Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anbody else out there with monotube issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:21 AM
TexasSG
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Progressive Suspension
Hey guys, we have a pretty substantial number of the Monotube Fork Kits in use and rarely see problems with them let's see if we can get you sorted out before you do something drastic like go back to stock!

Give our tech line a call, an actual human will help you out. 714.523.8700

Yeah, as frustrated as I am, I am confident that the issue will be resolved. The guys at Progressive that I've talked to, especially Frank, have been very professional and open-minded (read: not acting like it's not their problem), plus they are replacing the monotubes despite their testing revealing no problems. I don't know what else I could ask for.
There are several with monotubes on this forum that are having no issues, including at least one lowered 2". Plus, I had a long discussion with Brian at Eastern Performance and he said they've installed many with no complaints/issues.
I'll post results when I get my bike back together.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:09 AM
StreetPilot
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Progressive Suspension
Hey guys, we have a pretty substantial number of the Monotube Fork Kits in use and rarely see problems with them let's see if we can get you sorted out before you do something drastic like go back to stock!

Give our tech line a call, an actual human will help you out. 714.523.8700
Progressive, Do you have an extension #. I just spent 20mins on the phone going back and forth from voicemail to the operator and I was caller # 1 for the whole time.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:15 AM
StreetPilot
Advanced

Originally Posted by TexasSG

Yeah, as frustrated as I am, I am confident that the issue will be resolved. The guys at Progressive that I've talked to, especially Frank, have been very professional and open-minded (read: not acting like it's not their problem), plus they are replacing the monotubes despite their testing revealing no problems. I don't know what else I could ask for.
There are several with monotubes on this forum that are having no issues, including at least one lowered 2". Plus, I had a long discussion with Brian at Eastern Performance and he said they've installed many with no complaints/issues.
I'll post results when I get my bike back together.
The most frustrating part for me is that I have taken these apart 3x then felt I must be to darn inept to change shocks so I brought it to the $tealer and had them do a a reinstall 2x (cha ching they charged me outrageously) and they still clunk though not as much as the before. Thank you fellow riders for sharing your stories as I was starting to feel that the clunk was just the price to pay for lowered progressive shocks. . .

Old 05-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Progressive Suspension
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Frank is extension 259

Originally Posted by StreetPilot
Progressive, Do you have an extension #. I just spent 20mins on the phone going back and forth from voicemail to the operator and I was caller # 1 for the whole time.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:34 AM
StreetPilot
Advanced

First I would like to say Progressive you have excellent customer service. I call the extension that was posted and spoke with Frank. He was very knowledgeable about the issue and gave some possible reasons. one being to much oil in the tube. He said that there are shocks in production and was willing to trade mine out if needed. Having delt with a few other vendors ( who just outright suck!!! and not in gratifying way, I would give Progressive 5 out of 5 stars for at least being willing to acknowledge and replace the parts. It doesnt make the process any less frustrating but at least they are trying and not just blowing us off.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:47 AM
o-matt
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasSG
Brian at Eastern Performance (who sold them to me in the first place) said he'll send me a set and then just have Progressive send him the set when they get their stock replenished.............Now that's customer service right there Clark!
I have to give a +1 shout out for Brian. He was excellent when I placed my order. I had an 09 FLHX non-ABS at the time, and had a set of wheels coming. During the time it took to get the wheels from the manufacturer, I switched to this FLTRU with ABS. Brian was cool as a cucumber and helped me get the right parts for my bike. Definitely recommended.

To the OP, I hope you get your issues sorted, as I'm about to drop in a set of PS monotubes with the same American Suspension chrome lower legs. Will be following this thread closely.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:42 AM
satksa
Stage III
Default Add me to the list

I wish I would have read this post before I spent half the day yesterday installing new Chrome sliders and monotubes on my 11 street glide. I went for a test ride and heard a "clunk" on a parking lot transition and thought I forgot to tighten something. I can easily reproduce the noise by hitting the front brakes hard. I then came back and checked everything short of tearing the forks down again, everything was tight. So like most people I searched "progressive monotubes clunk" and I got a lot of returns with customers complaining of the same issue. Seems like a safety issue if as I read in this post they can fail.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:02 PM
TexasSG
Road Captain

Okay, it's fixed. I spent the last three days installing my second set of Progressive monotubes, 12" Monkey bars, painted inner fairing, black levers, black extended cables, V&H Dresser Duals, 4" Rineharts, 12pt polished stainless clutch & primary cover bolts, (blue led) gauges & radio (from Marty on this forum) and shaved the front fender. Just got back from a short shake down ride and the clunk is gone. Seems like the front end is stiffer too (a good thing).

Old 05-31-2011, 09:22 AM
TexasSG
Road Captain

Update: rode to work this morning and since my "just had 1/2 my bike in pieces now what's going to fall off" paranoia had subdued I noticed the ride quality.....muy bueno!! Perfect combination of firm/compliant if that makes sense. Soaks up the bumps well without being too soft and NO NOISES!!

Old 06-01-2011, 05:37 AM
satksa
Stage III
Default Call to Progressive

I talked to a Progressive Customer service rep yesterday and he told me since I used the 1" lowered option, long spring and 3 "C" spacers, I only have 1 3/4" inches of travel and will bottom out on "sharp" transitions. He told me not to worry unless the "clunk" happens during normal riding? I'm an engineer and would be fired if I told my customers the noise was normal! Is this the way they designed and tested this system? I told him if I hit the front brakes hard I can reproduce the noise, again don't worry, it's safe. I rode about 175 miles yesterday, new 940's on the rear and the clunking tubes on the front. The bike handles very good but all I do is look ahead of me and debate which road condition will produce a clunk. Maybe I should lie and say it happens all the time, however, I live in Pittsburgh and the weather finally broke and I don't want to waste good weather to pull the front end apart.

Quick Reply: Anbody else out there with monotube issues?