Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bar swap...now it won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 09:38 PM
RedDogNC
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

1st I am an IDIOT!

2nd You guys are AWESOME.

I was at the end of my rope last night. I under took this task during the week after each work day. I have 3 kids active in sports plus other duties yet I tackled this install when I had free moments and when I ran into trouble I freaked. I got great input from this forum and the road glide forum but last night I was ready to give in and spend the bucks to have a pro fix my f-up. Then I had a good nights rest and slept in today. After waking up I re read many posts and I just kept thinking what did I miss? Then I decided one more time to go over everything I had done. Since it was the run/off switch in question I focused on that. I grabbed the manual and looked up what wire was involved. Gray and White/Black. Ok start there. I looked at the wiring harness (back in the bike for the 5 time) I just followed it. (Don't forget I did this once before) Pulled back the shrink wrap at the solder and saw gray to gray (as before), but I twisted the wire this time and holy **** there was a white stripe! I know checked the gray with white and it was mated to gray. I didn't know if I should dance for joy or end my life right there. Gray with White BTW is Mode Select Down which wasn't working either, but I never noticed. Dumb ***. Anyway long story short I took the bars off again... cut and re soldered the two wires...hooked everything up and I am riding again! Just got back from a test ride with the new bars and I can't stop smiling! Everything works 100%. I believe splicing the wires was the right way to go. Pulling everything through those Yaffe bars was a breeze without a bunch of pins. The key is triple check the wires before you solder them back together. Also cutting out the TBW green connector was a huge help as well. I would never had attempted this if I hadn't felt your support would get me through and it did. I need to go for another ride.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:54 PM
indigofarm
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome. Did the monkey bar conversion.

I was going to recommend checking the wires. Actually thought that maybe the pin wasn't pushed all the way in the molex connector.

Glad you are back in action

Old 05-07-2011, 10:03 PM
RedDogNC
Tourer

Originally Posted by indigofarm
Awesome. Did the monkey bar conversion.

I was going to recommend checking the wires. Actually thought that maybe the pin wasn't pushed all the way in the molex connector.

Glad you are back in action
I did not pull the pins because I didn't not want to deal with trying to pull them through the bars and the reassembly. My plan was almost perfect...I just forgot the solder the correct wires together part.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:53 AM
bpez317
Cruiser

Like I said ....you were living my worst fear...glad you're back in action!

Old 05-08-2011, 07:19 AM
HDGent
Advanced

Sweet that you got it figured out! I'm reading every post I can find about handlebars while I'm waiting for my sweepers to come in so I can do the swap. My Idiot Factor is off the charts so I'm trying to prepare myself for the worst.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:31 AM
RedDogNC
Tourer

Here they are.

Attached Thumbnails Bar swap...now it won't start-yaffebarsback.jpg   Bar swap...now it won't start-yaffebarsfront.jpg   Bar swap...now it won't start-yaffebarsside.jpg