Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealers and my very well taught lesson.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011 | 05:39 AM
rlowride
Road Warrior

When you buy used....
You are buying someone elses problem...
People usually don't sell or get rid of good stuff...
Now, some people do upgrade, or want new, or just in general want a different bike...
But.... You are buying used...

With that being said...
I always buy used..
Wth... I like to tinker.... And ripping apart a new bike to see what things look like or how they work is not cool tp me...
Good luck and just have fun with it now!

Old 05-04-2011 | 05:52 AM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rlowride
When you buy used....
You are buying someone elses problem...
People usually don't sell or get rid of good stuff...
Now, some people do upgrade, or want new, or just in general want a different bike...
But.... You are buying used...

With that being said...
I always buy used..
Wth... I like to tinker.... And ripping apart a new bike to see what things look like or how they work is not cool tp me...
Good luck and just have fun with it now!
...really?...guess you haven't noticed the hundreds of posts by people on this board over the last few years or so that go something like this..."I'm thinking of trading my 07 for an 09 I saw at the dealer, is the new frame really worth it?"...as a matter of fact..WAY too many people trade perfectly good low mileage bikes because of some new tweak Harley does....

Old 05-04-2011 | 06:25 AM
who?me?
Cruiser

I think you are beating on yourself a little too much. I sort of did the same thing with a Porsche 911S earlier in my life. Can't change the past, make a plan, move forward at a rate you can afford. I eventually had a nice car. This can be a nice bike done right after you get through.

Old 05-04-2011 | 06:32 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member

Sorry for the problems your having. I would make a list of the problems/costs and show it to the dealer to let them know that you got a lemon but I wouldn't expect much more than an apology and a little sympathy. Their reaction will most likely dictate whether or not you ever do business with them again.

I wouldn't try to recoup any losses through them. I believe you will be better off just getting the bike back into shape.

I always buy used bikes. There are a lot of low mileage garage queens out there at a good price. I steer clear of anything that has been modified.

Old 05-04-2011 | 06:56 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

You got hornswaggled, call a lawyer. When they took that bike on trade, they inspected it, so they at least knew about the external issues. I would have to agree they misrepresented that machine, I hope your contract fine print doesn't say "as is" anywhere.

Old 05-04-2011 | 07:16 AM
klap
Road Master

..somebody traded in a hack job they cobbled together and got over on the dealer..you're fkt..

Old 05-04-2011 | 07:24 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Guntoter
This is why I am very wary of any used vehicle. Many people trade off or sell a vehicle only because it is screwed up in some way and they want to unload it. Sometimes it is hard to tell what that problem is until you already have it.
+1 this is why I always try to buy new, and if I can't buy new, I try to buy from somebody I know took care of the vehicle.

Old 05-04-2011 | 07:27 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member

when buying used it's always a gamble no matter who you purchase from. Don't ask me how I know--
Originally Posted by TO34
Cliff notes at the bottom, kinda long rant/dealer

So if anyone has read any of my threads you know I picked up a 2000 Ultra Classic Peace Officer Edition. Like any bike at a dealer it looked clean and test rode well. I looked the bike over from head to toe and really didn't see any wear besides just age.

Now I have had two trips to my Indy because of "odd" oil pressure and discovered the that SE Cam plate plunger was blowing oil all over the place.
So I get a phone call from my indy guy & there is a NUT! a damn NUT was being used as a spacer on the spring! So I replaced it with the Basiley Spring /plunger upgrade. (warning #1 something isn't right)

A few weeks later I'm back in the indy shop because it sounds like hell in the motor. Thought maybe it was a oil issue or something else.. but turned out one of the valves was stuck/fused because of carbon build up. Funny the dealer told me the motor had just had a rebuild only 10k miles ago.
And yes before you ask... there was a receipt for a rebuild from a now-closed indy shop. (waring #2 something ins't right)

It was also at this time the indy dealer discovered SE adjustable push-rods, Woods TW-6 Cams. But wait, it gets better no update of any sort of the EFI and it still had the STOCK air cleaner on it. What a cluster-F! In other words a very half-a## job of who knows what stage upgrade. So now the bike is back to running stock cams and adjusted the push rods for them. and yes there is a serious difference in ride from the Woods to the Stock cams miss them already. (warning #3 something isn't right and guess what I'm out some serious cash! labor is a bitch)

I was also told and informed that the bike had never had any damage of any sorts.. But after this last weekend when I broke down my bike for a good wash , wax before the summer sun does it's best to screw up the paint I discover a split in the rear fender.. now thats damn odd shouldn't it be steel? Nope looks like the whole fender is a fiberglass replacement. So now I have to replace that too.

I pull the tour pak apart to clean it up check the wires just make sure its all in good order and discover inspection stickers under the tour pak liner from 2002. Now mind you not the date of inspection of 2002 but date of manufactured 2002!

So I set off and start to really dig into the bike & find that the left side side body cover for the fuses does not match the right.

At this point I have the bike torn down & using my laser guide to check the frame to ensure its straight, thankfully it is. Wife thought I had lost my mind.

I really want to call up the dealer & just go off but I know thats pointless but damn really ? Im not sure who got over on who... the 1st owner on the trade in or the dealer selling it to me?

Can I really blame the dealer maybe, can I blame myself for being a idiot? YES! I should of known something was up with the price I got it at.

I called the DMV that was fun.. bike was never reported in an accident but this is Cal so who the #$%^& knows.

Cliff Notes:
I am Idiot , never trust a dealer!
My list of upgrades just got a lot bigger.

Old 05-04-2011 | 08:44 AM
vaughn4380
Advanced

Originally Posted by klap
..somebody traded in a hack job they cobbled together and got over on the dealer...

I think this post sums it up, the dealer most likely had no clue about the internal problems. Even the body work would be hard to find unless you dissassembled the bike like you did to clean it. You even said they had a receipt from another shop showing a motor refresh? Sounds like that shop screwed over you, the previous owner, and the dealer.

I would still talk to the dealer in a calm manner and try to work something out that is bennificial to you both, like a discounted labor rate to fix everything. See what they offer. If they are smart they want to keep you as a customer and will work with you.

Old 05-04-2011 | 09:00 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Soudns like you need to go trade it in for a new bike, to me.

Buying used is always a gamble. When I traded in my 2005, they just did an external look.....they didn't open the engine up and take fenders off.

As it's used, there is no liability on the dealer...they didn't know of any of these problems.

If they did, then there is your reason why the price was so good...my guess.

I am blessed that I can afford to buy new. These problems are non-existent.

My days of rebuilding old **** is over, thank God.

~Joe

Quick Reply: Dealers and my very well taught lesson.