Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Likely stupid questions - but ah'm a newbie!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 12:55 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Likely stupid questions - but ah'm a newbie!

Okay, guys......got some questions for ya! Good answers appreciated - truthful ones even more so!

1. Dealer prep - is that a "real" charge, or just something a dealer figures that they can tack on?

2. Transport costs - same question.

3. "Deals" - is there something I should ask/look for on the purchase of a new Ultra in terms of any kind of special "gimmes"?

4. Extended warranty - I know that with many vehicles, you can buy the extended warranty at any time prior to the expiration of the OEM warranty. Is the same true with HD? Is it better to buy it at my local dealer, or is there a dealer out there making special deals on 'em like so many others do? I will want the HD extended warranty - learned a long time ago that 3rd-party warranties are usually less than worth it!

5. Reverse kit. Anyone here have one? Feedback?

I think that's about got it for now....if there's something else I should consider/think about, please feel free to tell me!

Thanks!!

George "The Texas Redneck" & Pat "Schoolmarm" Mandry
NRA Life
"In the shadow of the Alamo, any man looks small!"
www.alamorun.com

Old 10-25-2006, 01:26 AM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Likely stupid questions - but ah'm a newbie!

ORIGINAL: TexasRedneck

Okay, guys......got some questions for ya! Good answers appreciated - truthful ones even more so!

1. Dealer prep - is that a "real" charge, or just something a dealer figures that they can tack on?

2. Transport costs - same question.

3. "Deals" - is there something I should ask/look for on the purchase of a new Ultra in terms of any kind of special "gimmes"?

4. Extended warranty - I know that with many vehicles, you can buy the extended warranty at any time prior to the expiration of the OEM warranty. Is the same true with HD? Is it better to buy it at my local dealer, or is there a dealer out there making special deals on 'em like so many others do? I will want the HD extended warranty - learned a long time ago that 3rd-party warranties are usually less than worth it!

5. Reverse kit. Anyone here have one? Feedback?

I think that's about got it for now....if there's something else I should consider/think about, please feel free to tell me!

Thanks!!

George "The Texas Redneck" & Pat "Schoolmarm" Mandry
NRA Life
"In the shadow of the Alamo, any man looks small!"
www.alamorun.com
This is how I feel about all of your questions and I've been dealing for vehicles for a long time. Now just because some of these things are a screw job like setup and doc. charges doesn't mean you won't have to pay them since most of the dealers add them on and in the Phoenix metro area they all charge about the same.

1. Dealer prep or setup as they call it is a screw job and is tacked on for lots of extra profit along with documentation charges, since when do we have to pay for them to do the paperwork on a 20K+ bike or car.

2. Transportation charges do show on the HD site, wether they are that much it's hard to say.

3. Talk to all the dealers in your area and go with the lowest out the door price or have the closest one match the price.

4. Extended warranty's and all the other warranty's like tire and wheel and pre-paid service are a high profit items for the dealers, JMHO and I never buy any of them whether it's on a car or MC.

5. I use my feet.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:40 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

yep

Old 10-25-2006, 08:46 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Ditto!

Old 10-25-2006, 09:28 AM
lenrough
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ONLY thing to give consideration to is maintenance packages some of the dealerships are offering these days. I took my 03RKC in for 20k service last spring and the dealer was going to charge 600+. OUCH. SO service manager says... since you ride a lot here's the deal... 600 + 1300 and you get unlimited scheduled maintenance for the next three years. IF you do all your own stuff it's not a good deal (obviously)... if you don't ride all the time it's not a good deal... if you put 10,000 miles or more a year on your scoot then it's worth considering... figure 2500 mile oil changes $75.00 each (x4/yr = $300) 5000 mile interval warranty service most places $300-$450 (x2/yr = $600-900) and 10,000 mile interval service $600.... that's $1500 you will spend a year at the dealership if you have them do all the maintenance. In my case, that maintenance can be done at any of the dealerships owned by the same corporation which are in NM, CO, AZ, and SoCAL... I know I've already recovered the initial $1900 I ponied up compared to paying for each visit. And now I tool in to the dealership, drop the scoot off, sit around for an hour or two, drink coffee, read Thunderpress and ride home. Yes, I'm lazy, but I don't have to figure out where to dispose of used oil either.

Old 10-25-2006, 09:59 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

You could go to 10 different dealers and see 10 different prices for the prep fee.Depending on the dealer,it may be negotiable.

When you are in the process of buying,ask for a discount on accessories.

Extended warranties can be bought before the std. warranty experies.

Some dealers will have the total price shown on the bikes and others will not.

Do your homework and shop.

Old 10-25-2006, 10:44 AM
Viejo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my humble opinion here,,,,, If you have ever bought a car, truck, boat, motorcycle, etc.

The dealer has to pay someone to get your motorcycle ready and check'd over. Some one has to wash and detail it. Yes it IS a real expense to the dealer, and yes a fair charge.

The motorcycle has to get to the dealer location (freight) you pay it on everything youbuy weather you know it or not.

Doc fees are set by the state (at least Texas). There are many documents and registration efforts to sell a motor vehicle. It is a fair charge.

It cost a LOT of money to operate a dealership...a LOT of money. If you want a dealer that does not make a profit, he will not be around very long. No one would invest in a dealership of any kind that could not realize a return on investment.
No, I am not a dealer, but I do work in the business world. HD is a great product, if you don't think so sell yours, but to expect a business investment of BIG BIG bucks to operate at a loss is not very rational.
Did not mean to get spazo, but this forum is made up of very sharp people, and to expect to have a new car, boat, snowmobile, house, or motorcycle or whatever, without the dealer making a profit is not very realistic.

Old 10-25-2006, 11:00 AM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before you enter any HD dealer....practice bending over and touching your toes....this exercise helps to keep the pain at a tolerable level![sm=huh.gif]

Old 10-25-2006, 11:07 AM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: bountyhunter

Before you enter any HD dealer....practice bending over and touching your toes....this exercise helps to keep the pain at a tolerable level![sm=huh.gif]
And bring some Vasoline!

My dealer never even asked me to pay dealer prep or delivery, also ask for first service to be thrown in. You should be able to get a less then then msrp with no fees this time of year. Well, in Wisconsin anyway.

Old 10-25-2006, 11:11 AM
Cowracer
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if they were cheap, then everyone would own one, not just us select few.

Tim

Quick Reply: Likely stupid questions - but ah'm a newbie!