Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Gloves

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006 | 03:08 PM
ThePunster
Advanced
Default RE: Heated Gloves

I have the same cold finger tip issue - do the heated grips solve it? If the grips are heated do you need to wear thinner gloves to feel it, or does it get through the winter bike gloves?

Old 10-27-2006 | 03:51 PM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: ThePunster

I have the same cold finger tip issue - do the heated grips solve it? If the grips are heated do you need to wear thinner gloves to feel it, or does it get through the winter bike gloves?
I would like to know the answer to this also. I also have the finger tip issue.

Old 10-27-2006 | 03:52 PM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: SMenasco

G3 Gerbing gloves are a super product. Very high quality. I use the switch instead of the thermostat. For me, 45 degrees and below is where I put them on.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1638/A39C1D73699F419A963D245DD1AC2CF3.jpg[/IMG]
Does the wire harness come with these gloves or do you order that seperate? Their site doesn't really say.

Old 10-27-2006 | 04:54 PM
WI George
6th Gear

I have an 06' SEUC with heated grips and seat. The seat has 2 settings with high being much too warm and the heated grips work great BUT my finger tips still get cold. Seems to work best with heavy gloves, wished I could use medium weight ones but it only works well if the temp is above 40. Still glad I have the heated grips though, they really do help but the finger tips are a concern.

Old 10-27-2006 | 05:47 PM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain

My .02 worth....

I have a set of the Gerbing heated glove inserts which work great. However wearing those inside a pair of HD winter gloves definitely makes for stiff movement of the fingers. In regards to heat, I had to keep turning the inserts off and on since they would get extremely warm (I never did get a thermostat). I had also used their wiring harness, added some length to the right side of the harness (for the right side sleeve), had sewn in some elastic straps to the inside of the jacket and ran the harness through those. That way the harness stays in place without any problems. The "Y" pigtail would hang out the left front bottom of the jacket. I installed a cigar adapter in the fairing so now it is quite easy to plug / unplug myself from the bike. Their harness comes with an 18" length of wiring that has the lighter plug and built-in on/off switch. This is what the gloves harness plugs into.

With all that being said, I was given a pair of the HD heated gloves about a month ago. The wiring harness from the Gerbing inserts worked just fine with the HD gloves. The HD gloves are much more comfortable in regards to the stiffness but not near as warm as the inserts. I guess that has to do with the inserts being right next to the skin as opposed to the HD gloves having the heat wiring inside the gloves with the insulation...harder for the heat to get to the hand. I wore them the other morning and didn't have to turn them off once. I think they could stand to be a bit warmer but I would rather have the extra flexibility of the hands that was lost with the Gerbing inserts. The HD gloves do keep the hands warm but just to the point of not being too cold.

Hope this helps in some way.

Brian

Old 10-27-2006 | 07:51 PM
wjl24
Road Captain

I'm looking at heated gloves also. There is a company called powerlet that makes a universal harness and one made to bolt right on to the harley horn. The gerbing gloves plug right into the harness and you can also get an adapter to use the same plug to hook up your battery tender while storing bike. Pretty nice set up. Universal mount on ebay around $38.00, harley mount at powerlet $80.00 to $95.00 depending on what extras adaptors you want.
I'd rather have grips but I've heard so many people complain about reliability?

Old 10-27-2006 | 09:36 PM
SMenasco
Road Master

The Gerbing G3 gloves come with the basic cord that connects the gloves together. I also bought the manual switch and the Powerlet male plug. I use the Powerlet female receptacle that installs on the horn bolt and wires directly to the battery. I do not put the glove wiring in my jacket. I thought the wiring might blow around in the wind, but it doesn't.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1638/A523EBF8350845EB98797D15D5581BBE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-27-2006 | 09:49 PM
harleybill
Cruiser

I have the heated grips on my 06 UCSE but, my finger tips still get cold, go with the gloves. I have used gloves in previous years on my other bike and cold was never an issue at above 20 degrees.

Old 10-27-2006 | 10:33 PM
Dixie Rider
Cruiser

Use the harley gloves all winter, love them. Have to use the rheostat or you will burn the fingerprints right off your fingers. You can get the same effect with Gerbing's. Harley just wants more of your $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Heated gloves are well worth the expense.

Old 10-27-2006 | 11:15 PM
Buddha4
Road Warrior

If you buy the Harley gloves from some of the online retailers at 20% off then the HD are actually cheaper than the Gerbings.

Quick Reply: Heated Gloves