Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bar swap...now it won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:03 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 671 Likes on 535 Posts

not even sure if there is one thought they added a safty to the clutch on mewer bikes so it has to be pulled in to start?

Old 05-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Ron "Gunner" Retzlaff
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by h-d wrencher
I dont think it is the tbw because i installed cycle smith apes this year and the tbw came unhooked and my cruise light lit up green without the bike even runnin. Confused me and a dealership mechanic for days.
Originally Posted by kuma
I installed the same bars 2 weeks ago. Got it all back together after alot of choice words and the engine light come on. Seemed I pulled the fly by wire assembly apart somewhere. Got the other part# off of this forum not sure which one do a search. But Got it reinstalled and Bam worked great. But its easy to pull one of those wires loose. By the way I used Baby powder to help pull everything together.
If you pull the TBW connector apart the bike will still start, but you will have zero throttle response. Ask me how I know! Did a bar swap and the green connector came apart during reassembly, fuel pump pressurized without an issue, started right up, but it would not rev at all. I ended up taking the wiring harness back out, taping the connector back together and then putting heat shrink around it. That thing won't come apart again.

Sorry, its not the TBW connector guys.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by RedDogNC
Used an ohm meter to check all wires and switches. All good. Took a step back and thought about everything and then I realized there was one fuse I could not check...the large black starter relay. I need to go get a new one and see if that is it. Before you say anything yes I was stupid and did not pull the main fuse before starting work. Very possible that relay is dead.

Now back to pulling the wires....again.
Starter relay should not keep the fuel pump from pressurizing. Did you check for codes like I suggested earlier? The bank angle sensor was what I was trying to think of. I'm pretty sure it disables the fuel pump and ignition. You should be able to check the starter relay operation without replacing it. I would think you could put a volt meter on it and test voltage with ignition on and pressing the start button. No?

Zach

Old 05-05-2011, 09:39 PM
RedDogNC
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggzed
Starter relay should not keep the fuel pump from pressurizing. Did you check for codes like I suggested earlier? The bank angle sensor was what I was trying to think of. I'm pretty sure it disables the fuel pump and ignition. You should be able to check the starter relay operation without replacing it. I would think you could put a volt meter on it and test voltage with ignition on and pressing the start button. No?

Zach
Did the sweep. got dqA9 and P55Ptb. Trying to locate them now.

The starter relay has 4 plugs so I am unsure how to check it. I'll swing by my local dealer to eliminate it as a possibility. If the relay is bad why wouldn't that stop the fuel pump from pressurizing? It only kicks on when the the run switch is thrown and doesn't run to the starter relay? Having a hard time figuring it out with the manual charts.

Got it put together again and now the left turn signal only works in the rear not the front. Strange.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:47 PM
jasnusc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PINCHED WIRE..........

I swapped the bars on my 09 SG and had the Exact Same Problems. I thought of a pinched wire and took all the controls apart and couldnt find anything. Took it to the dealer and they found a pinched wire in both sides.

When you are tightening the controls it is very easy to accidently not get the bundle of wires in the dimple on the handle bars and they pinch when you tighten them down.

Thats My 2 Cents......

Old 05-05-2011, 09:49 PM
bpez317
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might need to pull the schematic and double check the wires in your connectors. They don't go to the same colors on the other connectors. Just did my bars back in Feb and you're living my biggest fear....

Old 05-05-2011, 09:55 PM
RedDogNC
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jasnusc
PINCHED WIRE..........

I swapped the bars on my 09 SG and had the Exact Same Problems. I thought of a pinched wire and took all the controls apart and couldnt find anything. Took it to the dealer and they found a pinched wire in both sides.

When you are tightening the controls it is very easy to accidently not get the bundle of wires in the dimple on the handle bars and they pinch when you tighten them down.

Thats My 2 Cents......

You might be on to it. When I pulled it apart there was a pinch with the Start and Run buttons. I used an ohm meter to check it and it worked. Maybe the wires are broke/loose in there own insulation?

Old 05-05-2011, 10:01 PM
jasnusc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats where I would put my money!

Mine were pinched so close there was enough slack to cut off the pinched end and reconnect it.

Good Luck.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:22 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure of the don?

I have the Key Fob in my pocket and the lights do not flash when I turn the ignition to on so the bike is receiving that signal.

Sounds the TBW is not part of this problem. What really gets me is I got these wires through these bars from hell fairly easily and now I pulled them out for no reason.
That's supposed to be fob, darn android phone.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:45 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe the wires are broke/loose in there own insulation?
That is a very common problem in these bikes. I'm betting it's a pinched wire too.

Quick Reply: Bar swap...now it won't start