Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealers and my very well taught lesson.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011 | 09:01 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

I'm going to look at a "garage queen" tonite.'07 UC with 950 miles on the clock. Totally stock, no mods whatsoever, $13k is the asking price. It's for a buddy of mine. He was hoping for a used bike with all the goodies already. I told him this is better, he doesn't have to undo someone else's bs. He's going to offer $12k and see if the guy will bite.

Old 05-04-2011 | 09:07 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Yeah, that's a good deal, in that it's low mileage, and you know where the bike's been. When buying from the dealer, you never know. Here in Rapid City, they get bikes rode in for the rally from all over the world, and traded in....so you are really putting your neck on the line.

'07 is a good year. The pipes are pretty muffled, and the stock seat isn't the greatest, but for 12K, that can be easily addressed.

Any frame wobbles that may occur can be easily remedied with a True-Track from what I understand.

~Joe

Old 05-04-2011 | 09:20 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by TO34

And yes before you ask... there was a receipt for a rebuild from a now-closed indy shop.
I'd say the previous owner got hosed by that indy shop. I don't think you can blame the dealer you got it from.

I was also told and informed that the bike had never had any damage of any sorts..
I'd say the guy who traded it in hosed the dealer. I don't think you can blame the dealer you got it from.

I pull the tour pak apart to clean it up check the wires just make sure its all in good order and discover inspection stickers under the tour pak liner from 2002. Now mind you not the date of inspection of 2002 but date of manufactured 2002!
Maybe the Tour Pak is a replacement. Other things have been replaced. I don't think you can blame the dealer you got it from.

So I set off and start to really dig into the bike & find that the left side side body cover for the fuses does not match the right.
It's a 12 year old bike, things happen in 12 years. I don't think you can blame the dealer you got it from.

Can I really blame the dealer maybe, can I blame myself for being a idiot? YES! I should of known something was up with the price I got it at.
You are not an idiot, it's the chances you take for buying a 12 year old bike.

I called the DMV that was fun.. bike was never reported in an accident but this is Cal so who the #$%^& knows.
One time I had $5,000 damage done to a Corvette and when I was going to trade it in I did a CARFAX report on it and nothing showed up. If I buy used I still do a CARFAX report on what I'm buying but it really doesn't tell you much.

Cliff Notes:
I am Idiot, never trust a dealer!
My list of upgrades just got a lot bigger.
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but that's the chance you take when buying a 12 year old bike.
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but that's the chance you take when buying a 12 year old bike.
Too many bikes go through auctions, some dealers even buy bikes at auctions when their inventories are low.

Old 05-04-2011 | 03:27 PM
ehans
Tourer

Originally Posted by traveler
As it's used, there is no liability on the dealer...they didn't know of any of these problems.
My only problem is according to the OP the dealer said there was no damage. That was clearly a lie. One of two things happened:
  1. The dealer knew there was damage and blatently lied.
  2. The dealer didn't really know what the situation was but told him there was no damage to close the deal, so lied indicating he knew the truth when he didn't.
Even if the seller lied the dealer should not have taken his word for it and represented it as the whole truth. He should have said "well, the seller told me there was no damage, and the bike looks ok, but I don't know the whole story. We are selling it 'as is.'"

Assuming the OP has the full story, the dealer messed up.

Old 05-05-2011 | 08:03 AM
imrotton2
Road Master

why was the cam replaced(back to stock).????.. i dropped a valve in mine and it did a big mess in my engine...

Old 05-05-2011 | 12:00 PM
Nitro-Fish
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
You got hornswaggled, call a lawyer. When they took that bike on trade, they inspected it, so they at least knew about the external issues. I would have to agree they misrepresented that machine, I hope your contract fine print doesn't say "as is" anywhere.
Call a lawyer.......... thats whats wrong with people today, they don't take responsibililty for their own bad decisions, it's always someone else's fault & they want to sue somebody else. fabrik8r, I hope you never try to tag along on a group ride with other members here, they might make a turn you don't anticipate, you'll overshoot & get lost or something, and then you will get upset and get a lawyer involed because you made a bad decision. C'mon, the bike is used, the buyer gave it the once over, no shop I know tears a motor down before re-selling a bike, nor do they disassemble everything to see if all the numbers match; if it looks good cosmetically and the VIN numbers are good, they take the person trading it in for their word. The buyer looked over the bike, knew the price & thought it was good at the time, thats why they call it a "used" purchase, you may get a "good used deal" or a "bad used deal", its a 50/50 gamble, but you must look at the cost of major repairs when considering buying used, after all it is the "buyers choice" to close the deal.

