Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealers and my very well taught lesson.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011 | 12:23 PM
TO34
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by imrotton2
why was the cam replaced(back to stock).????.. i dropped a valve in mine and it did a big mess in my engine...
The reason for the cam swap back to stock is because the EFI was never tunned for the cams. I plan on getting a tuner so I can start doing this crap myself.

Also to address some other issues NO I'M NOT SEEKING LEGAL ANYTHING! I'm not one to sue I'm more of a handshake kinda guy, with that said I really need to get the hell out of cal.

Yes I'm going to keep the bike & have already fixed most the issues all that is left is the process of hopping up the motor the correct way.

Unlike some of the posts I lay a lot of the blame on myself because this had been the sort of bike I wanted for a long time. Just got to be the "kid in the candy store" issue. I'm adult enough to know that & admit it.

Old 05-07-2011 | 02:18 PM
monkey sammich
Road Master

Originally Posted by TO34
The reason for the cam swap back to stock is because the EFI was never tunned for the cams. I plan on getting a tuner so I can start doing this crap myself.
I'm not in your shoes, so I may well be missing something, but wouldn't it be cheaper and better for you to have spent the cash and gotten a tuner and air kit to work with the aftermarket cams?

Old 05-07-2011 | 05:42 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member

Used bike is always a big risk unless you know the history and the owner.

Bummer.

Old 05-07-2011 | 06:19 PM
OnTheFence
Tourer

Originally Posted by traveler
Soudns like you need to go trade it in for a new bike, to me.
Good Plan!! Take it to trade at the place it came from. If they thought it was good enough to buy once, they should have no problem buying it again.

Old 05-07-2011 | 07:25 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but that's the chance you take when buying a 12 year old bike.
Too many bikes go through auctions, some dealers even buy bikes at auctions when their inventories are low.
I agree 100%, a 12 yr old used bike will be" as is", chances are the dealer did not go over it with a fine tooth comb just to resell it.

Old 05-08-2011 | 10:06 AM
Nitro-Fish
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TO34

Also to address some other issues NO I'M NOT SEEKING LEGAL ANYTHING! I'm not one to sue I'm more of a handshake kinda guy, with that said I really need to get the hell out of cal.

Yes I'm going to keep the bike & have already fixed most the issues all that is left is the process of hopping up the motor the correct way.

Unlike some of the posts I lay a lot of the blame on myself because this had been the sort of bike I wanted for a long time. Just got to be the "kid in the candy store" issue. I'm adult enough to know that & admit it.
Glad to see there are still handshake kind of people around, that said, yes it sucks that you are finding problems with your new scoot, but hopefully you got a decent enough deal on the bike that you can go through & re-power the machine and still be money ahead. I wouldn't be too concerned about the tour pack being replaced, the bike may have fallen over in the driveway and caused damage & the previous owner just replaced it; I looked at one Peace Officer Special that the owner had removed the tour pack to try and achieve the street glide look then sold the tour pack! Maybe the person that owned your bike did the same thing. Don't know why the fender would be replaced unless the previous owner was considering fender/bag mods, may have had the tourpak off & swapped the fender to have a solo seat set-up & the original was scratched, who knows, a small rear impact (assuming a large rear impact would have shown deeper damage to say frame/swingarm/shocks). The up side of everything is you will know what you have when you are finished & you can ride with the confidence of knowing things are right. Get the bike to your liking & enjoy it, and if someone mentions buying a new (or used) bike, just steer them away from that dealer.