Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bar swap...now it won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 05:33 PM
RedDogNC
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bar swap...now it won't start

You guys have been a huge help over the years hopefully someone can help me trouble shoot this one.

Installed a set of new Yaffe OEM Monkey Bars on my 09 Road Glide. Did everything nice and slow and I thought I got it done. Buttoned everything but the front fairing up and turned the ignition switch. All left side controls worked perfectly. All right side controls worked perfect. Hit the run switch and I did not hear the fuel pump or whatever that normal sound is begin. Tried start and nothing. It is in neutral.

1) Visually checked all fuses and they all appeared good. There is a block called Ignition relay and I can't look into it so if it is something that could have blown let me know.

2) To pull all the wires I clipped and re soldered them. (Pulling the pins through yaffe bars is ridiculous.) I could see they all look good. Since left side is 100% I am good there.

3) Finally I decided that some wires must have been cut on the right. Pulled all wires out and they were perfect. No abrasions or cuts. Damn!

4) looking in the switch housing I could see the wires that go to the top switches (Run and STart) had been pitched at one time, but doesn't appear they were sliced.

5) The TBW wires are jammed into the right side, but that shouldn't effect the starter...or can it?

I am at a loss. Help.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:38 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Your run/stop switch is in the right position, and if security, you do have the don, right?

Old 05-05-2011, 06:05 PM
h-d wrencher
Stellar HDF Member
Received 858 Likes on 328 Posts

I dont think it is the tbw because i installed cycle smith apes this year and the tbw came unhooked and my cruise light lit up green without the bike even runnin. Confused me and a dealership mechanic for days.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:14 PM
RedDogNC
Tourer

Originally Posted by dbell66253
Your run/stop switch is in the right position, and if security, you do have the don, right?
Not sure of the don?

I have the Key Fob in my pocket and the lights do not flash when I turn the ignition to on so the bike is receiving that signal.

Sounds the TBW is not part of this problem. What really gets me is I got these wires through these bars from hell fairly easily and now I pulled them out for no reason.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:20 PM
bmcgc
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the bike in gear?

Did you reinstall the ignition switch correctly?

Old 05-05-2011, 06:28 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

Have you checked for trouble codes? If you do a search on this forum, someone had an easy to follow write up on how to check them and what each code means. I wonder if the sensor that determines if the bike falls over got tripped. Pretty sure it disables the fuel pump and the ignition when it trips. Can't remember what it's called off the top of my head though.

You sure you didn't cross any wires when you did the cut and solder?

Zach

Old 05-05-2011, 06:31 PM
kuma
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default well

I installed the same bars 2 weeks ago. Got it all back together after alot of choice words and the engine light come on. Seemed I pulled the fly by wire assembly apart somewhere. Got the other part# off of this forum not sure which one do a search. But Got it reinstalled and Bam worked great. But its easy to pull one of those wires loose. By the way I used Baby powder to help pull everything together.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:54 PM
RedDogNC
Tourer

Used an ohm meter to check all wires and switches. All good. Took a step back and thought about everything and then I realized there was one fuse I could not check...the large black starter relay. I need to go get a new one and see if that is it. Before you say anything yes I was stupid and did not pull the main fuse before starting work. Very possible that relay is dead.

Now back to pulling the wires....again.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:04 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 671 Likes on 535 Posts

clutch switch?

Old 05-05-2011, 07:53 PM
RedDogNC
Tourer

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
clutch switch?
If there is something wrong with the clutch switch will the bike not start?

Quick Reply: Bar swap...now it won't start