears model like new. $5. the hitch i made myself with some 1/4 inch steel plate that was laying around. free. ball about $5. wire harness i made myself. about$10. some other misc. stuff add about $20. that adds up to about $170 for the whole thing.

Old 10-25-2006 | 06:45 PM
swomack
Road Master

A local guy builds them custom. Jack Daniels barrels, coffins, you name it. Looks like they would get a little heavy with the barrels but he's sellin' 'em.

Old 10-25-2006 | 07:34 PM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Darryl88

Thats what me and my buddy did, bought a frame shorten it. Put a cartop carrier on it, Installed wiring harness on bike and hitch. Tolal cost about 800.00, far cry from 3500 to 4000 custom made. The one we build, people acually asked us wear we bought it, it looks that good
You got to be careful with the length of the frame, as the distance from the axle to the hitch should be 3x the width of the axle for road stability. That keeps the trailer from wanting to "wander" at highway speeds.

Old 10-25-2006 | 07:44 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: SteelCityScooter

It all depends on they type of trailer you want and what you are going to do with it. It also depends on what you want to spend.

I noticed from your links you were looking at popup campers. They are nice but are also kinda big.

You can build your own trailer for roughly under $500.00.(got a bro that did it and its a great little trailer.)

You start with This
mount a deck to it
then add one of these
add some paint
and Waaaaaaaa-la One Bike Trailer.

A member here has one similar to my brosLink to his photo album

Or you could go here and they sell everything from cargo to popup bike trailers.
EXACTLY what I was talking about a few messages back!!

Old 10-25-2006 | 07:57 PM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

Yeah BG, my bro's trailer is nice and it comes in handy. His wife is one of those pack everything types and he needed it.
His has a sheet of diamond plate aluminum for the decking, and he painted the rest of the trailer and frmae to match his scooter.

One other little item we have added was two PVC pipes with screw on caps, them full size folding camp chairs fit in them nicely and gives more room in the cargo area. Couple of PVC pipes, couple of caps, four U-Clamps and paint.

Old 10-25-2006 | 09:24 PM
ILSRWY6
Cruiser

The best trailer on the market is Bushtec out of Tennessee. Slightly more costly, but you get what you pay for. Great re-sell value. I have hauled a trailer for many years, biggest issue if loaded is braking. You want to allow a little more time to stop. Over than that you will never notice a Bushtec.

[IMG]local://upfiles/11696/801FD579120F4CA6A33907BBED6A5CDE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-25-2006 | 11:13 PM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

ORIGINAL: ILSRWY6

The best trailer on the market is Bushtec out of Tennessee. Slightly more costly, but you get what you pay for. Great re-sell value. I have hauled a trailer for many years, biggest issue if loaded is braking. You want to allow a little more time to stop. Over than that you will never notice a Bushtec.

[IMG]local://upfiles/11696/801FD579120F4CA6A33907BBED6A5CDE.jpg[/IMG]
Ever notice how when someone spends money, its always the "Best On The Market".

Well the heads up Best on the Market is.......American Legend

Pricey...but they don't get any better than this, for a cargo trailer.

And the Harley Style Fenders and Lighting just make them look great behind a Harley-Davidson

Old 10-25-2006 | 11:49 PM
Lpye
Road Captain

I have pulled a trailer for about 6 or 7 years behind an electraglide. No problems. I am on my second trailer. It is a Bushtec. As far as I am concerned it is the best trailer on the market.

Old 10-26-2006 | 12:15 AM
SoCalRoadGlide
Cruiser

We used to have an American Legend we pulled with our '01 RKC. We got it with most of the bells and whistles, including painted to match the Concord Purple and Diamond Ice of the bike. Awsome trailer, pulled it around the country once, up and down the state of California many, many times. Only downer was folks would ask us to haul their stuff to rallies! It's like owning a pickup truck. The attached picture was taken when we loaded up to split from Glencoe whe we were at Sturgis in '01.

[IMG]local://upfiles/19544/8EED29B86D724AA7867437B3110AE359.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-26-2006 | 12:42 AM
lilarlen
Cruiser

Another vote for Bushtec. I just love mine!

Little Arlen

Quick Reply: Bikes pulling trailers