Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anbody else out there with monotube issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 05:34 AM
rbart
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasSG

Yeah, as frustrated as I am, I am confident that the issue will be resolved. The guys at Progressive that I've talked to, especially Frank, have been very professional and open-minded (read: not acting like it's not their problem), plus they are replacing the monotubes despite their testing revealing no problems. I don't know what else I could ask for.
There are several with monotubes on this forum that are having no issues, including at least one lowered 2". Plus, I had a long discussion with Brian at Eastern Performance and he said they've installed many with no complaints/issues.
I'll post results when I get my bike back together.

I installed a set in my 2012 RGC this past April lowered 1". At first the suspension was very stiff, now it bottoms out at any decent bump in the road and even minor bumps when applying the brakes. And LOUD too. I also notice that I can sit an compress my front end just by pushing it down while standing still with the front brake on.... couldn't do that at all when it first came back a 2 months or so ago. Goes back to the dealer on the 26th. Lets see what he says..

Old 12-23-2013, 09:32 AM
blazink5
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've just installed the monotube lowered kit on my 09SG this past Sat. I used only 1 preload clip on each side and both springs to drop it 2". The reason why I only used 1 preload clip is because after viewing the install video via PS, they mentioned if you are under 170 lbs, use 1 clip. I'm about 160lbs. After buttoning everything up and taking a quick 5 mile ride, I did notice a CLUNK when going up my driveway. I must say that I really like the stance and I really like how it rides but that damn CLUNK just ticks me off. I handled the install myself and took my sweet time and reading instructions and watching videos to make sure I do it right. PS, can you please chime in for any type of resolution to OUR issues?

Old 12-23-2013, 09:35 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

This is the exact reason I took them out. The final straw was when program told me its a 1920 designed fork and there's nothing that can be done.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Recently put them on my 2012 CVO Road Glide custom. I notice a "floating" feeling on the freeway and a subtle but noticeable wiggle/wobble.

I did 10" monkey bars at the same time and I am wondering if the bars are exaggerating the feel of a wobble or if there really is a wobble?

The loose floating feeling is real, the wobble is like a gremlin I am trying to confirm.

Anyone with experience out there on this?

Old 12-24-2013, 09:36 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 2807
Recently put them on my 2012 CVO Road Glide custom. I notice a "floating" feeling on the freeway and a subtle but noticeable wiggle/wobble.

I did 10" monkey bars at the same time and I am wondering if the bars are exaggerating the feel of a wobble or if there really is a wobble?

The loose floating feeling is real, the wobble is like a gremlin I am trying to confirm.

Anyone with experience out there on this?
I did also.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:44 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

The bars exaggerate the wobble. If you look at the bars they look like that due to the extra height and how much they vibrate. I have 17" apes and they look like they are shaking back and forth but I can set the cruise (60, 70, 80 mph whatever)and take my hands off them for as long as I like without issue. I have the montubes at stock height and have no issue with a clunk in them at all.

I am not condoning riding without hands, merely saying i do it all teh time with my monotubes and apes and have not had an issue related to it.