Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Everybody said the oil filter on these touring bikes was a pain in the ass

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 06:33 AM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1st 96 ultra
HD came out with a new wrench with a cut out for the crank sensor
I picked one up at my HD and its great, the cut out makes it easy to get at the filter, I can pull the filter in under 1 minute!

Old 07-03-2011, 10:32 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

You guys realize of course that you are talking about an item that just cost me $9.95 at my Harley dealership? Oh Yeah! And it works great!

Old 07-03-2011, 10:37 AM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I scratched around my garage and found a filter wrench that fit the filter then made a cut out in it just like the Harle part using a Dremel tool. Works great!

Old 07-03-2011, 11:41 AM
biggrantwilliam
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use a K+N filter it has a nut on the end, and is a better filter.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:05 AM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I tried leaving my bike on the center stand for awhile [ or you could use your jack or a piece of wood if you don't have a center stand ] so the oil would drain back in the motor better then put it down on the side stand and then removed the filter , helped a lot but still a little oil but not near as much

Old 07-04-2011, 07:19 AM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by biggrantwilliam
Use a K+N filter it has a nut on the end, and is a better filter.
The K+N filter is OK but it's not as good as a Harley filter. The Hartley will filter finer particles than the K+N.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:40 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by sgt1577
You might want to try the K&N oil filter next time. They include a hex nut on the end of the filter. Very easy to get off. Come in chrome too!
Having a nut at the end is a big plus however, since K&N doesn't publish the specs of their filters, I don't know if it's as good as the others. I'd rather struggle a little bit when I replace the filter but be sure that it traps the smallest particles, but that's just me.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:59 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

A lot of media hype with what size particles a filter will capture. H-D specs at 5 microns yet many filters will will catch a 1 micron particle depending on flow rate. What H-D won't tell you is the nominal micron size the filter will catch at higher flow rates. Microns in excess of 40 can pass thru many filters at high oil flow. I just put on a PC Racing (K&P type) filter set-up on my bike. Nominal micron size is 35 meaning filter is guaranteed to not let anything larger than 35 microns to get thru. Plus it has a lot better flow rate and eases up pressure on oil pump....

Old 07-14-2011, 10:18 AM
Biker Chad
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RIVCO makes an oil fitler wrench that works great on stock Harley filters it is called the wench (RIVCO part number HD-021 $19.95). The wench has a lifetime warranty, I use them all the time when I change oil for my customers. The wench is great if you want to use the stock oil filter but I recommend using K&N's oil filters they are a far better filter than stock and they have a 17mm nut welded to the filter so a socket and ratchet is all I need to change my oil.
I also recommend the "Scavenger" made by Rogue Choppers it is an awesom unit that flushes the quart of used oil out of your engine that is left in with a regular oil change. I have use the Scavenger on all my customer's bikes and they are all amazed that their oil is as clean as it is in the bottle even after many miles are put on after I change their oil. This unit will also prevent the new filter from having to filter the crud out of the old oil that is left in your engine thus keeping you oil filter and oil cleaner longer.
I also read some one posted that K&N doesn't advertise their oil filters micron catch capabilities, this is untrue, K&N oil filters catch particles at 20 microns (a 30 micron particle is about as big as this lower case o) about 98% of the time and have a much higher flow rate than Harley's filters. When evaluating an oil filter take into consideration flow rate, and the percentage that particles of any size are caught at that flow rate, a higher flow rate is more important than a 5 micron catch size if the flow rate at 5 microns is so low that the bypass valve opens up in the filter and then your filter is catching NO particles just to keep up with engine demand (like the stock filter). You also need to consider the surface area of the filter element in the filter a three dimensional element is preffered over a 2 dimensional element that is used in many high dollar "washable" stainless and billet aluminum cartridge style filters to keep oil flowing around trapped dirt rather than clogging the oil filter and causing the bypass valve to open. And then there is the single pass and multi pass efficiency rate to consider.
I never recommend using a auto oil filter to save money as they do not work like a mototcycle oil filter and the cost of the possible engine damage will out-way the $3.00 savings.
I don't know everything, but I did sleep at a holiday express last night.

Last edited by Biker Chad; 07-14-2011 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Added K&N micron rating etc
Old 07-14-2011, 10:56 AM
BRW
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sgt1577
you might want to try the k&n oil filter next time. They include a hex nut on the end of the filter. Very easy to get off. Come in chrome too!
+1111

Quick Reply: Everybody said the oil filter on these touring bikes was a pain in the ass