Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking primary chain and adjustment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 01:22 PM
SecondChance!!
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Checking primary chain and adjustment.***UPDATE!!**

I am having a bit of engine noise and someone mentioned to check my primary chain. I pulled off the primary cover and checked my OM and it states that it should have 5/8ths-7/8ths of play cold and 3/8ths-5/8ths play hot. What it did not state, or I just could not figure it out, was do I check the top chain, which has some play, as I expected for it is between the pulleys or do i check it on the bottom over the adjustment shoe? My scoot is and '04 EGC. Help a manual reading challenged individual out!!!!!

Last edited by SecondChance!!; 05-15-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:32 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

I always measure from the top of the chain.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:09 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

You don't say what year your bike is, but for my '06 the chain is checked thru the inspection cover.. I measure my tension from the bottom edge of the inspection window to the underneath part of the top of the chain. I don't have my SM with me here at work, just going from memory. Your hot and cold specs are reversed.

Last edited by soos; 05-05-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:55 PM
SecondChance!!
Road Master

Thanks SOOS, you are correct, AGAIN!! I added tht it was an 04 EGC and I swapped the measurments around so they are correct. Thanks.
I am thinking that I can take a welding rod and bend it into an offset hook and mark it where it just makes contact with the bottom of the chain with the top part of the window and then push the chain to the top and mark it again. Then measure it. See what I come up with.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

You might have to measure at 2-3 different points to see if it gets tighter or loose at different position.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:29 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah find the tightest spot on the chain and adjust it 5/8 cold. Has always worked great for me. If your chain is stretched real bad in one spot you should consider replacing it.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:34 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Check the chain in the center at the top.
Your specs are correct.
Easier to do it cold.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:45 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

Do a you tube search on "Harley primary chain adjustment" and you will find a video that shows step by step how to.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:12 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,726 Likes on 3,951 Posts

I took a #10 white coated wire and bent a hook on it like an L. With it sitting on the bottom open of the adjustment window it is long enough to go up through the chain by about 1 1/2" or so. Wheel off ground, plugs out and in gear I rotate rear wheel and push up on chain till I find tightest area. The I put my gage in and note were bottom edge of chain link is on wire and I removed it and marked position with a black Sharpe. Measured up and made a 5/8 mark and then a 3/4 mark. Now I have a go/no gage. Once you have it made you can use it over since when you put it in you can tilt it slight so as to reference the bottom mark and then push up. I alway keep the tension so the chain is pulled tight. I also center it by eyeball in the center of the window were the adjustment nut is since the is the center of the chain length (see insert). The adjustment step is about 1/4 because of the serration. My adjust never changes but I do have a lot of run out. I need 7/8 of freeplay to keep from dropping to below 5/8. Think my primary chain is stretched in places or my primary inner bearing is worn. Plan on checking the bearing and replacing the chain next winter. My primary at idle sounds like a rotary tiller in a gravel bed.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:12 PM
SecondChance!!
Road Master

Well, I went and pulled the primary cover this morning and took a bent coat hanger and marked it where it just touched the chain, marking from the bottom of the window edge.
Bike was on lift just so fat boy could reach it easier. I then pushed up on the chain till it stopped above the adjuster, marked it with a sharpie again. I measured this and found it was 3/4". Did it again to only find it was the same measurement. Right or wrong? Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Checking primary chain and adjustment.