Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overtight Drive Belt?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 11:30 PM
CT-Bagger
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lp
Run it loose. There is nothing to gain in running it tight.
Running it tight will make it hot, last shorter, wear on bearings, and run a better chance to instantly destroy a belt if it picks up a rock.
But don't take my word for it.
Some long distance fellas run it so loose that it can slip (jump a tooth) under the right conditions.
Peter Forwood the dude who travels the world with his 95 EGC is one of those dudes.

lp
Is everyone forgetting to mention the bike has to be completely cold when checking tensions.
Running a belt too loose could spell failure. The drive-train is engineered for the specified tension.
Don't be a backyard Goober mechanic and stick to the spec's.

The following users liked this post:
M Oclaf (05-14-2023)
Old 05-04-2011, 07:17 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by emwolb
when your friend put your bike up on his lift to adjust your belt tension was the rear tire off the table or off the ground? it has to be sitting on its own weight while adjusting the belt.
Bike was sitting on the lift as is it was not jacked. I'm going to put it on my jack tonight and spin the wheels to see if I can notice anything. Bikes got 54K .. perhaps it's a wheel bearing or brake pad rubbing bad.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:20 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,837 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Originally Posted by CT-Bagger
Is everyone forgetting to mention the bike has to be completely cold when checking tensions.
Running a belt too loose could spell failure. The drive-train is engineered for the specified tension.
Don't be a backyard Goober mechanic and stick to the spec's.
Only suggesting you tighten to specs and then back off a little. Running it a little loose does NOT spell failure. Can we see some empirical data on that?
Do a little reading on Harley belt failure before you start calling people "Goobers" pal.
BTW, are you talking Michigan cold or Florida cold?

lp

Last edited by lp; 05-04-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:25 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Just because he used the tension gauge doesnt mean he did correctly.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:50 PM
mayer32
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Super Glide

Recently bought a Super Glide. I have the drive belt tension tool. I need the procedure and specs to check adjustment of the belt.

Thanks Doug

2005 Road King Classic

Old 06-02-2011, 04:59 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Had my belt tool for over 20 years. It has earned its keep! I don't sit on my bike when checking tension, just make sure it is at the easy end of the scale of tightness!

The belt will be tightest when the rear wheel axle is in line with the swingarm axle and trans pulley. It will loosen when the wheel axle is above or below that line.

rocketnorton (05-14-2023)
Old 06-02-2011, 05:16 PM
oldwildwally
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I got bought my used 2002 ultra the belt was real tight..I adjusted it with a rider on it that weighed close to me ..I ended up having to replace the input shaft bearing/seal when I had the clutch replaced ..I was given the old bearing and yeah it had alot of play in it and it's a big roller bearing ..so now I make sure it's on the loose side and always test it with a rider on it ..I would rather replace a hundred dollar belt than what I had to pay for the bearing work ....

Old 06-03-2011, 06:51 AM
Dale_K
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just loosened my belt tension slightly this week. I had used the tool for the first time when I set it earlier and I could get three marks of deflection (barely) but I don't have any way to simulate the rider's weight doing it by myself. It sure seemed tight but I convinced myself it was OK. I started hearing a little howling noise lately. It didn't vary with rpm or clutch in vs out so I suspected the transmission and decided to loosen the belt a little. The howling noise basically went away so I think it was related to excessive load from the belt. My experience with my EVO era FLT is that the belt squeeks/chirps when it's too loose.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation

I wish the manual would include instruction on how to check it while you're sitting on the seat.

As far as having "someone" sit on the bike, there ain't no someones in my family as big as me.

M Oclaf (05-14-2023)
Old 06-03-2011, 11:18 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sharknose
I wish the manual would include instruction on how to check it while you're sitting on the seat.

As far as having "someone" sit on the bike, there ain't no someones in my family as big as me.
I don't have any someones who would want to haul a Glide off its stand! That's why I do it with nobody on it.

Quick Reply: Overtight Drive Belt?