Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealers and my very well taught lesson.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011 | 10:03 PM
TO34
|
Road Warrior
Default Dealers and my very well taught lesson.

Cliff notes at the bottom, kinda long rant/dealer

So if anyone has read any of my threads you know I picked up a 2000 Ultra Classic Peace Officer Edition. Like any bike at a dealer it looked clean and test rode well. I looked the bike over from head to toe and really didn't see any wear besides just age.

Now I have had two trips to my Indy because of "odd" oil pressure and discovered the that SE Cam plate plunger was blowing oil all over the place.
So I get a phone call from my indy guy & there is a NUT! a damn NUT was being used as a spacer on the spring! So I replaced it with the Basiley Spring /plunger upgrade. (warning #1 something isn't right)

A few weeks later I'm back in the indy shop because it sounds like hell in the motor. Thought maybe it was a oil issue or something else.. but turned out one of the valves was stuck/fused because of carbon build up. Funny the dealer told me the motor had just had a rebuild only 10k miles ago.
And yes before you ask... there was a receipt for a rebuild from a now-closed indy shop. (waring #2 something ins't right)

It was also at this time the indy dealer discovered SE adjustable push-rods, Woods TW-6 Cams. But wait, it gets better no update of any sort of the EFI and it still had the STOCK air cleaner on it. What a cluster-F! In other words a very half-a## job of who knows what stage upgrade. So now the bike is back to running stock cams and adjusted the push rods for them. and yes there is a serious difference in ride from the Woods to the Stock cams miss them already. (warning #3 something isn't right and guess what I'm out some serious cash! labor is a bitch)

I was also told and informed that the bike had never had any damage of any sorts.. But after this last weekend when I broke down my bike for a good wash , wax before the summer sun does it's best to screw up the paint I discover a split in the rear fender.. now thats damn odd shouldn't it be steel? Nope looks like the whole fender is a fiberglass replacement. So now I have to replace that too.

I pull the tour pak apart to clean it up check the wires just make sure its all in good order and discover inspection stickers under the tour pak liner from 2002. Now mind you not the date of inspection of 2002 but date of manufactured 2002!

So I set off and start to really dig into the bike & find that the left side side body cover for the fuses does not match the right.

At this point I have the bike torn down & using my laser guide to check the frame to ensure its straight, thankfully it is. Wife thought I had lost my mind.

I really want to call up the dealer & just go off but I know thats pointless but damn really ? Im not sure who got over on who... the 1st owner on the trade in or the dealer selling it to me?

Can I really blame the dealer maybe, can I blame myself for being a idiot? YES! I should of known something was up with the price I got it at.

I called the DMV that was fun.. bike was never reported in an accident but this is Cal so who the #$%^& knows.

Cliff Notes:
I am Idiot , never trust a dealer!
My list of upgrades just got a lot bigger.

Old 05-03-2011 | 10:14 PM
MadIrish
Tourer

Talk to the dealer...what do you have to lose but some time?? Good luck!

Old 05-03-2011 | 10:30 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master

Talk to the dealer in a calm manner. Allow him to explain his side. When you leave you can decide if the dealer is a good one or not.

Old 05-03-2011 | 10:33 PM
johnu
Cruiser

Many motorcycles are run thru auctions only to land "who knows where?" with a "who knows what?" history!

Old 05-03-2011 | 10:46 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior

You bought the bike "as is". You have no recourse against the dealer. Sorry.

Old 05-03-2011 | 11:13 PM
TO34
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by slhanks4
I'm not looking for "recourse", at the least just a vent and others points of views.

Old 05-03-2011 | 11:50 PM
ehans
Tourer

Originally Posted by slhanks4
He bought the bike "as represented." If the dealer said there was no damage and there is clear evidence the thing has been wrecked, I'd try to work it out with the dealer, but if that fails, I'd talk to a lawyer.

Old 05-04-2011 | 12:23 AM
vtwin1340
Club Member

What does this have to do with the dealer? "it looked clean and test rode well" You bought an eleven year old used bike.

Old 05-04-2011 | 01:27 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member

if i am getting this right, you bought a used bike from a dealer, and you test rode it before buying it. i'm also betting you looked at the bike as thoroughly as you could. you then take it to an independent shop and the guy there didn't like what he saw after opening it up. to me it looks like it could have been an auction bike, or something that someone else had traded in. whoever traded it in used some junkyard tactics to get it ridable. so exactly who is it that you're pissed off at, your dealer, the previous owner, the indy, or yourself? i would expect that you can get the bike in good shape with some parts and just taking care of what's wrong. you didn't buy a new bike afterall, so some work is to be expected.

Old 05-04-2011 | 03:13 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member

This is why I am very wary of any used vehicle. Many people trade off or sell a vehicle only because it is screwed up in some way and they want to unload it. Sometimes it is hard to tell what that problem is until you already have it.

Quick Reply: Dealers and my very well taught lesson.