Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might be the DUMBEST question ever so no laughing!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 01:16 AM
nowski91381
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Might be the DUMBEST question ever!!!

So I'm leaving for a 2000'ish mile roadtrip tomorrow around noon and I'm REALLY wanting to get a new set of grips(Get-A-Grips) while I'm on the road. I know it takes around 20 minutes or so to swap em out on a '07 without the TBW setup. Is there ANY chance at all that a tech at the Harley shop would assist in swapping em out? I'm sure I could do it, I've just never messed with the throttle cables on my bike and don't wanna mess anything up since I'll be mid-trip. Thanks for any opinions you guys might have! And if it's that easy, will I just need a few Torx bits and something to cut the old grip off with??? I'm not sure I can handle the stock grips for that long of a trip!

Last edited by nowski91381; 05-03-2011 at 01:40 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:22 AM
KutenFLHX
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

They are easy to change out. Just follow the instructions included and you shouldn't have a problem. I think the '07 bikes still glued on the left grip, so you will need to cut it off. You might want to bring along something to sand or cut the glue that tends to stick on the bars (when I replaced them on my VRod, I had a lot of glue that I needed to sand off to get the new grip on. I've changed out the grips on all of my bikes and it is easy to do.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:24 AM
nowski91381
Tourer

Originally Posted by KutenFLHX
They are easy to change out. Just follow the instructions included and you shouldn't have a problem. I think the '07 bikes still glued on the left grip, so you will need to cut it off. You might want to bring along something to sand or cut the glue that tends to stick on the bars (when I replaced them on my VRod, I had a lot of glue that I needed to sand off to get the new grip on. I've changed out the grips on all of my bikes and it is easy to do.
So it's that easy to get the cables back onto the rightside grip correctly without damaging them? Will I need to glue the left one on?

Old 05-03-2011, 01:28 AM
hockey8787
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yep just colapse the adjuster slip them on and readjust

Old 05-03-2011, 01:29 AM
hxturbo1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not hard but if you've never done it I wouldn't mess with it mid-trip. That's when everything gets dicey in the problem department.

You have to loosen throttle cables and then readjust. The old grips might be glued on and you would have to cut them off. Then you want a clean surface to reapply glue of some kind on the left side. Not a 20 minute job and I don't think that a dealer will help without charging.

Why don't you get up early and be at the dealer 1st thing when they open and try to get them to put you first in line.

Last edited by hxturbo1; 05-03-2011 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:33 AM
2nd Mike
Tourer

The throttle cables are easy.It's the glue that can be a pain!

Old 05-03-2011, 01:34 AM
nowski91381
Tourer

Originally Posted by hxturbo1
It's not hard but if you've never done it I wouldn't mess with it mid-trip. That's when everything gets dicey in the problem department.

You have to loosen throttle cables and then readjust. The old grips might be glued on and you would have to cut them off. Then you want a clean surface to reapply glue of some kind on the left side. Not a 20 minute job and I don't think that a dealer will help without charging.

Why don't you get up early and be at the dealer 1st thing when they open and try to get them to put you first in line.
I'm not leaving till noon, first dealer I'm coming across is about 2 hours away so I can't be there first thing. I wouldn't mind paying actually as long as I can get rid of the stupid stock grips. Woulda done it last week but this was kind of a last minute trip. Are most HD shops booked all day every day? I could call around the time I'm leaving and check if I can get it in...not a bad idea

Old 05-03-2011, 01:50 AM
hxturbo1
Tourer

Call ahead and tell them you are on a cross country trip. Some, but not all, dealers take extra good care of travelers. And for what it's worth, I rode cross country with the stock grips and they were fine for me. Those get a grips look pretty cool and I'm going to check them out.

Ride safe.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:17 AM
nowski91381
Tourer

Originally Posted by hxturbo1
Call ahead and tell them you are on a cross country trip. Some, but not all, dealers take extra good care of travelers. And for what it's worth, I rode cross country with the stock grips and they were fine for me. Those get a grips look pretty cool and I'm going to check them out.

Ride safe.
I'll call em and see what they say. I've heard those new grips are pretty nice, hope I can get em.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:39 AM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Remember the glue should set for 24 hr before use. but I'd say 1 hour would be fine as long as you don't get into a situation where you have to pull on it to much, like riding the bike. If ya move it after it starts to set but is not fully cured it will never stick right and you'll have to do it again. and that is a pain. At least wait untill the end of the ride day to do the left side, that way it will have over night to cure. JM02

Quick Reply: Might be the DUMBEST question ever so no laughing!