Old 05-05-2011 | 05:44 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nitro-Fish
Call a lawyer.......... thats whats wrong with people today, they don't take responsibililty for their own bad decisions, it's always someone else's fault & they want to sue somebody else. fabrik8r, I hope you never try to tag along on a group ride with other members here, they might make a turn you don't anticipate, you'll overshoot & get lost or something, and then you will get upset and get a lawyer involed because you made a bad decision. C'mon, the bike is used, the buyer gave it the once over, no shop I know tears a motor down before re-selling a bike, nor do they disassemble everything to see if all the numbers match; if it looks good cosmetically and the VIN numbers are good, they take the person trading it in for their word. The buyer looked over the bike, knew the price & thought it was good at the time, thats why they call it a "used" purchase, you may get a "good used deal" or a "bad used deal", its a 50/50 gamble, but you must look at the cost of major repairs when considering buying used, after all it is the "buyers choice" to close the deal.
Nitro-fish, if you think I’m somehow out of line by recommending to this member to seek legal counsel to find out if he has any recourse to improve his situation, then you are just ignorant, but that is already evident buy you little rant about group rides, and getting lost, and suing someone, really WTF are you babbling about. How would you handle this situation; bend over and take the big dealership c@ck with a smile, THAT’S what’s wrong with people today. My Harley is the only new vehicle I ever bought, so I know all about the pitfalls of buying used equipment. We are not talking about buying a used bike from Uncle JoJo’s Buy Here Pay Here Bargain Used Cars. This bike was purchased at a dealership, which has the resources and the factory-trained technicians on hand to conduct a thorough pre-trade in inspection, how else would they “value” the trade in. What do you think happens, the T-shirt girl spins the trade-in value wheel, or maybe they have some special scratch tickets? If they didn’t do a thorough inspection, then shame on them for taking the cheap way out, but once they accept the trade-in, it is their bike to sell, they own it until they do sell it, and they should know the actual condition of any bike they own and sell, both new and used, if not for legal purposes then just for the credibility of their name. Weather intentional or due to their cheapskate practices, that dealership misrepresented that motorcycle, assuming the OP’s story is on the up and up. Now then, you and all your group-ride buddies saddle up and head on over to the Open House this weekend, get yourself some fresh HD riding apparel for the new season, and be sure to tell everyone at the dealership what a great job they are doing. The first 500 get a free hot dog.

Old 05-07-2011 | 09:44 AM
Nitro-Fish
Intermediate

Let me check with my lawyer first to see if it's in my best interest to accept the free hotdog! Oh better yet, if it upsets my stomach, I'll accept responsibility for making a bad decision.........

No, I wouldn't just let the dealer just get over on me, but I would try to work with them myself as opposed to getting lawyers involved; most of the time the lawyers are the only ones that benefit from a lawsuit (maybe you are a lawyer trying to strum up business?). If the dealer wouldn't work with me, I would take the savings from making the greatly discounted used purchase (one would think the discount made the deal sweet enough to even consider) and use it to get my scoot fixed to my liking and chalk it up to a lesson learned. Then just get the word out to as many prospective buyers to avoid the dealership, word of mouth does wonders around here, a few lost sales is satisfaction enough. When I go into a used purchase on anything I look at what it would cost to make major repairs and weigh the used price plus the cost of major repairs before closing a deal; that way it doesn't matter if it stops running the minute I get it home. Just remember TANSTAAFL; if a deal sounds too good to be true then it usually is, buyer beware!

Old 05-07-2011 | 10:57 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member

I buy new and this is why. It's also why I don't really subscribe to the "do it yourself" school of motorcycle mechanics. There are a lot of guys that do it themselves and screw it up. You better know what you're getting into and know what you're doing, and how to do it correctly when you work on your bike, or else this is the result. I've got a relative that's a Harley tech, and she makes a majority of her living fixing other peoples fkups. If you know you can do the job correctly, go for it, but don't "think" you know when you really don't.

Last edited by roadking2000; 05-07-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-07-2011 | 11:17 AM
sl954
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Nitro-Fish
^^^ THIS! ^^^ Geez "call a lawyer" WTF

Quick Reply: Dealers and my very well taught lesson.