Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anbody else out there with monotube issues?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 12:41 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by jefla
Aagh. I'm beginning to upgrade (fix) the suspension on my 09 SG. Have discovered Howard at Motorcycle Metal and the rave reviews re Ohlins, so I've ordered #3, #3. Now the front. I hear good re PS monotubes and very recently talked w/ Frank, who said the problems were a tolerance-related design issue that has been fixed. But I don't trust this product. Biggest concern I have is that PS does not provide info needed to ensure that new orders aren't filled from old stock. Plus, I believe this IS a safety issue. FRANK/PS, PLEASE REPLY.

I don't want to wait for Motorcycle Metal's product, which I fear will be pricey, so what to do? Can the board help with alternatives? Looking to keep stock heigth or a bit lower and will add chrome lowers in the process.
Thanks
Don't fear that the Ohlin's fork cartridge will be pricey, I am here to reassure you they WILL be pricey. They will be more than the AK-20's. Whether either product is worth the cost is a personal thing.

Last edited by qtrracer; 12-04-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:29 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

I was seriously looking at the Traxxion AK-20's , talked to Max the owner , he told me to go to cvoharley.com and read the reviews , I did , everyone loved them however there were about 5 guys that had gone fron stock to monotubes to Traxxion , all said Traxxion was the best but for the money they wished they had stayed with monotubes , for $300 they felt monotubes were a great value at $1300 they felt the AK-20's were better but not $1000 better and monotubes were the best value , I went with monotubes and am happy

Old 12-04-2011, 02:46 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators is what I am running. I'm happy with them, but I always feel that I don't have the best up front. So Traxxion AK 20's are my next up-grade. There is quite a money difference between the monotubes or the Gold Valves (around a $1,000 dif), but there are no clunking issues and they are the best ride you can put inside Harley forks.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:50 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Instead of the Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators, how about just using the Race Tech springs?

or would you have to do both?

I'm planning on upgrading my front end next year and I'm following all these threads on front end suspension....

Old 12-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

I just installed Progressive Monotubes (1" lowered) on my '95 Road King last week. I've experienced no clunking issues to date, but will keep an eye out for it. The peformance has been very good so far.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:31 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

I bought the monotubes when they first came out. No problems so far.15k on them,Sometimes I miss the sloppy stock set up in a strange way....hard to explain. Was later informed they actually did lower the front 0.5 to 0.75 inches but were advertized as stock height(before kits had the clips..ect) which I offset with the 940's lowering affect of about 1 inch so all worked out well after that. +1 no clunk ,but now i found this thread I will report back If it shows up.Big bump up on performance for the buck

Last edited by voodoodrug; 12-04-2011 at 08:33 PM. Reason: conclussion
Old 12-05-2011, 07:11 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Got this off another forum;

Progressive Monotube fix
I started looking around at fork and shock upgrades and ran into a few threads regarding complaints of leaking nitrogen with the Progressive monotubes. I concluded for those customers that have not had a failure (yet) they were very happy with the product. The problem was not specific to the mechanical failure, there were complaints regarding customer service as well.

I emailed Progressive and asked what they were doing about the problem and they responded back promptly. As a result of the nitrogen leaking issue they shut down production of the product for four months until they came up with a design that fixed the problem. It has to do with a revision of the piston design that separates the nitrogen and oil. Bench testing of one million strokes equal to 80K miles proved successful with the new design.

I started a new thread to address this issue instead of tacking it onto another related thread. Better chance of the word getting out.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:48 AM
t059736
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Good day all, including Progressive Suspension.
In fairness to all; Progessive, "Would it not be a good idea to post something on your website with regards to this clunking issue?"
There is either something wrong with the suspension, the installation or people's ears and I doubt very much that it is the 3rd option.
Your statement that "Progressive stands behind their products" should be enough to ensure your website contains all revelant information; good or bad, related to your products.
Ride In Peace
G

Old 12-05-2011, 10:05 AM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Instead of the Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators, how about just using the Race Tech springs?

or would you have to do both?

I'm planning on upgrading my front end next year and I'm following all these threads on front end suspension....
I actually ordered both, but chose to only install the Gold Valve Emulators upon a recommendation that the Harley springs are not as stiff. So I kept the stock springs and installed the Gold valves. It is lowered 1" also.

They are a great improvement. From a scale of 1-10, if stock is a 4 (which it is) Gold valves are a 7. I'm happy, but I'm still saving for the Triaxxons.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:33 AM
creep1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CLUNK here. grabbing front brake hard- dives serious. These monotubes are junk. sucks I have to tear apart my whole front end again. Goin with traxxions or racetech

Quick Reply: Anbody else out there with monotube issues?